USB Audio Player Pro! It changed everything.
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

secretsubscriber

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I just feel like sharing to those willing to read my story.
Once upon a time my wife had an LG G6 Plus, the Amazon model. I had a Galaxy S8 at the time. I recommended the LG to her because they were giving 2 years of warranty, it had a lot of storage and the price was incredible and reviews were good (and i secretly wanted on). But a month into use we found the one drawback: horrible camera software. That's all my wife wants out of a phone, a good camera.
Two years later she upgraded to a Pixel 3 and I took her LG G6 because I needed test devices for work. Knowing that it was designed for audio enthusiasts, i decided to give it a try as an audio player. I was surprised. I have 32ohm over-the-ear headphone by Srhythm. NC-25. Bluetooth headphone with a wired option. I used them wired. They were gifts. They were nothing fancy and I was pretty indifferent to them. Once i used them with the LG G6, that completely changed. I used them every day. I used them all day. It was great. I had previously tried the S8 with Hidisz Sonata, but didnt feel like they did much.
Then my wife needed an extra phone.... so the LG G6 went away.... Everyone was sad. By everyone, i mean me.
By this time i had a Galaxy Note 9 and a Fiio M6. Both sounded better than my S8 but couldnt drive those headphone the same way. Honestly. I enjoy the sound of the S8, the Note 9 and the Fiio M6, but there is something lacking when driving these measly headphones and once you know what you could have.. it sticks with you.
Recently, I've wanted to use my S8 as a dedicated player because the app performance on the Fiio M6 can get slow and frustrating. But i wanted more oomph and I'm on a budget. So I tried a very inexpensive portable dac sold on Amazon, the DAC082. It has good reviews. It was cheap. Why not?
When I finally got them i was not impressed and the sound was very similar to the S8 headphone jack. I tried them with PowerAmp and with the Samsung player. So i decided to return them. Then i read about USB Audio Player in one of the reviews. I had seen that player mentioned in various conversations regarding external DACs but never realized why i would need it, since the default player and PowerAmp worked fine with USB DACs. But i decided to give it go this time, and the difference was quite a difference. The thump of the bass was different, the quality of the audio was different. I'm not an audiophile, not really, so i dont have the vocabulary to describe the differences (and i haven't done a double blind test, so i could be lying to myself.) Definitely, those headphones were pushed to a higher volume.
I read a bit more about UAP and realized that i needed it when i had the Hidisz Sonata and that my plan to used an old android phone with an external dac will work, if I have the right software, even if i'm not spending high end bucks. I just felt like sharing because the difference was quite a shock to me and maybe this story will help out some other newbie out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back