V-Moda Crossfade LP2 Headphones - Full Review!
May 3, 2020 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

StarTreker

500+ Head-Fier
V-Moda Crossfade LP2 Headphones Full Review
2nd level cans, for those who want to be on their level like Wiz Khalifa!
V-Moda.JPG

Box: If V-Moda’s intention was to get my undivided attention, they succeeded! Picture it, your on a quest through caves in ancient ruins, in search, for the ultimate bass canon’s. (JVC SZ series used to be the ultimate, but their in piles of broken dreams now, hinges snapped, just like the personalities who run the company) You feel that you are close, your heart beats faster and faster. And just before you have a heart attack, there appears before you, the V-moda box, on a pedestal with smoke coming off of it. And like Indiana Jones, you grab the box, the trap is sprung. Put the cans on, play On My Level, and get outta there.

IMG_1449.JPG

Case: No, the case is not part of Batman’s stealth suit, though it should be! We wanna see our favorite crime fighter kicking criminal arse all the way into the bass track, rocking it to his V-moda cans! Hardshell case molded to the shape of the headphones, a place to store accessories, and a strong zipper to seal the deal.

IMG_1465.JPG

Look & Feel: When you open the case, you immediately get presented by V-moda’s signature style. The stealthy black look, with the chrome accent, the classic V, and the words V-moda on the headband. And when you feel that 90% all metal construction in your hand, you realize these are built like a tank, though I wouldn’t run it over with one, probably wouldn’t survive. Much of the ear cup casing, hinge, and headband, are made of metal. V-moda likes to call the metal that is in their headband, memory steal. They act as if they patented the material, when in reality, it is spring steal, which has been around since the med-evil ages, for use in the making of European swords.

IMG_1456.JPG

Size: The V-Moda’s are a very slim can for being over the ear. If you bring a portable amp with you, these would be a great option for portable use. One of the things that I didn’t like about my JVC’s, is that they were huge! The ear cups extended at least 5-inches off my head and I looked like an ATC officer lol. The weight of the V-moda Crossfade LP2 cans, are 260-grams, which is nearly half the weight of the JVC SZ1000 can’s, which weighed 450-grams. Wearing the JVC SZ1000 can’s all day, was like a basic training endurance test in military bootcamp. I felt like if I dropped my JVC’s, it be like dropping the 30-pound ammo box, and the drill sergeant is about to smoke my arse.

IMG_1461.JPG

Headband: While the V-moda LP2’s may not feel like an endurance test in the weight, they are however in the headband. Holy crack a lack Vmoda, what were you thinking! These can’s were clearly designed for children with small heads in mind. I got the headband fully extended to 12 clicks, and it barely fits my head. I wear these things for an hour, and my head is already hurting from the headband. So V-moda, your all about styling but no padding, message received.

IMG_1468.JPG

Pads: Again Vmoda, what the heck? This is a 150 dollar headphone, yet it has pads like a 20-dollar headphone. When you watch video reviews for these can’s, they always talk about how comfortable the stock pads are. And then when you look down at the video description, you see their affiliate link for the can’s. Hmm, someone’s been padding the pads there a bit don’t you think? These pads allow my ears to rest on the driver. Nobody wants to rest their ear lobes on cold steal. (Unless thats a fetish of yours, hey, I’m not judging) So if your wondering if you should order those V-moda XL black memory cushions, the answer is absolutely yes.

IMG_0342.JPG

AMP: I am powering these can’s through a Fiio A5 amp, capable of 1-W at 16-OHMS, and 800-MW at 32-OHMS, which is all the power these babies need.

IMG_1479.JPG

Equalizer: I am running the audio signal to the amp from a vintage Realistic 12-band equalizer, that would put any software EQ APP to shame without breaking a sweat. That transformer has enough power to pop these drivers like sweet Misty’s cherry, so we gotta drop that gain power down low as she can go.

IMG_1476.JPG

Sound: When I listened to a few tracks on my computer, I felt the highs were muffled, I like my highs crisp like nacho chips, I don’t like them so flat its like listening through a marsh mellow. (Suddenly I just got an urge to eat marsh mellows, weird) I razed the 5K, 9K, and 16K to +8DB. I razed the lower high range, 1.7K and 3K to +4DB. Now that my highs have been crispy-fried, its time to move onto the sub-bass levels. I have the 36HZ and 63HZ set to +10DB. What does all that mean? Prepare to pop a nut is all I’m saying.

I loaded up my favorite bass track, Wiz Khalifa On My Level – BASS BOOSTED! I was really surprised that a 50mm dual diaphragm driver, was able to pound my head just as hard, as my old JVC SZ1000’s, which had 55mm Kelton Nanotube drivers! I don’t know what magic this is, but I freaking love it. I just cranked it up and let the bass God’s take my soul! Ohhh, I’m on my level alright…

The next thing I wanted to test was the mid-range, no better way to do that, then to watch a video where men are speaking. Incase you didn’t know, most men’s voices are audible in the 80HZ to 180HZ range. Stock out of the box, these can’s made men’s voices sound like their grapes were shriveled up, that just aint right! So I razed the 110Hz and 190Hz to +4DB, that instantly fixed it, they sound like men again.

COMPARE.JPG

General Sound Comparison: While the sub bass range of the V-moda’s match up with the JVC SZ’s for the most part, the V-Moda’s seem to hit the beats harder in most cases. The sound signature of the V-Moda’s, most certainly are different then the JVC’s, in the mid-range. The sound stage is a bit more open as well. As the can’s go through the break-in period, they are opening up more and hit harder.

7D Test: If you search Youtube for Check Your Headphones 7D Virtual Experience, there is a 7D test video, featuring a couple of Italian gangsta barbers who will put a bag on your head while the other plays the guitar. Its a pretty strange video, but it demonstrates headphone resolution and imaging quite well, using a new type of recording technology called binaural recording. This is a great way to test resolution/imaging, and weather or not your can’s are capable of simulating proper surround sound.

My consensus is that the stereo separation is actually pretty good, but I don’t think its the best with the stock pads. I’m sure there are some open-end Sennheisers that can smoke these can’s in that area lol. As far as surround sound, I got to be honest, it wasn’t quite reaching to the level that I would call full surround sound. Lets just say these can’s have limited surround sound. LOL

IMG_1457.JPG

UHT: If you search Youtube for Ultimate Headphone Test, this is a great test to see what frequencies your can’s are able to actually produce. Now keep in mind, these V-moda Crossfade LP2’s have a frequency response rating between 5-hertz to 30K. I ran the test to see how high these could go, and they actually topped out about 15K, (Could be my hearing though) not quite their rated 30K, but most humans can’t hear in the 20K to 30K range anyway. Then I wanted to test how low I could still hear sound from these cans, and I was able to hear sub bass at levels down to 10HZ before the sound dropped out.

Sound Stage: Sound stage is OK, but I don’t believe its anywhere near what you would get from a 500 to 5,000 dollar pair of high end, open-end, set of can’s. These can’s are meant to be bass canon’s, not bring John William’s 200 person orchestra to life. However, after modding the can’s using the V-Moda XL pads, the sound stage opens up considerably, and there is better separation.

Isolation: Isolation in these cans is just OK, its no where near as good as other over ear can’s, such as my old JVC’s. You are going to hear more noise from the background of the room enter the can’s. A lot of this is due to the fact that the stock pads don’t seal around the ears properly, due to their small size. Modding the can’s with the V-Moda XL pads, will increase the isolation, but its still not as good as a pair of JVC’s using Brainwaves HM5 Sheepskin pads. Additionally, if you turn these can’s up too loud, another person in the room will be able to hear them, if it is quite in the room.

IMG_1433.JPGIMG_1428.JPG

Modding: I wasn’t even going to touch the low quality aux cable that came with the can’s, its low rated like Chipotle and their awful E-coli chicken. I’m using the Ivanky 8’aux cable with 24K gold-plated 3.5mm connectors, that delivers all the power that my cans need. I have upgraded these can’s, using the official V-Moda XL black pads. Not only does this make these can’s much more comfortable to wear, they improve the sound-stage, they improve bass accuracy, and increases vocal clarity.

IMG_1482.JPGIMG_1485.JPG

Conclusion: I can’t stop thinking about Batman kicking a bad guy in the face everytime the beats hit. HEHE! So, what are these can’s best suited for? As with all bass canon’s, these are best for Hip Hop, Rap, Dubstep, RNB, Rock, Reggae. And forget listening to Classical, Country, Folk, or any sort of soft rock or pop, look elsewhere if thats all you listen to.

A lot of DJ’s use these can’s, they like them. I’d like to see these can’s sold with the XL pads, instead of offering it as an option. I’d like to see some actual padding on the headband! I like that these can’s use a detachable cable, that gives us options, and its good that the pads are replaceable too. I like that these are real bass canon’s, they should satisfy any basshead out there. Just remember to amp them and EQ them well. I love the durable metal construction with military grade certification!

4 out of 5 stars is my rating...Recommended!

Attachments

• IMG_1442.JPG
    IMG_1442.JPG
    807.2 KB · Views: 0
May 3, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Review Continued…
TV, Movies, & Gaming!
Screenshot_2020-02-14_17-52-35.jpg

Not everybody uses a set of headphones for listening to music only. Take myself for example, I listen to music, watch TV programs, movies, gaming, and I even use them when video editing. And some people might require the use of a full headset, which is why V-Moda includes the Speakeasy cord. (Or you could upgrade and purchase a BoomPro mic for better sound quality)

Because the V-Moda’s are not studio grade headphones, it means that not all frequency ranges are going to be flat. I realize that sound is heavily subjective to each person’s ears. However, when it comes to watching TV shows, movies, and even gaming, adjusting EQ is absolutely essential. Because I’m a basshead, I like to amplify the sub base as much as I can, without overdriving the can’s. In the movie The Matrix, you can clearly hear the sub-bass ranges when Neo enters bullet time. Its like having a sub woofer on my head, and it really sounds good!

Unfortunately, because these can’s have a veiled 100HZ to 180HZ range, you really have to raze those frequencies ranges up by +4DB, otherwise men won’t sound like men when they are speaking, and that can ruin your TV, and movie program experience alike lol. In regards to gaming where all frequency ranges are utilized, its important to keep that sub base up, so you can really hear and feel the low’s. “32HZ - 66HZ +10DB” Keep that upper bass range at +4DB, but it is also important to raze the high frequencies, 3K +4DB, 5K – 8K - 16K +8DB. If you can’t hear minute details, you will pay for it in gaming lol.

As far as the mid-range is concerned, I keep it flat. Once my can’s were properly EQ’d, it really opened them up to sound awesome in games. The biggest thing I notice, is the difference between them, and my old JVC’s. Even with the same EQ settings applied, and using the same Fiio A5 amp, the JVC’s were never as good in clarity. I can hear things a lot more clearly with the V-Moda’s, and I am able to hear things I never heard before in games, which was really quite shocking honestly!

Its really important to have the V-Moda XL pads installed. Without them, you won’t achieve that full clarity that I am now getting, along with those EQ settings. The XL-pads really help to open up the sound stage a bit, and the improved stereo separation is indeed appreciated in games especially. I wanted to try out the Wicked Cushion pads, but due to the Covid-19 crisis, the Wicked Cushions company is shutdown under government order. And until the shutdown has been lifted, I won’t be receiving my higher quality Wicked Cushion pads.

When I have had a chance to test the V-Moda LP2’s with the Wicked Cushion pads, I will post another review continuation. :)

FYI: I've since dropped the 1.7KHZ frequency to flat.

May 4, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 5
Haha, I love the humour.
Yep, this sounds like a V-moda for sure - although you're the only one who openly said they can keep up with the JVC SZ range. I really should get some of those one day.
I think there may be some variance in the m100s, as some people like me think they out do every can they've heard on raw SPL and others aren't that impressed. But I have small ears so once the XL pads are installed, my ears don't even touch the pads lol. I get the full benefit :D

But yes, fun review, happy the LP2 is still kicking ass 5-10 years later :D

Purplezorz

May 4, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 5
Dude, your freaking awesome! :L3000:

Yes, these V-Moda's really have impressed me. I was literally buying them off of the word of another basshead, who recommended them as possible replacements for my broken JVC's. When I saw that they were 50mm drivers I thought, well, I will give them a try and see what happens. I surely wasn't expecting them to sound as good with proper AMPING and EQ!

I have a set of 45mm driver Cowin E7 Pro's, which are a popular wireless over ear can. They sound good but not great, they barely touch the sub-bass range, and can easily get muddied like molasses if you raze the bass through EQ.

What is interesting to me, is that no can that had smaller then 50mm drivers, could even hope to compare to my old JVC's. It seems like 50mm drivers is where the magic begins happening. And when you pump a watt into these cans, with the sub base ranges razed to +10DB, they sound freaking amazing!

The JVC SZ series is truly amazing, no doubt there. But its a dead technology now, once they break, they are done. If you have access to a 3D printer, you might be able to print out a part to fix your hinge. Have you checked out JVC's website recently? It is clear which direction they have gone, WIRELESS, cough. It makes me want to :deadhorse: at the CEO lol. Thats why I put that bit in my review, I figured some would get that lol.

Also, keep in mind, I was comparing the V-Moda LP2's to the JVC SZ 1000's, cause that is what I own. I never owned or heard the power of the JVC SZ 2000's, so I couldn't speak to those specifically. But from what I've heard on this site from other basshead's, who have owned them, that the 2000's put out more sound, but also require a solid 2-watts to get them to their full potential. Power hungry SOB's those 2000's are lol. Thanks for checking out my review, much appreciated! Glad you get my humor. And yes, you should totally get the V-Moda's, I'd think you would be happy with them honestly.

Bass Is My Drug Of Choice StarTreker 2020 :jecklinsmile:

May 12, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Review Continued
Wicked Cushions!

IMG_1549.JPG
So your on your level like your boy Wiz Khalifa, but something is missing, your V-Moda's are not wicked! :scream: So I tried the stock pads for a week and a half, hated them with a passion. I then upgraded to the V-Moda XL pads, and my ears thanked me. With increases to bass accuracy, vocal clarity, sound-stage, they also presented me with a bit of sibilence, and a slight reduction in the low end. I used those pads for 2-weeks, and I was so ready for something new. A whole month, and approximately 340-listening hours later...

Presenting, the Wicked Cushions for V-Moda headphones!
IMG_1553.JPG

Look at them sexy pads!
IMG_1556.JPG

When I started putting them on and my ears felt the pads for the first time, I was like, Ohhhhh yes, I will do anything for some puffy pads love! It felt like heaven in the clouds for my ears, finally, some true comfort. So in regards to isolation, has there been any improvement? Well, maybe somewhat, I can still hear that metal 12" desk fan just as much, but I think I hear the typing on my mechanical keyboard a little less though. Since these are the best pads you can buy for V-Moda can's, at this point, I am just going to assume that the vents on the shield plates are to blame now lol.

How Has The Sound Changed: In my humble opinion, (the opinion of a basshead) the Wicked Cushions pads have removed the sibilence, reduced vocal clarity only ever so slightly, has kept bass accuracy that the V-Moda XL pads provided, but has increased the low end as well. The mids feel a bit recessed now in some things, but if I can still hear African drums in Egyptian music, we still got mids! Regarding EQ, I still kept the mids flat, sub-bass razed, and the highs razed, no changes. Furthermore, my opinion is that now my can's have been upgraded to Wicked levels.

If you would like to get these pads, scan the barcode with your phone, should take you to the Wicked Cushions Site!
IMG_1550.JPG

I officially conclude this review, and there will be no more updates. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back