Upgrading from HD 555s - Need some recommendations
Jun 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xandal

New Head-Fier
I've had my HD 555s for about four years now.  I finally have some extra cash and am looking to upgrade my headphones.  I use them for pretty much everything.  They are practically speaker replacements for my computer.  I use them for gaming, music, movies, etc.  I also use them incredibly frequently (sometimes for 8+ hours a day).  I love my 555s for a few reasons.  The best part is that they're extremely comfortable.  I hardly notice that they're on my head most of the time and it's actually more comfortable for me to have them on when I'm at my computer.  They have a really balanced sound (or so it seems to me) so they work well for all of the things I use them for.  I listen to every kind of music you can think of (and I'm not exaggerating).  

So, effectively I'm looking for a better version of the 555s.  Something that is open-back, balanced, with a nice soundstage, and is incredibly comfortable.  I considered picking up the 558s, but I figured I'd ask for recommendations just in case.  I haven't really paid much attention to the headphone world in the past few years because my 555s have been great so far.  Anyway, all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Zach

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 8
Did you have a budget?
Sometimes Amazon has some really good deals on used HD-558s.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 8
My budget is pretty flexible, though I'm not looking to spend much more than 250-300.  I intend on using the headphones frequently and I want them to last for at least 5 years.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm, if you have a decent headphone amplifier to drive it.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 8
I do not have a headphone amplifier.  Also, I've had a pair of Beyerdynamic's similar to the DT 880s and they clamped a bit too hard to my head and became uncomfortable rather quickly, so I'm a bit skeptical about going with them.  Would you mind giving me a bit more information on them?  Like level of comfort, sound, and what kind of amp I'd need?

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 8
HD 598

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I do not have a headphone amplifier.  Also, I've had a pair of Beyerdynamic's similar to the DT 880s and they clamped a bit too hard to my head and became uncomfortable rather quickly, so I'm a bit skeptical about going with them.  Would you mind giving me a bit more information on them?  Like level of comfort, sound, and what kind of amp I'd need?

I own 7 Beyerdynamics and find them all relatively comfortable to wear, the Premiums have slighty less clamping force on the head, compared to the Pro version.
Your looking spend at least $66.30 for an AC power headphone amplifier (PAV2V) that can drive 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones.
The Beyer DT880 Pro 250-ohm are good headphones (balanced audio) for music, movies & gaming.
If you bought used DT880s, it's around $205 ($235 for new), plus $66.30 for the amp, total around $271.30 (or $302 for new)
If you bought a new sound card with built in head amp, and fairly good DAC chip (Sound Blaster Z), your looking at $80-$100

Another option might be to get the Senn HD-558s and a Asus Xonar DG ($30) or DGX ($45) sound card.
The DG(X) comes with a basic headphone amplifier and it's DAC should be better then whatever is built into the motherboard.

Amazon is selling used HD558s for $117 (includes shipping) and a used Xonar DGX for $35.
Also might think of getting the Shure 1/4" female to 1/8" male 6 inch adapter cable, $15.
So for around $167, you should get a decent audio quality boost over the HD555 (and you can sell the HD-555 for some cash)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back