V-MODA Crossfade M-100 Master: Official Impressions & Reviews Thread
Aug 26, 2020 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

V-MODA

Sponsor: V-MODA
Hey everyone, hope you’re all well! We’re back and ready to chat about another of our over-ear releases, the Crossfade M-100 Master.

Some long-time Head-Fiers will remember how your feedback contributed way back when to the crowdsourced sensation that are the Crossfade M-100s. As we approached the 8th (!) year of the Crossfade M-100 rocking the world, we felt it only right to honor its legacy and create the next step in its evolution to reflect what music and technology has since become, and so we developed the Crossfade M-100 Master (aka the Crossfade M-100 all grown up).

M-100-MA-lifestyle-850x300-new-logo.jpg

The Crossfade M-100 Master fits right in at home or on stage.

But what does ‘all grown up’ actually mean? Well, it principally means we upgraded its sound engineering, comfort and durability based on the feedback of audiophiles and industry professionals like yourselves who chose Crossfade M-100 as their go-to cans, and thanks to the technology and material research that has progressed since 2012 to create the Crossfade M-100 Master: a stylish, portable 360 performing and producing-on-the-go headphone fit for the modern DJ producer, with a sophisticated sound signature, certified Hi-Res Audio and the classic V-MODA sound profile we’ve all come to know (and love!)

Now, let’s get down to the details.

Firstly, we used new Japanese CCAW coils and 50mm dual-diaphragm drivers and upgraded their covers for improved reliability and driver stability. Larger, more sculpted memory foam cushions make for a greater level of comfort, especially important for longer sessions, and a PU vegan leather headband coating makes the Crossfade M-100 Master softer and more breathable yet non-porous for higher sweat resistance and improved durability. Finally, the Japan Audio Society’s Hi-Res Audio Certification is testament to the sonic delivery of the Crossfade M-100 Master. To achieve that certification, we have expanded Crossfade M-100 Master’s reach with a frequency response now ranging from 5hz to 40,000hz compared to the 5 – 30,000hz range of the original Crossfade M-100.

Graph showing Crossfade M-100 Master right ear frequency response in white and compensated HATS frequency response in magenta.

Japan Audio Society Hi-Res Certification badge

Japan Audio Society Hi-Res Certified with V-MODA's classic, bass-boosted curve.

Along with the Crossfade M-100 Master came the ability to design and order fully color printed shields in addition to our traditionally offered precision laser engraving customization. V-MODA is all about that personal touch and enabling you to express and rep yourselves to the full: we know that doesn’t just mean the music you choose, but how you listen to it as well. Everyone has their own brand, their favorite colors, initials, sketches, logos, and designs that represent who they are, and we want to help create as unique of an experience as possible for whoever uses our headphones: as you all know, we may make the headphones, but you make them yours. Plus, included is V-MODA's premium exoskeleton case with stylized window slits so you can take easily take your style with you wherever you go.

1610459784359.png
1610459838301.png
1610459875785.png

A more personal listening experience, whatever your style.

Though developed via a rigorous R&D process, made with the finest materials out there and with many an accolade to its name, we’ve managed to keep Crossfade M-100 Master’s price point at a tidy $250, bridging the gap between mid and high-range over-ear headphones and making them the perfect allrounder choice for performing, gaming, streaming and, of course, enjoying your favorite tunes.

The Crossfade M-100 Master have been out for a hot minute now, so for those of you who have gotten to try them out, or even own them already, we’d love it if you’d leave a review in this thread and share your photos to show the Head-Fi community how you rock them!

And, as always, guys, we welcome any feedback or questions you might have about the Crossfade M-100 Master or V-MODA - thank you all for being a part of the process.

:beerchug:

The V-MODA Team

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 30
Nov 19, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 30
20201119_123414.jpg
20201119_123639.jpg
20201119_123711.jpg
20201119_123734.jpg
20201119_123431.jpg
20201119_123424.jpg
20201119_123741.jpg
20201119_123439.jpg

Received mine as well , they have a wonderful midrange clarity , midbass is less the mids and subbass is less then midbass , treble is clear and smooth . I would love more subbass so I can enjoy my EDM , but they are amazing for non EDM music and they are build like a tank. So this are my first impression so far 🙂

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 30
Disclaimer: I received a unit from V-Moda as part of their reviewer/loaner program.

Had the M-100 Master for a couple of days now. Here are my quick impressions:

Build/Comfort:

- Seems to be very sturdy. I briefly owned the M-100 years ago and the build quality seems to be more or less of the same.
- A bit uncomfortable with the earpad opening being fairly small even for my smallish ears. I would love to test the XL pads on these actually.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sound:

Bass:

- Warm and bloomy mid-bass response with some creeping up into the lower midrange and midrange yielding a sort of thick and "chesty" sort of sound.
- Bass extension seems to be ok with a good seal, rolling off around 40-60 Hz. Doesn't get the deep rumble like on the K371 here on the M-100 Master.

Midrange:

- Seems to be pretty neutral with a bit of relaxed upper midrange and lower treble response. I don't quite get that bite with electric guitars or "shoutiness" especially with female vocals. I prefer this sort of response though for long listening sessions as it's less fatiguing to listen to. Some may think it's a bit muffled and prefer more emphasis (especially with the raised mid-bass response) here but I think it's just right (with just the midrange).

Treble:

- Very smooth and a fair bit recessed sounding. Maybe a peak or two somewhere in the treble but it's not bothersome since they don't get that high in SPL. May just be due to the recessed treble response but the detail and clarity doesn't seem to be great at a short listen. The raised bass response may be masking the treble a bit so I'll play around with EQ to really finalize my thoughts on the treble (or really the whole headphone).

Noise isolation/leakage:

- It seems to be about average, not quite as good as the DT770, maybe just as good as the K371 but I don't remember. With nothing playing, I can still hear a fair bit of ambient noises but with some music at a moderate level, I don't hear much if any outside noise. Noise leakage is fairly good. At a moderate volume (say around 70 db) in a silent room, you can hear a bit of music coming from the headphones. With the same volume and add some ambience, then I don't think anyone would hear your music.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 30
Out of curiosity, are you guys getting review units? It's just odd that this thread has 3 posters receiving their headphones in the last 2-3 days.

In any case, enjoy your M-100 Masters! :)

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 30
Out of curiosity, are you guys getting review units? It's just odd that this thread has 3 posters receiving their headphones in the last 2-3 days.

Yeah, I have a review unit having signed up for the V-Moda loaner program a couple of months ago. I meant to add that in my post but I will do just that.

Nov 19, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 30

These are brand new two-week loaners we all have. I have “burned” mine in for two days, more to see what they sound like down the road than not. I do that so people may know what it will sound like “down the road,” as opposed to brand new. Hopefully it shows what the unit sounds like after the “new toy syndrome” wears off.

I would add that my initial impressions mirror the above. I would prefer more bass, but it isn’t at a bad level.

Nov 20, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 30
Thanks for the impressions, guys.

I have an M-100, and I've been meaning to replace it with an M-100 Master, since it's starting to peel in certain areas (they look somewhat unsightly). If anyone is able to compare the original M-100 with the Master edition, I'll be very grateful. Thanks in advance! :)

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #9 of 30
Initial impressions:

Typical VModa build, with a mix of plastic and metal, giving off the aura of a medieval-type look. Not bad in my opinion. Sturdy and foldable like a contortionist.

Fit is tight for an over ear with the included pads. For my Crossfade 2 wireless, I purchased the XL pads, and they work extremely well. I will try them here as well. I am able to listen for long periods, with small breaks.

Running the Master on my Shanling M2x, the sound is full and vibrant, with a bit of bass boominess. Not bad mind you, and so far it does not hinder the song. Vocals come across as fairly transparent and present. Todd's vocals from Big Head Todd & The Monsters comes across as present and rich. His vocals are superb, and the VModa represents them accurately.

Thankfully to me, the top end is not bitey, shouty or grating. With good reach, the VModa presents a full spectrum of sound, but I do wish for a bit more push up top. Coming off of several IEM reviews, the treble end seems a bit polite even for my treble-sensitive ears. Not unpleasant mind you, just not as vibrant as I would hope. This does change from song to song. More on that in my formal review.

Overall so far the VModa makes me appreciate again my Crossfade 2. I do not pull that out often enough and the M-100 Master afforda me the time in which to do so. More later.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 30
Had more time to listen to the M-100 Master as part of the V-Moda reviewing/loaner program (so yes, disclaimer: I was sent a unit). Some of my thoughts now still mirror my first impressions post above.

What comes in the box:

- The headphones
- 2 cables: one ~4-5ft cable with a one-button remote, one ~8ft (?) cable with a splitter (?) at the end
- Hardshell carrying case
- 1/4" jack
- Paperwork

Build/Comfort:

The build quality of the headphones seems to be great. I'm unsure if the earcups are metal or hard plastic but they feel very durable all the same. The headphones seem like it can take a beating and still come out working perfectly. The possible weak point in the design may be in the click-fold design to allow the headphones to be more compact for storage, though I think it seems to be a very sturdy system either way. The headphones come with 2 cables: one with a 1-button mic cable (~4-5 ft) and a longer cable with a splitter at the end so you can connect another headphone in going to one source (or at least I think that's what it does). The cables are wrapped in a paracord-like material and has a bit of memory to them. As some sort of reference, two weeks in and the cables still have a bit of the bends in them when I first unboxed the headphones. I guess the cable sleeves seem durable from at a glance though I've seen cables of this type fraying with more use.

They're a bit uncomfortable with the earpad opening being fairly small even for my smallish ears. The surface of the earpads press down along the edges of my earlobes. I think it would be great if V-Moda would also throw in the XL pads possibly as a part of the package or in future releases. *Actually, I think after having warmed up with a bit of body heat, the earpads soften a bit and are a bit more comfortable now. The headband has thin padding though it's still pretty comfortable on the top of my head. V-Moda says they're 283 grams so they're not too heavy but they have a bit of heft to them

Noise isolation/leakage:

Noise isolation seems to be about average; not quite as good as the DT770, maybe just as good as the K371 but I'm not 100% sure. With nothing playing, I can still hear a fair bit of ambient noises but with some music at a moderate level, I don't hear much if any outside noise. Noise leakage is somewhat good. At a moderate volume (say around 70 db) in a silent room, you can hear just a bit of music coming from the headphones. With the same volume and add some ambience, then I don't think anyone would hear your music.

Sound:

Sources: Schiit Modius > Topping A90; LG G8X ThinQ

Bass:

The bass response is warm and bloomy with most of the emphasis centered in the mid-bass (around 100 Hz, ~2-3 db above most of the midrange) with some creeping up into the lower midrange and midrange yielding a sort of thick and "chesty" sort of sound. The bass extension seems to be ok with a good seal, rolling off around 40-60 Hz. Doesn't get the deep rumble like on the K371 here on the M-100 Master. This is probably fine for those who don't really listen to tracks with really deep sub-bass or like that kind of response. Possibly due to the mid-bass emphasis and rolled-off sub-bass, the bass texture seems a bit one-noted.

Midrange:

The midrange response seems to be relatively neutral for the most part with the upper midrange pulled back a fair bit and the lower midrange being a bit thick sounding. I don't quite get that bite with electric guitars or "shoutiness" especially with female vocals. I typically prefer this sort of response though for long listening sessions as it's less fatiguing to listen to, though having had more time to listen to these, I find them just a bit muffled sounding. I think it's fine for ambience or on-the-go listening but lacking in energy during critical listening.

Treble:

The treble response is a fair bit dark sounding with a bit of a peak or two around 9 and 12.5 kHz. I think this may vary depending on driver variances and ears being a bit differently shaped, but the treble response as a whole is still relatively recessed and smooth sounding. The two aforementioned peaks are not bothersome at all and I would prefer more energy in the treble for a more "neutral" sound. With the treble response as is, the headphones sound a bit dull; muffled; and recessed. It's ok for ambient listening or on-the-go though. Just a bit too recessed for critical listening. I think a fine balance can be achieved though if V-Moda were to re-tune these in the future.

Soundstage/Imaging:

The headphones are not amazing in these categories though it's sorta expected of a closed-back headphone with a smaller earcup cavity. I think the perceived soundstage and imaging may be hindered by its frequency response with the mid-bass bloom and recessed treble response. These headphones do have a dip at 4-5 kHz which psychoacoustics would suggest that this would "deepen" the perceived field of sound. I do believe this does work though maybe the dip is a bit too much here since it takes away some of the energy in the upper harmonics of instruments and vocals and yields a sort of "small" and closed-in sound.

Measurements done on a MiniDSP EARS (HPN compensation applied):
Disclaimer: It's not an industry standard measuring system. There are notable artifacts especially around 4-5 kHz for most headphones where weird peaks and dips show up in measurement but not in listening. The treble measuring response isn't also entirely accurate either (and in this case, I'd say the treble response is pretty inaccurate to what I think it actually is).

1 - C1RZ3Uh.jpg
2 - cBUVpCG.jpg3 - RYenP6R.jpg

Conclusion:

I think the headphones sound ok. I think these would work fine for ambient or on-the-go listening since it's a safe and non-fatiguing sounding headphone. For critical listening, however, I would've prefer a bit more upper midrange and treble response, less mid-bass, and more sub-bass below 40 Hz. The build quality is excellent. I'd imagine you'd get a lot of years with these even with abuse.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 30
Thanks for the impressions, guys.

I have an M-100, and I've been meaning to replace it with an M-100 Master, since it's starting to peel in certain areas (they look somewhat unsightly). If anyone is able to compare the original M-100 with the Master edition, I'll be very grateful. Thanks in advance! :)

I'll see if I can get you some more details on the specific differences between M-100 and M-100 Master.

The most obvious one out the gate though would be the wider frequency response range earning it the Hi-Res certification.

Stay tuned. :) I'll update this post with more info.

UPDATE:

Some more key differences:
  • Hi-Res CCAW Coil
  • Larger size memory foam cushions.
  • Non-porous headband with improved sweat resistance.
  • New driver cover providing added stability and durability.
  • New tuning paper.
Hope this helps.

-Andrew

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 30
I'll see if I can get you some more details on the specific differences between M-100 and M-100 Master.

The most obvious one out the gate though would be the wider frequency response range earning it the Hi-Res certification.

Stay tuned. :) I'll update this post with more info.

UPDATE:

Some more key differences:
  • Hi-Res CCAW Coil
  • Larger size memory foam cushions.
  • Non-porous headband with improved sweat resistance.
  • New driver cover providing added stability and durability.
  • New tuning paper.
Hope this helps.

-Andrew
Thanks, @AndrewY, @Feilong4.

I've always enjoyed the sound of the M-100, so an upgrade to the M-100 Master is a no-brainer. The M-100 was, for some time, a daily beater for on-the-go use; however, the headband has taken some abuse - it's been about 8 years since I first purchased the original M-100.

I'll be adding one to my cart some time in the near future, I hope. :)

Dec 13, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 30
The vmoda crossfade m100 master :

The m100 master are over ear headphone with foldable design made of all metal parts and are hires certified. They were sent to me as a review program from vmoda and these are my thoughts on them as a review .

The build:
All metal with no plastic parts that I can see and included are 2 cable . Only for audio with mic and another orange one with two wire that looks like and attachment for the boom mic I think 🤔. The box also was nice and was closed with a nice string that was needed to be cut to open . The headphone came in a strong hardshell case with is awesome and had a keychain to attach to your pocket or backpack.

The sound:

Bass: the bass is flat with roll off on subbass but they are textured and clean . It is tight and clear and i can hear great bass texture . It is nice and refreshing but I sometimes crave abit more of the subbass do I can enjoy all the genre more . If they can have like 6 more db in 20 to 40 hertz then it'll be perfect.

Midrange: flat and warm is the midrange with breath in the vocals , they have nice balance of clarity and warmth for instrument and vocals and also the presentation is 3D . Very good at it and I would want to change that aspect. You can definitely feel the singers breath tickling your ears😁.

Treble: flat and smooth is the treble with nice weight without being bright and brittle which is something I wouldn't want to hear because it'll cause ear fatigue. The treble is clear as well with great timber on cymbal . Also the presentation is 3D .

Soundstage: the soundstage is about just right out of the head without being to massive and the presentation of imaging is spacious. Height is right on top of the head .

The driver are nice and fast , not the fastest but above average which helps with keeping the music clean without becoming congest which isn't good for enjoying music.

Conclusion: this is my first time hearing vmoda crossfade master m100 and I'm liking the direction vmoda is going from what they made when they started . They comfort is good , can get kinda warm but not unbearable. Sound is great and build is top notch. I can't wait to try more in the future 🤠.
20201119_123424.jpg
20201119_123431.jpg
20201119_123439.jpg
20201119_123639.jpg
20201119_123711.jpg
20201119_123734.jpg
20201119_123741.jpg
20201119_123414.jpg

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 30
My full review will be posted tomorrow on my blog, and here on HeadFi. Until then, enjoy the verbiage! Thanks to @AndrewY and VModa for the review sample!

VModa Crossfade M-100 Master ($250): Another fine portable from VModa.

M-100 Master site

Intro:
I already have the VModa Crossfade 2, purchased as a portable set for review purposes, and when I want a good closed-back over ear headphone. I also purchased the XL pads, which make a huge difference to me. When this loaner tour became available, I put my hat into the ring, thinking this would be a good comparison between the two. I was right. Read on for the full details.

I thank @AndrewY and VModa for sending their wares out for review. It was worth it to me and is an easy way to accumulate several reviews over the course of a short time span. Good thinking, plus many get to hear a product as well.

Specs:

Type: Over-Ear Circumaural
Speaker driver: 50mm dual-diaphragm driver
Frequency response: 5 - 40,000 Hz
Speaker sensitivity: 107dB @ 1kHz 1mW
Microphone sensitivity: -42dB @ 1kHz
Impedance: 32Ω
Weight: 283g

Gear Used/Compared:

VModa Crossfade 2 ($200)
Beyerdynamic T5p V2 ($999)
Campfire Audio Cascade ($800)

MBP
Little Dot mk3 se
XDuoo TA-30
EarMen Sparrow
Dethonray DTR1
Shanling M6 Pro
Shanling M2X

Songlist:

Joey Alexander-Warna album and others
Mark Knopfler-Laughs And Jokes And Drinks And Smokes
Santana w/ Mana- Corazon Espinado
twenty one pilots album, Trench
Tedeschi Trucks Band
Big Head Todd & The Monsters-Beautiful World
Mark Knopfler-Down The Road Wherever
Elton John-yep, still good, still cool
Tidal MQA

Unboxing/In-the-box:

Crossfade M-100 Master
Exoskeleton Carry Case
Carabiner Clip
ARAMID Fiber-Reinforced SpeakEasy™ 1-Button Microphone Cable
Reinforced SharePlay™ Audio Cable
Gold Plated 1/4" Pro Adapter
V-CORK (2)
2-Year Warranty
Immortal Life Replacement Program

Unboxing/Fit/Finish:

Just like my Crossfade 2 Wireless model, the M-100 Master comes in an angular orange and black box, reminiscent of a medieval-type look to me. Undoing the ribbon holding the handled lid on, the lid opens after releasing the clasp. Inside you find the wrapped instructions in multiple languages. Under the top protective cover, you find the svelte headphone case itself, nestled into a “nest” on the bottom. Inside you find the folded headphones and two cables as well as a 3.5-6.35 jack. This has the same size of the Crossfade 2, which is a common theme with VModa.

The outside of the box is full of useful information and pictures, which denote how the unit can be used. If you cannot find a part or aspect listed, which is useful then there is no need for it to be there.

The clamshell case is small and portable, just like the Crossfade 2, and includes a carabiner with which to attach the unit to your backpack or briefcase or even belt (which would look weird). VModa is just about at the top with regard to small portable headphones and this continues with the Crossfade M-100 Master.

Since I have the Crossfade 2 Wireless, gauging fit and finish is pretty straightforward. To me in typical VModa fashion, the M-100 fits snuggly onto your head. With the Crossfade 2, I ordered the larger pads, which actually go over my ear. With the larger pads, I was able to get a better fit. On the M-100, the stock pads did fit over my ears, and gave a good seal. I would change to the larger pads, were these mine and I will do so in the sound section. I did note after a longer session of 1.5hrs that the fit was tight, and it did bother my glasses. This happens with my Crossfade 2 as well. Those larger pads do accommodate longer sessions, though. To say these are foldable would be akin to stating that Lilia Stepanova is a “pretty good” contortionist. To me this is one of the trademarks of the VModa brand along with the ability to be used competently as DJ headphones. They are kind of known for that, you know...

th

Lilia Stepanova

I know the build is solid, but I have always treated my pair with a degree of carefulness that I do not with others. I think that could be due to the thin metal yokes used, but one need not worry. Folding to less than ½ its original size, the M-100 are among the most portable full-sized headphones out there, with a smaller footprint folded than even the LCD-1, which is a direct rival.

With no fore/aft movement of the earcups other than the movement on your head, you should still be able to find an acceptable position. I did, especially with the larger pads. Made mostly of plastic as well, the weight does not hinder comfort, which is a plus. You can also run the cable of your choice (either the mic version, regular or coiled DJ) from either side, or run two cables at once for mixing purposes. A small plastic piece covers the hole when not in use. Since the cable is has been tested with over 1 million bends, you need not worry about it failing. I do worry about the fabric cover fraying over time with enough use, though.

Sound:

Having the unit for two weeks means time is at a premium. So, while I finished another review, the M-100 Master was placed on my trusty Shanling M2x for over 100hrs. I still do this so that the user will have an idea of what the unit sounds like 6-12 months down the road. Does it change? On some I’m not sure. On others I can note a change. Since I listened very little during that 100+ hours, I cannot verify a change or not.

Starting with David Bowie’s China Girl, the bass was present and tight but not overwhelming. Think of a more balanced sound and you get the idea. Mind you this is not offensive at all due to that lack of sub-bass thump and rumble. Solid and tight would describe the low end here, with fairly fast decay, giving a nice reality to the sound.

Vocals come across in the mids solid as well. Bowie’s superlative vocals are among the best ever, and while they are set back a bit, the sound is again clean. Somewhat crisp as well, the guitar work of Stevie Ray Vaughan comes across as almost sensuous. Especially knowing the song. There is a bit of bleed from the bass into the mids, but it does not bother me. Elements from Lindsay Stirling showcase the solidity of the mids, without sacrificing too much. This also shows that the mids are indeed set back a bit.

The previous song also brings to light the treble characteristics such that they are not overly dramatic. Rolled off nicely for me, they reach a good level without being intense or piercing. This may be called dull and lifeless, but I would call them more subdued with a want not to overshadow the rest. But on a song such as Oye Mi Amor from Ozomatli, the high spots are just about right. On some headphones of late this particular song can become grating and tedious, and as such the volume goes down. Here on the M-100M though, I can actually turn the song up, highlighting the sumptuous bass line, and the vocals nicely.

Soundstage/Layering/Etc:

Cumbia De Los Muertos is an excellent song with which to judge stage and separation. A cacophony of sounds, instruments and placement give an ideal reaction to judge the headphone. The M-100 Master is not extraordinary in its stage, giving the user a slightly smaller than usual sound. Not isolationist or claustrophobic, but on the more intimate side. Good height helps alleviate this a bit, but depth is only average. This is not a slap at the VModa, but a limitation instead. And not entirely bad. Fear, Greed and Ignorance from BHT adds to this, what with its bluesy sound. Layering is average, but not cumbersome. I get a decent sense of placement, but nothing extraordinary. To sum then, this would be on the smaller size stage-wise and with decent but not great separation and layering. I do still like it, though.

Comparisons:

VModa M-100 Master ($250) vs VModa Crossfade 2 ($200):

When I purchased the Crossfade 2, I did so to have a BT over-ear headphone. After some listening, I purchased the larger pads as the unit did not cover my ears comfortably (much like the current M-100 Master). In doing so, the bass tightened up and became more dominant due to the larger chamber of sound. This also loosened the vice-like grip of the unit itself to me.

Not having listened to them in a bit of time, my immediate response is that the soundstage is even smaller here. Call it intimate with a bit more bass. Vocals are also pushed a bit more forward, and Todd’s vocals sit almost squarely in the center of my noggin. If I had auditioned the pair back to back, I would have foregone the BT version and ended up with the Master. But since I wanted a BT headphone, the Crossfade 2 is pretty decent, nonetheless.

If you want sound quality, the Master wins pretty easily for its more mature sound, that does not offend anywhere (neither does the Crossfade 2, though).

VModa M-100 Master ($250) vs Beyerdynamic T5p V2 ($999):

Included here due to a purchase of a used pair, the T5p V2 is an excellently detailed headphone. Easy of fit, with vocals that come across as crisp and clean, the T5p’s Achilles is a lack of bass. There pretty much isn’t any. Isolation is not the best either, even though it is an over-ear. Under the right circumstances though, the T5p shines. Elements as mentioned above would be a good example. Clarity rules the roost, and the VModa simply cannot come close. But, the BeyerD is not portable. And it does not have nearly enough bass for my tastes (I use it to judge clarity such as here). Vocals are a bit held back as well, but not like the VModa.

So, purchase a used version of a really good headphone (there are other Beyerdynamics that are really solid as well) or purchase the VModa new, and it is portable.

VModa M-100 Master ($250) vs Campfire Audio Cascade ($800):

There is no denying that the Cascade loves bass. This sets the tone for bass to me in the portable segment. It is superb. But so superb that it can overshadow the other aspects a bit too much for some (not me). Stirling’s violin is impeccable on Elements, and the tonality wrought from the Cascade makes for a very euphonic sound. I really, really like the Cascade, and it hits all of the right chords for me. Purchased when they first came out, this one still makes it regularly into my rotation, and not just for review purposes.

Rumble galore, and a slightly withdrawn high end emote a near perfect sound, without being overly dramatic. I find very little to fault here in the sound. Fit-wise though, it would be a toss-up between the two. With vice grip-like clamping pressure, it is actually a bit higher than the VModa. And I do have to remove myself from time to time to accommodate. Sound-wise though there is little to fault here, and a good to excellent used version can be had for a little more than the new VModa. Your choice.

Finale:

I finish this while listening to REM’s Losing My Religion, which has some profound words. This is bigger than me would be apt for pretty much any headphone with regard to choosing one that is “the best” to comment on. There have been many come through this humble abode, and some are indeed agreed upon as truly exceptional. Some regarded as “the best,” and they could pretty much claim that perch. But to me that misses the point of those not aiming for that “best” level such as the VModa M-100 Master. To me, this is meant to be an affordable alternative to those boutique brands of which we speak often.

In that category there are some quite respected headphones, and then there are ones, which have a devout following but to me are really not good at all. I know of what I speak. I had a 1979 Triumph Spitfire, which if you know anything about older British sportscars, they were notorious for breaking. But oh, the following. I can also state that my Spitfire made a cross country trip through extremely harsh conditions using one quart of oil throughout the trip and a left rear wheel bearing. Not bad for that marque. And here is where the VModa might be thought of as the safe practical choice, instead of those error-prone boutique brands.

The VModa is a solid mid-fi choice, that has a thoroughly enjoyable sound signature. Paired with the EarMen Sparrow and Tidal MQA, I can think of those worse brands and not worry about them, for listening to the M-100 Master emotes a positive smile to my face, and after all isn’t that the point? The M-100 Master probably won’t win any awards, but it can move forward knowing it represents the VModa line well, without too many faults and presenting a satisfying sound to boot. To me, that says it all.

I thank Andrew and VModa for including me in the review tour. The fine unit makes its way back home at this moment and I thank them both for the opportunity.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 30
I would like to thank V Moda for having me on the V Moda M-100 Master loaner tour. This set will be returned after a period of review.

Brief impressions OOTB:
- This set is built like a tank, very sturdy. Definitely looks more well built than some of my Audiotechnica plasticky sets that creak like mad. I do think build wise, this set can last a very long time.

- Clamp and fit and isolation is about average. Can get a bit warm with longer listening sessions. It is actually quite small, I think it will make a good portable set outdoors. Quite easy to drive.

- Sound wise, seems to be midbass > subbass focused, bass is just slightly north of neutral in quantity. I'm a basshead and would have preferred more subbass quantity/extension, but the quality is good, nice bass texturing and speed, though with a very slight midbass bleed. Mids are rather transparent, very slightly depressed only. But I appreciate that the mids are not shouty at the upper mids like a lot of CHIFI sets. Treble is very smooth and polite, maybe trebleheads may not like it, but this set is very non fatiguing and can be used for longer sessions for treblesensitive folk.

- Technicalities like soundstage, details, imaging, instrument separation etc seem to be at least average to above average, but will need to do more testing to confirm.

- Timbre for acoustic instruments is very good.

I'm liking this set so far, very suited for a smooth laid back listening session (not for analytical or critical listening). Will burn in and do further testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back