V-Moda Crossfade 2 vs. Sony MDR-1AM2
Jul 5, 2018 at 10:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

shane__

New Head-Fier
Hey. I'm looking to spend around $300 dollars on a pair of headphones, and I've narrowed my selection down to these two(but I'm open for other recommendations). I'm not able to demo these cans, so I'm relying on reviews and your guys' opinions. I want the pair which sounds the best(detail, wide soundstage). I have separate pairs of headphones which I use to mix and master and for travel, so I'm wanting something I can use casually at home. My dac is the focusite Scarlett 2i2.

I've heard great things about both the V-Moda Cf2 and Sony mdr-1am2, but I want to hear your opinions on them or even recommendations for other headphones.

I listen to mostly hip-hop and r&b, but I'm just looking for something really detailed. I looked into the Sennheiser HD 600's, but I feel the flat, "reference" sound will not be pleasing to my music taste.

All help is appreciated :)

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 2
I have the V-Moda CF Codex Edition now (basically same thing as CF2 + Aptx codec compatibility) and also a MDR-1A (1st gen). I know they're not the exact headphones you're looking into for comparison, but they're close enough for me to make some generalizations. I used to own the Vmoda M-100s and I can tell you right off the bat that since the Crossfade 2, the newly designed drivers are much improved. The added bonus of custom shields and wireless BT capability is nice.

Having said that, I generally prefer the MDR-1A's sound signature, which I've read is improved in its M2 version. They both have elevated bass, and the 1A's bass can be a little overbearing at times depending on what you like to listen to, but I find it to be better than the CFs. Both have comparably clear midrange, but the Sony's tend to have the bass bleed into the mids when they're too strong. Highs are a bit rolled off on the Sony's, and a bit brighter on the Vmodas. If you are willing to raise your budget by $50, I just learned that Sony is releasing the WH-1000XM3 in September, which is basically the newest version of their Bose-killer noise-cancelling headphones. CNET's preview stated that they have the MDR-1AM2 drivers in them, so you'd get the benefit of wireless and ANC should you decide to take them outdoors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back