Urgent recommendation, travelling in 2 weeks!
Oct 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

meolefx

New Head-Fier

Hi, I have been following this forums for some time now (1-2 years) to decide what would be my next headphone purchase...

So the time has finally come! in 2 weeks i'm travelling to the U.S I will be staying in Texas going back and forth from San Antonio to Austin. (I'm only going for 4 days)

So here is the big dilemma... My music taste is really vast; Blues, Rock, Metal, House, Techno, Electronica, Indie, Dubstep, Jazz, Reggae, Drum n' Bass, Hip Hop, Rap, Hard Rock, Clasical,  Afrycan Rythms, Pop, Synth Pop, you get the picture... there is just a few genres I don't really like.

And i'm conscious that I can't achieve the best sound for this genres with 1 headphone, wich leads to my next concern my budget is $200 i know it's not much but this will be my first audiophiles headphones. So i'm planning to buy 2 headphones for $100 each or even 1 for $100 and the other for $150. Unless you guys can recommend a headphone on the $200 range to satisfy most of the genres I listed.

I think it's important to note that i will also be using this headphones for Gaming on my laptop, my soundcard is obviously onboard (Realtek ALC89). Does anyone know if virtual sorround depends on the soundcard? if so does this soundcard can make the headphones use the Dolby Digital mentioned in this thread? http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-10-16-12-ps3-bd-playback-in-dolby-digital

I'm not planning to buy an external soundcard for my laptop.

Anyways back to the headphones, here is what i consider the most important aspect for the headphones; 60% Music, 20% Comfort , 20% Gaming.

My research has led me to this headphones:

1.- Grado SR80i ($100): According to this site, and a lot of people this are the best open headphones for the budget? But this are not bassy headphones so i'm not sure about listening to Dupstep or Hip Hop on this headphones.

2.- Philips Downtown or Uptown ($100 and $150): According to the summer magazine this are realy good headphones for the price and they have some bass, but I'm not sure wich of the two is the best for the genres that the SR80i can't cover.

In the beginning I considred the Aurvana Live, AD700 and the M50 but i think they don't sell them on retail stores, so that is another limit, since i'm just going for 4 days the headphones have to be able to be purchasable on retail stores or speciality stores like the Grados and the Philips.

Sorry for all the conditions i have but i'm taking all the variables into account for this purchase.

Would you recommend other headphones instead of the ones I listed in the same price range? or are those 2 good combination?

I'm sure none of those are good for gaming... 

Thank you in advance!

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply MalVeauX!

Are you saying those Beyer headphones and the Audio-Technica are good allrounders with enough bass?
I'm on the Beyerdynamic webpage and looks like their only distributors on the US are on California and New York. So i can't really buy them...

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thanks for the reply MalVeauX!

Are you saying those Beyer headphones and the Audio-Technica are good allrounders with enough bass?
I'm on the Beyerdynamic webpage and looks like their only distributors on the US are on California and New York. So i can't really buy them...

Heya,

Correct.

And you could buy them from Amazon for significantly less than retail, and have them shipped to where ever you're staying in Texas.

Very best,

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 5
I wouldn't risk the hadphones not getting in time to the Hotel specially because im going on a  weekend, but i'm looking at the Best Buy webpage and looks like the DT770 (250 ohms) are one of the few Beyerdynamics they sell! I will try my luck on some Retail stores like Target and Best Buy.

Do you have any  comment on the RS80i and the Citiscape Philips? Do they compare on terms of sound quality?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back