Upgrading from HD598?
Jul 17, 2015 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PurpleCow

Head-Fier
I made a thread like this in the video gaming forum but I felt it would be better here after thinking about what I really wanted. So I want to upgrade from my HD598, I listen to a lot of music and play lots of games. I listen to all types of music so I don't prefer a certain genre over the others. I guess what I'm looking for is an all rounder, I want this to be my last purchase. Right now I use an onboard sound on my pc, but I can get a dac/amp to drive them if possible. My budget…I don't know, what I do know is that I want to put these new headphones on and forget that I have the HD598…I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg lol. So what do you guys think!?

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 14
I'd recommend the Fidelio x2.

I had a pair of Senns (Hd558 w/ foam mod) and the X2 was a step up in every category (soundstage, bass, mids & treble) while still retaining the classic neutral sound. It's slightly more colored and fun than the Senns but it plays great with every genre of music and is incredible if you're a gamer who likes sound whoring

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 14
I'd recommend the Fidelio x2.

I had a pair of Senns (Hd558 w/ foam mod) and the X2 was a step up in every category (soundstage, bass, mids & treble) while still retaining the classic neutral sound. It's slightly more colored and fun than the Senns but it plays great with every genre of music and is incredible if you're a gamer who likes sound whoring

How is the x2 compared to the akg 7xx?

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 14
  I made a thread like this in the video gaming forum but I felt it would be better here after thinking about what I really wanted. So I want to upgrade from my HD598, I listen to a lot of music and play lots of games. I listen to all types of music so I don't prefer a certain genre over the others. I guess what I'm looking for is an all rounder, I want this to be my last purchase. Right now I use an on-board sound on my PC, but I can get a dac/amp to drive them if possible. My budget…I don't know, what I do know is that I want to put these new headphones on and forget that I have the HD598…I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg lol. So what do you guys think!?

Over all audio budget would be helpful?
A Sound Blaster Z sound card ($80) is a decent DAC/amp and comes with SBX Headphone surround sound, how much could you spend for headphones?

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 14
  I'm thinking I can also go with the Xonar Essence STX 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010
or Modi/Magni combo

Here is a used Essence STX for $120
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252030874972?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Just remember to disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before install and internal sound card and it's driver/software.
You might consider getting the STX and installing it and see if it improves the audio quality of your current HD598, maybe enough that you will hold buying other headphones?

Or another combo to look at, Philips Fidelio X1 (used $150-$175) and an Asus Xonar DX sound card (used $60) and a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60).
The FiiO E11K headphone amplifier has a less then 1-Ohm out put impedance :)
Which is a little better for driving 30-Ohm headphones (Fidelio), over the STX's 10-Ohm output impedance (better damping).

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 14

Here is a used Essence STX for $120
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252030874972?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Just remember to disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before install and internal sound card and it's driver/software.
You might consider getting the STX and installing it and see if it improves the audio quality of your current HD598, maybe enough that you will hold buying other headphones?

Or another combo to look at, Philips Fidelio X1 (used $150-$175) and an Asus Xonar DX sound card (used $60) and a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60).
The FiiO E11K headphone amplifier has a less then 1-Ohm out put impedance :)
Which is a little better for driving 30-Ohm headphones (Fidelio), over the STX's 10-Ohm output impedance (better damping).

To be honest, the more I read about what my next cans will be the more uncertain I am. I do like the idea of maybe just going with the STX to see if I can live with the HD598s. I know there are far better headphones out there but I also think I don't have enough experience to know or tell the difference which is sad to say :frowning2:

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 14
I used an Essence STX for a few years and I liked it (I had spend $55 upgrading the op-amps on my STX).
Spend $300 replacing it with an Audio-GD NFB-15 and audio quality was only slightly better then my Essence STX.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 14
  I used an Essence STX for a few years and I liked it (I had spend $55 upgrading the op-amps on my STX).
Spend $300 replacing it with an Audio-GD NFB-15 and audio quality was only slightly better then my Essence STX.

What headphones did you use with the essence stx? I see you have the dt880 and K7XX, how are they compared to each other?

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 14
I tried just about every headphone I own with the Essence STX.
But I bought the AKG K7XX long after I replaced the STX with the NFB-15.32.
My Dt880s are buried in a storage locker, so can't directly compare them the the K7XX.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 14
  will I need an amp if I go with the X2 or would I be able to use it on my Macbook Pro onboard sound on my PC?

The Philips Fidelio X2 would work fine being plugged directly into a Mac or PC

At a later date you could always try a Schiit Fulla ($79, USB/DAC/amp) with whatever computer you have (Mac or PC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back