Using DIN connectors for power supplies
Mar 2, 2007 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jam_Master_J

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm going to be using a STEPS/TREAD combo to create a 24 and 12V supply to drive my Monica 2 DAC and Millet Hybrid. I'm thinking about using DIN connectors but I'm not really sure what specific type I should be buying.

I'm thinking of using 3 pins (one for ground, one for +12V and one for +24V). For the equipment I'd be using panel mount female jacks and the connecting cables need cable mount male connetors, probably mounted on Starquad or something similar.

Does anyone know of good quality, but not too expensive DIN connectors that fit my needs? I'd like to order from Digi-key if possible.

Thank you,
JMJ

Edit:
Here are some I found, are they good?
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...459699&Site=CA

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...459679&Site=CA

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Both DigiKey and Mouser have DIN's. They're a little more robust than mini-DIN's, and mini-DIN's are very limited in female chasis mount versions. Speaking from experience, don't worry about counting pins - just buy the 5-pin versions and just don't use the pins you don't need. The 5-pins are much more common.

The Grounds are not counted in the number of pins. If you are grounding the case, there are soldering tabs available on both the socket and the plug. So, if you buy the 5-pin, you actually get six connections. If you don't connect to the body of the plug/socket, however, then they are isolated - which is good, too.

I've used "A" and "D" in the screen capture from Mouser below:
attachment.php

They are Part # 171-0275
and Part #161-0005, respectively.

DigiKey and Jameco have similar versions. About $0.60 for the plug, and about $1.50 for the chasis mount socket in most places.

P.S. If you want to get really fancy, there are some locking versions available, but they cost about 5 times as much. The regular DIN's give a good friction lock and don't dislodge on a whim.

DigiKey Part #'s:
5-Pin DIN Chasis Receptacle (female): 275-1014-ND - $0.72
5-Pin DIN Plug (male): 275-1002-ND - $0.59

(Note that you can't even buy a regular 2.1/2.5 mm plug and socket at that price!)

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Just wanted to add. If you can spare a few extra bucks for the connectors, I recommend the locking din's from CUI.

Digikey part #'s
receptacle CP-1233-ND
connector CP-1033-ND

I've used them on several builds mainly for aesthetics and some security.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 6
DIN connectors don't hold up well. The metal on the female side is very thin and bends easily if you're not extremely careful when you insert or remove the male connector. If you expect to plug it in very rarely, it's fine. For higher duty, look for something else. Maybe some are better than others, but you can say the same for the more reliable connector types.

There are several types of 3-conductor power connectors that are much more solid. Looking at the Mouser catalog, I'd pick out one of the oddball ac power jacks (anything I won't find around the house) and a molded cable. Probably, I'd go with male jacks and the cable would be female on both ends. Some of them aren't even expensive.

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DIN connectors don't hold up well. The metal on the female side is very thin and bends easily if you're not extremely careful when you insert or remove the male connector. If you expect to plug it in very rarely, it's fine. For higher duty, look for something else. Maybe some are better than others, but you can say the same for the more reliable connector types.

There are several types of 3-conductor power connectors that are much more solid. Looking at the Mouser catalog, I'd pick out one of the oddball ac power jacks (anything I won't find around the house) and a molded cable. Probably, I'd go with male jacks and the cable would be female on both ends. Some of them aren't even expensive.

I damaged my old PC's keyboard port this way, but now they have little plastic guides to prevent people from jamming it in at wrong angles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back