Using Little Dot II++ as a preamp into 'main amp in' on integrated reciever - no subwoofer sound?
Apr 10, 2009 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TubeStack

500+ Head-Fier
(I think that's the longest thread title I've ever written...
biggrin.gif
)

I'm experimenting with using my Little Dot II++ as a preamp, running it into the 'main amp in' jack on my Harmon Kardon 3390 receiver.

However, when I do this, I get absolutely no sound from my subwoofer (it works fine otherwise).

The subwoofer is connected to the 'mono' sub output on the receiver, which is running to the sub's line-in jack (filtered).

Why isn't the sub putting out anything? Is the 'main amp in' on the receiver not supposed to be used this way? Do I need to connect the sub in a different manner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 4
The subwoofer output is non-amplified, so it comes directly from the pre-amp section of the receiver. When you use the Main-in jacks, you are feeding sound directly into the amp, completely bypassing the pre-amp section of the reciever (including the sub output).

If you want to continue using your little-dot in this fashion, you'll have to hookup your sub using high-level inputs instead of low-level inputs (assuming it has high-level inputs). This is usually several sets of what look like speaker wire connectors on the subwoofer. You route the speaker wire from your front two channels into the sub, and then out from the sub to the front two speakers. This allows your sub to extract the bass information directly from the front channel.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by GotNoRice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The subwoofer output is non-amplified, so it comes directly from the pre-amp section of the receiver. When you use the Main-in jacks, you are feeding sound directly into the amp, completely bypassing the pre-amp section of the reciever (including the sub output).

If you want to continue using your little-dot in this fashion, you'll have to hookup your sub using high-level inputs instead of low-level inputs (assuming it has high-level inputs). This is usually several sets of what look like speaker wire connectors on the subwoofer. You route the speaker wire from your front two channels into the sub, and then out from the sub to the front two speakers. This allows your sub to extract the bass information directly from the front channel.

Ah... I was thinking that might be the case.

I do have high-level inputs, will try that out.

Thanks GNR - you rock!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, I tried that, using the high-level inputs on the sub (receiver>sub>speakers), but it still didn't work.

What did end up working was splitting the RCA-outs from the Little Dot, sending one end to the sub and the other to the 'main amp in' on the receiver.

Now, it sounds great! So much better than the receiver on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back