V-CAN questions/confusion
Feb 21, 2011 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kungfuchris6

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
First time poster here, but definitely have been reading for a while.
I had a peculiar question.
My MF V-CAN, when used at low volumes, only outputs to the right ear of my Senn HD600s. But once I start to turn it up, the left ear piece starts to produce sound. From what I can see, at higher volumes they both are the same volume. 

I'm just confused why at low volumes it does this. I tried plugging it in to other amps and direct to my laptop and it seems fine. 

Thanks for the help,
Chris

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 3
What you are describing happens with almost all analog volume POT (potentiometer); there is always some kind of channel imbalance.  It just depends on the degree of it.  To get perfect channel balance you will need to get an amp with a stepped volume POT, like the one used on the Burson HA-160/HA-160D, or the Meier-Audio Concerto.  On my Luxman P-200 headphone amp, the channel balances at about the 7'oclock position and above (using the Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm headphones).  I don't know they technical details on why this happens.

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 3
That makes sense thanks :)

Would be a good idea to grab a better potentiometer and put it in? I'm assuming this isn't that big of a deal since it must happen to a lot of cheaper amps. The music still sounds good. I'm just being curious. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back