upgrading from a fiio q5 looking for a dap
Jan 24, 2019 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Blackjackx1031

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a dap for my hd 660s ( i know theyre not great for portable but i dont care) as i find lugging around several components cumbersome. Looking at the 500 - 700 dollar range and want the dac to have a built in amp and to also occasionally be used as a source for a pc and ps4 at work. I dont use alot of streaming but would like the option for the future. So far ive really only looked into the onkyo DP -X1A( i dont believe this can be used as a source for the pc, correct me if im wrong), hiby r6, cayin n5iis, the fiio x7 . I also want a balanced connection due to just spending money on a nice cable. Im open to other suggestions as well.

Ive posted to several sub reddits with no luck hoping you guys can help. I just recently got into the head fi game . Just got the hd 660s after upgrading from the fidelio x2s .

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 7
I am looking for a dap for my hd 660s ( i know theyre not great for portable but i dont care) as i find lugging around several components cumbersome. Looking at the 500 - 700 dollar range and want the dac to have a built in amp and to also occasionally be used as a source for a pc and ps4 at work. I dont use alot of streaming but would like the option for the future. So far ive really only looked into the onkyo DP -X1A( i dont believe this can be used as a source for the pc, correct me if im wrong), hiby r6, cayin n5iis, the fiio x7 . I also want a balanced connection due to just spending money on a nice cable. Im open to other suggestions as well.

Ive posted to several sub reddits with no luck hoping you guys can help. I just recently got into the head fi game . Just got the hd 660s after upgrading from the fidelio x2s .

The Q5 already has more power than practically any DAP out there. And besides wouldn't you still lug around the same number of components? You'd still need a phone for all other reasons that a phone is for, eliminating the DAC-HPamp in favor of a DAP isn't going to make the DAP function as a phone to replace that device.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 7
The Q5 already has more power than practically any DAP out there. And besides wouldn't you still lug around the same number of components? You'd still need a phone for all other reasons that a phone is for, eliminating the DAC-HPamp in favor of a DAP isn't going to make the DAP function as a phone to replace that device.

I dont need it to replace my phone. I dont use my q5 with my phone currently because the case i have on my phone is a wallet case and would be too thick to fit in my pocket. Right now i am using the q5 hooked up to a computer along with a hard drive to carry all my music with vlc to run them since my work computer i cant have personal stuff. With a dap i can eliminate the amp/dac and hard drive. I wouldnt mind carrying my phone and dap in my pocket.

Jan 25, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 7
I dont need it to replace my phone. I dont use my q5 with my phone currently because the case i have on my phone is a wallet case and would be too thick to fit in my pocket. Right now i am using the q5 hooked up to a computer along with a hard drive to carry all my music with vlc to run them since my work computer i cant have personal stuff. With a dap i can eliminate the amp/dac and hard drive. I wouldnt mind carrying my phone and dap in my pocket.

You'll just need to accept that in terms of power output you'll either have a lot less than what you get out of the Q5 or you get close to it but you drastically reduce battery life...which, if you're not carrying one now, adds another device to your pockets (a power bank).

Look into the Fiio X7 Mk2 and check out the amp module upgrades for it. There's also an Ibasso with a balanced output module.

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #6 of 7
You'll just need to accept that in terms of power output you'll either have a lot less than what you get out of the Q5 or you get close to it but you drastically reduce battery life...which, if you're not carrying one now, adds another device to your pockets (a power bank).

Look into the Fiio X7 Mk2 and check out the amp module upgrades for it. There's also an Ibasso with a balanced output module.

I see what your saying , thanks for the input. Maybe ill hold onto the q5 and find some backup storage for my iphone x.

Jan 25, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 7
Ive tried many daps (kept some sold some), and the q5 is the best for portable use with a phone. It has great power and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back