Upgrade the amp or DAC first?
Feb 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

murl

Head-Fier
I am a new member here and have been enjoying the three pair of headphones that I have been listening to, Sennheiser momentum 2.0, grado rs-2, and Audeze LCD-3s. I am currently using the schiit modi multibit with a channel island vhp-2. I spend most of my time listening to the LCD-3s. I use my MacBook Pro with roon and tidal. Was considering an upgrade of the AMP or DAC but can't do both at once. Was thinking about the Schiit Mjolnir. My budget is $1000.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 12
I am a new member here and have been enjoying the three pair of headphones that I have been listening to, Sennheiser momentum 2.0, grado rs-2, and Audeze LCD-3s. I am currently using the schiit modi multibit with a channel island vhp-2. I spend most of my time listening to the LCD-3s. I use my MacBook Pro with roon and tidal. Was considering an upgrade of the AMP or DAC but can't do both at once. Was thinking about the Schiit Mjolnir. My budget is $1000.

That DAC you have is an overachiever so I would upgrade the amp first.

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 12
I had just gotten a pair of headphones that I took on vacation and read about the Schiit company while on vacation.  I just ordered the DAC as an impulse thing and wow it made a huge difference over using the one in my computer.  I question whether upgrading the DAC would be a huge improvement.  I have read about the Yggy and a lot of the chord products such as the DAVE but feel that those are out of my price range. I am interested in tubes more of a curiosity thing but felt like the Mjolnir would be a decent middle ground to go either way,  

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 12
Definitely upgrade the amp first especially with the lcd 3. It needs the power to really shine in my opinion. You'd hear a more noticeable difference with the amp vs the dac.

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 12
My next amp is the Schiit Mjolnir 2. I will use it in balanced mode with my headphones.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 12

Save your money and just enjoy the music. That class A amp provides enough power at low distortion and noise levels for all those that an amp upgrade isn't likely to have any audible difference unless you're listening at louder levels than you are now. The Modi Multibit is as good as it gets for that kind of money and the diminishing returns is even more pronounced on DACs.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 12
Yes agreed. I've never heard the Schiit modi multibit but the bifrost uber, an unbalanced DAC @ ~$500, sounded indistinguishable from my Violectric V850 @ ~$1650, balanced. And, the Lyr 2 with aftermarket tubes @ ~$625 sounded eerily close to the V281 @ ~$2300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back