USB Type C 3.1 to Micro USB OTG Cable
Oct 7, 2016 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

hamlyn

100+ Head-Fier
Can you recommend a good USB Type C 3.1 to Micro USB OTG Cable? I have a new mobile phone with a USB Type C connector that I wish to connect to my Chord Mojo. Idal length would be approximately four inches.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 25
For anyone interested, I tested a few cables and adapters.
None of the USB micro to USB Type C adapters I bought worked with my old OTG cable.
This USB Type C to Micro USB cable, however, worked very wekk. I bought it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017XORNK0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is, unfortunately, longer than I would like - 1m (3.3 ft).

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 25
Mar 24, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 25
For anyone interested, I tested a few cables and adapters.
None of the USB micro to USB Type C adapters I bought worked with my old OTG cable.
This USB Type C to Micro USB cable, however, worked very wekk. I bought it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017XORNK0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is, unfortunately, longer than I would like - 1m (3.3 ft).

I notice this cable isn't OTG specified. Would it work to connect my Google Pixel C Android Tablet to the Mojo? Do USB C cables still need to be OTG specified to work with Android?

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 25
I notice this cable isn't OTG specified. Would it work to connect my Google Pixel C Android Tablet to the Mojo? Do USB C cables still need to be OTG specified to work with Android?
Noting this is an older thread, but thinking the question is still relevant.... I've just been on the hunt for some USB-C to micro USB cables with Android OTG awareness in order to connect a Sony Xperia XZ Premium to a DAC/Amp (Oppo HA-2SE). There are several OTG short cables terminating in a USB A line socket but you then have the ugliness of a USB A to micro USB normal lead....
I have just found these items on Amazon.co.uk which I've now tested and found that they work perfectly :)

CableCreation Short USB Type C (USB-C) to USB 2.0 Micro USB
Type C to Micro USB Cable, CableCreation 0.65 ft Cotton Braided OTG Cable

Hope may be of use to someone !

Best regards,
Kevin

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 25
Nov 27, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 25
Do any of these cables have the problem where the phone battery is discharged to charge the DAC/amp battery? This of course inly is a problem if the DAC/amp has self powered battery.

Pixel 2 xl with usbc to micro and Q1 mark 2.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 25
Do any of these cables have the problem where the phone battery is discharged to charge the DAC/amp battery? This of course inly is a problem if the DAC/amp has self powered battery.

Pixel 2 xl with usbc to micro and Q1 mark 2.

When I have the Mojo plugged into my Note8, there's a notification that USB charging connected device. However, I have the Mojo connected via USB input and not the charging input. So, I don't think the Mojo is actually drawing current to charge its battery and rather that Android is interpreting digital audio stream to the Mojo as charging for whatever reason. Battery life does not seem to suffer due to this.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 25
Dang the fiio Q1 doesn't have dedicated charging and USB data connection. It uses the same one for both.

Does it actually charge when you're playing audio through it or are you just going by the Android notification? If there is no battery level indicator, you might be able to test this by discharging the Q1 and then see if you can get it to recharge while you're playing music to it from your phone.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 25
- Getting great sounding audio.
- Q1 gets pink light (I think this means charging)
- pixel 2 battery drains SUPER fast.

I'll have to do some tinkering. Connected over usb to laptop and light was blue instead of pink. Not sure if it's because battery was full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back