Upgrading from Sennheiser cx300 II
May 12, 2011 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

-sandro-

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm new here. I currently own a pair of sennheiser cx300 II which I'm very satisfied of, for the audio quality delivered compared to what I paid (£12 at amazon UK!!), I think you can't find a better deal. They have very good bass and overall quality, what bothers me a little is that  I'm not 100% satisfied with the soundstage and mids/highs. The sound in a way tends to be a little centered for my taste instead of surrounding you plus vocals or guitar could sound metallic, not really metallic but non that clear/real. The big problem about this hp is also that the 100-250hz range is extremely loud that really ruins the sound, but my creative zen took care of that with the EQ otherwise I seriously wouldn't be able to hear my music.

I've been thinking about the Head Direct/HIfiman RE2 for about 1 year now, I liked the "official" review and sound perfect for me and my budget. It troubles me that it's from 2008 and something better (for the money) could have come out in the meanwhile and the updated mini review didn't make it look that good.

I'm NOT a heavy bass lover, infact as I said I turn it down on the cx300. I prefer much more quality, soundstage, clarity, fidelity of the overall audio than heaving bass but I also love a warm sound.
Will the RE2 be an upgrade in quality compared to the CX300?

I'm using a Creative Zen. Budget $35-40.

Thank you

May 12, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 10
I would strongly recommend you check out Joker's thread.  It's basically the holy grail to those looking for new headphones and don't know where to start. :p  Basically just read through the price tier you're looking for and see what suits your fancy and report back with your choice, see what people think.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-165-iems-compared-vsonic-gr07-added-05-08

Also, the CX300 isn't exactly the good deal it used to be, its position has long been usurped by various new chinese brands, like meelec, soundmagic and brainwavz, along with a few others.  Oh, also, you might want to check out these:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551735/like-the-playaz-n3-xears-have-the-brand-new-nature-n3i

While it's not on Joker's review thread yet, it's an amazingly good deal if you use the coupon, a 60 euro headphone for 25 euros.

May 12, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 10
The Brainwavz M1 is a pretty good value around that price point.  Same with the Soundmagic PL50 (@ 50 bucks).  Those are the only two I've tried that haven't had some significant flaws in the under 50 dollar price range.  Supposedly the JVC FX67's are awesome too...there's a new thread explaining those recently.  I was curious so I ordered a pair (@ 20 bucks).

May 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 10
I seriously had no idea there were so many choices, I'm looking through all the reviews... the Brainwavz M1 really interests me for the 7.1 rating for SQ. And they're only $29.50 shipped for preorder!

May 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Maybe your expectations are a little bit to high for a $30 IEM?, Perhaps you should spend more and get more:)?

May 12, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Maybe your expectations are a little bit to high for a $30 IEM?, Perhaps you should spend more and get more:)?

What exactly would make you say that?  The OP doesn't like the CX300...there are plenty of great IEMs for under 50 bucks that are much more well rounded than the Senns.  No need to spend more than your budget allows.

May 12, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I seriously had no idea there were so many choices, I'm looking through all the reviews... the Brainwavz M1 really interests me for the 7.1 rating for SQ. And they're only $29.50 shipped for preorder!

The brainwavz are pretty well received around here.  They'd definitely be a good choice if they sound like what you're looking for.

May 13, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 10

I read that the cyclone PR1 pro is rated higher than the brainwavz M1. Are the pr100 and pr200 replacements still better than the M1? What's the difference between them?

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 10
I got the m1, what's the usage of the bi-flange tips?
I tried them and:
-they're less comfort
-they provide less bass and warmth
-they don't isolate sound more than the standard tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back