USB audio cuts out
Mar 19, 2016 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jjb3

100+ Head-Fier
I have both a Meridian Explorer DAC/amp and Chord Mojo DAC/amp. At times the audio coming from the USB running through the DAC/amp will cut out and the sound will start coming out of my computer's speakers as opposed to the headphones. I cannot seem to isolate a cause, but it happens on both of my computers from time to time. Any thoughts?

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 9
  I have both a Meridian Explorer DAC/amp and Chord Mojo DAC/amp. At times the audio coming from the USB running through the DAC/amp will cut out and the sound will start coming out of my computer's speakers as opposed to the headphones. I cannot seem to isolate a cause, but it happens on both of my computers from time to time. Any thoughts?

Different USB Cables?

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 9
I have tried differnet cables with the Meridian but stll the same issue. Changed out cable with Mojo and it has been ok for a few weeks.

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 9
I have tried differnet cables with the Meridian but stll the same issue. Changed out cable with Mojo and it has been ok for a few weeks.

After the DAC cuts out, does the computer still recognize the DAC as a connected device?

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 9
Seems no because I have the USB set as my default sound source so it appears as if the computer thinks its not connected since it reverts to playing out of my computer internal speakers when it cuts out. But then it comes right back on to the USB source after a second.

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Seems no because I have the USB set as my default sound source so it appears as if the computer thinks its not connected since it reverts to playing out of my computer internal speakers when it cuts out. But then it comes right back on to the USB source after a second.

Cables seem to be the most probable cause of your problem, that said it could be the little USB port on the Meridian (although in that case there's no explanation for the Mojo doing the same thing)

Try Disabling USB Selective Suspend in your Energy Options
If you have more power options, set the port so that the computer cannot reduce power to the device.

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks I appreciate it. Is the USB a known issue on the Meridian?

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks I appreciate it. Is the USB a known issue on the Meridian?

I don't think so, but rare things can happen.

One more thing or two...

Assure the DAC is plugged in its own USB port and not sharing it with any other device.
Control Panel/System/Device Manager/View/Device by Connection:

Open up the PC until you find something called "PCI-Express" or "PCI-Bus" or maybe "Root Complex PCI Express", which have entries with names like "USB Host controller" as children, open these up as deep as possible until you find your DAC and check its the only child device of the Controller, if not the case, try plugging your DAC into a different port, or unplug the other device if possible.

Try to avoid front USB ports on Desktop Computers

Maybe three: USB 2.0 Ports are less conflictive than 3.0 as far as I know.

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 9
If all else fails, use a power conditioner like iFi iUSB 3.0 micro or nano like I do. Sound quality improvement from a USB power conditioner is subjective of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back