Upgrading from Sony V6.... AD900 vs K702/K701/Q701 ?
Dec 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nsx280ps

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to get a new set of cans, this time Im looking to get a set of open cans as I really think i would enjoy more soundstage and I mostly listen at home.  I only recently got into the full size headphones category, I listen to mostly trance, vocal trance, rock...  

For my budget, Im mainly considering a set of AD900, or one of the K702/K701/Q701....  If I get the AKGs I will be looking to swing for a budget amp/DAC, like the Fiio E10... But If Im getting the audio technicas, Ill be driving them through my AV Amp, Onkyo SR606, or the headphone jack of my Logitech Z2300.

I only gotten a small taste of the Q701 at my local best buy, of course, with no amp, it probably was somewhat useless, as I plugged them straight into a laptop at the store.... It sounded alright, but Im sure a proper amp would unlock their potential

Im not really sure how to put into words what my preferences are, I dont think I am a bass head, just the right amount is good enough.  I also got a pair of Crossfade LP recently hated these as they were too bassy and muddy, and a pair of Image Ones, which were way too bassy as well.....  As far as sound signature goes, I can only say I really really enjoy my current pair of Sony V6s, as well as the TFi 10... To me, the Sony does not sound too harsh to me despite being too bright to some, and they have just the right amount and punch/rumble of bass that I like...  To a lesser degree for earbuds, I also like the B&O A8s and the Sony E888 earbuds that I still have. 

Please offer me any suggestions

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 7
I went to q701s from MDR v6 and Grados huge upgrade. They destroy poorly mastered music but good tracks sound amazing. I'm running them out of a Xonar DX right now.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
I am looking to get a new set of cans, this time Im looking to get a set of open cans as I really think i would enjoy more soundstage and I mostly listen at home.  I only recently got into the full size headphones category, I listen to mostly trance, vocal trance, rock...  

For my budget, Im mainly considering a set of AD900, or one of the K702/K701/Q701....  If I get the AKGs I will be looking to swing for a budget amp/DAC, like the Fiio E10... But If Im getting the audio technicas, Ill be driving them through my AV Amp, Onkyo SR606, or the headphone jack of my Logitech Z2300.

I only gotten a small taste of the Q701 at my local best buy, of course, with no amp, it probably was somewhat useless, as I plugged them straight into a laptop at the store.... It sounded alright, but Im sure a proper amp would unlock their potential

Im not really sure how to put into words what my preferences are, I dont think I am a bass head, just the right amount is good enough.  I also got a pair of Crossfade LP recently hated these as they were too bassy and muddy, and a pair of Image Ones, which were way too bassy as well.....  As far as sound signature goes, I can only say I really really enjoy my current pair of Sony V6s, as well as the TFi 10... To me, the Sony does not sound too harsh to me despite being too bright to some, and they have just the right amount and punch/rumble of bass that I like...  To a lesser degree for earbuds, I also like the B&O A8s and the Sony E888 earbuds that I still have. 

Please offer me any suggestions

Heya,

If you go AKG, you may not want to try a budget option for amplification, they scale, so more is better there. I would look at something like the NFB-12 for a DAC/AMP option if you're not wanting to use your AV Receiver (which should be fine for most headphones honestly). The AD900 would be an easy route to go since it doesn't need much amplification and will give you a great sound stage and cover you very well. It's not bassy, it's rather neutral, but it's not bassless. The AKG Q701 would be another great option as you've listed both, but is a lot more dependent on the source material and amplifier to really make it sound like it really should. Ultimately it will cost you more to properly deal with it. Other headphones to consider include the Beyer Dynamic DT880, Fischer Audio FA-002, Sennheiser HD600 or HD598 and Ultrasone PRO 2500.

Very best,

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Heya,

If you go AKG, you may not want to try a budget option for amplification, they scale, so more is better there. I would look at something like the NFB-12 for a DAC/AMP option if you're not wanting to use your AV Receiver (which should be fine for most headphones honestly). The AD900 would be an easy route to go since it doesn't need much amplification and will give you a great sound stage and cover you very well. It's not bassy, it's rather neutral, but it's not bassless. The AKG Q701 would be another great option as you've listed both, but is a lot more dependent on the source material and amplifier to really make it sound like it really should. Ultimately it will cost you more to properly deal with it. Other headphones to consider include the Beyer Dynamic DT880, Fischer Audio FA-002, Sennheiser HD600 or HD598 and Ultrasone PRO 2500.

Very best,

Thanks everyone for their suggestions on the amp....

I know its probably not ideal, but if I decide to get the AKG, would my SR606 be powerful enough to drive them for the time being maybe a few months until I can afford a proper amp/dac combo?  Would it be a big improvement vs just plugging them right into my laptop?   Right now Im just running my laptop to the AV receiver, and plugging my cans into the receiver....

Here is my amp
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR606

Thanks

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:

Thanks everyone for their suggestions on the amp....

I know its probably not ideal, but if I decide to get the AKG, would my SR606 be powerful enough to drive them for the time being maybe a few months until I can afford a proper amp/dac combo?  Would it be a big improvement vs just plugging them right into my laptop?   Right now Im just running my laptop to the AV receiver, and plugging my cans into the receiver....

Here is my amp
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR606

Thanks

It would be a good improvement but not ideal. I think meeting the power requirement should be little problem but ultimate having a dedicated headphone amplifier will be good. The problem with using receivers is that the HO impedance is not ideal for a low impedance AKGs, thus you may get a worst frequency response and probably added THD+N. Your cheapest amplifier that can actually drive the AKG's is the Objective 2 headphone amplifier(available commercially as EPH-O2), if you are not afraid of DIY you should give it a try. Cost is about $100 with casing and everything and barebones is about 50 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back