V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Jan 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #2,221 of 2,828
Quote:
Did you buy them used? Mine were new and clamped very tight. They loosened up by my constantly stretching out the headband, but I still consider them pretty tight.

No, I bought them new from amazon. Didn't have any clamp what so ever out of the box and I'm kind of doing the opposite to what you're doing. Trying to get them to fit tighter and clamp against my ears by stretching them inwards and pressing down the headband while wearing them. 

From what I've read on most reviews these are supposed to have quite the clamp force out of the box so I find it kind strange that mine are so loose/comfortable.

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #2,222 of 2,828
So ordered the m80s yesterday and chose 1 day shipping for $4 from amazon. Here are my first impressions.

I plugged them in and put them on and was instantly disappointed as i could hear tons of static/hissing. Later i found that this sound was present while they were completely unplugged. It is just a resonance from the headphones themselves, sort of a seashell effect.

Started playing some tunes and was mildly pleased with the unamped sound being pushed by my galaxy nexus. Though they don't feel as well balanced as people say they are. The bass is definitely not overpowering at all as some people say. Definitely need some burn in. I would not say these are noise cancelling at all though. Had some background music that someone was listening to so i had a good judgement of this. It felt like the background music was amplified if anything.

Being new, i didn't know the difference of on ear. I guess i like my big poofy cans all too much. As these seem way too small and stiff. I cannot get them positioned on my head just how i like.

Given all that, i still really like these, I'm just not sure what about them i like so much.

EDIT: second thoughts after reading through this thread.

About clamping force, mine seem extremely loose. I come from a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm, so not sure if this is a contributing factor. Perfect set of cans would be a bit looser than these DT990s, but they are close to where I would want already. The M80s are uncomfortably loose. Not sure how one would consider them active headphones for workouts, I am concerned them may fall off if I bend over to pick up a dollar on the sidewalk.

Also, about size, i had to fully extend these to get them to fit right. I could only imagine what it is like for some one with a bigger head than I.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #2,223 of 2,828
Quote:

EDIT: second thoughts after reading through this thread.

About clamping force, mine seem extremely loose. I come from a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm, so not sure if this is a contributing factor. Perfect set of cans would be a bit looser than these DT990s, but they are close to where I would want already. The M80s are uncomfortably loose. Not sure how one would consider them active headphones for workouts, I am concerned them may fall off if I bend over to pick up a dollar on the sidewalk.

Also, about size, i had to fully extend these to get them to fit right. I could only imagine what it is like for some one with a bigger head than I.

Pretty much what I'm experiencing too. They're way to loose and it's quite annoying. 

I thought I had a big head! To have these clamp and fit my ears just right, I don't extend them at all. Which was not what I expected.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #2,225 of 2,828
I would consider exchanging them for another pair. Without some tightness, you won't get the necessary seal.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2,226 of 2,828
Quote:
I would consider exchanging them for another pair. Without some tightness, you won't get the necessary seal.

Nope, I don't. not very noise cancelling at all. I am considering returning them all together. I am having a hard time picking out the fine details in my music also, such as background vocal or guitars. I can hear them, but not as clearly as I can with any other device, including my cheap car stereo.

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #2,227 of 2,828
Yep, they don't isolate very good at all. And they are not the most detailed either. I'd recommend looking into the DT1350 or Sennheisser Amperior for more detail and better isolation. The DT1350 isolates better than the Amperior, but they both isolate better than the M80 and both are noticeably more detailed.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #2,228 of 2,828
Quote:
Yep, they don't isolate very good at all. And they are not the most detailed either. I'd recommend looking into the DT1350 or Sennheisser Amperior for more detail and better isolation. The DT1350 isolates better than the Amperior, but they both isolate better than the M80 and both are noticeably more detailed.

I think i may go with the Audiotechnica ATH-M50 after I return these

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #2,229 of 2,828
Quote:
I think i may go with the Audiotechnica ATH-M50 after I return these

Quote:

Both the DT1350 and ATH M50 are Over-ear so they should isolate much better than the Amperior and M80 which are On-ear.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #2,230 of 2,828
^ they are both on ear like the M80 IIRC -  The Momentum is over ear

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #2,231 of 2,828
Quote:

Both the DT1350 and ATH M50 are Over-ear so they should isolate much better than the Amperior and M80 which are On-ear.

Nope, the DT1350 are on-ear too; actually, the cups are even smaller than the Sennheiser's. Here's a comparison:

By the way, I have tried both the M50 and the HD 25, and the HD 25 isolate better (thus the Amperior should do too).

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #2,232 of 2,828
^ the Amperior doesn't isolate as good as the HD 25s mainly because of the porous pads. I'd imagine swapping the pads for the HD 25 pads might solve that, however.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2,233 of 2,828
I find the isolation of the M-80 and the M50 to be on par with each other actually. That said I prefer the M-80 for portable use because mids are more forward and overall presentation is not as fatiguing as the M50 in a louder environment when you have to boost the volume, just my $0.02.

Also just because a headphone is circumaural doesn't make it more likely to isolate. A good example: Skullcandy Aviators - might as well be an open can. While the DT1350 and the HD25 are the best passive isolating phones I have ever used (both on-ear) and I use them on the train everyday.

As for clamp/seal issues - while these don't have as tight a clamp as an HD25 I still get a good seal out of them. In truth, the ear pads need time to conform to your ears with usage. I don't think clamp has much to do with it when it comes to these cans so for anyone who is thinking of returning them, spend some time wearing them for a week or two and then see if you are getting the right seal.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2,234 of 2,828
I really didn't put much stock on the pads conforming to my ears (even tho V-moda themselves suggest it), but it's actually quite true. Mine didn't feel terribly loose out of the box but they did feel loose enough that they'd shift while just sitting on a plane etc. Once the pads settled they became more stable on my ears. I wear them at six clicks out, eight if I have a baseball cap on.

Isolation really isn't the best out there but that's no secret if you've read any unbiased reviews... For me it's actually prefect, they isolate enough to drown out voices and general noise around me but not so much that I'll miss important PA announcements etc. (though I still have to pause the music to make those out)

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2,235 of 2,828
Quote:

Would I contact V Moda directly if I'd choose to go that route? Bought them through Amazon UK.
Quote:
As for clamp/seal issues - while these don't have as tight a clamp as an HD25 I still get a good seal out of them. In truth, the ear pads need time to conform to your ears with usage. I don't think clamp has much to do with it when it comes to these cans so for anyone who is thinking of returning them, spend some time wearing them for a week or two and then see if you are getting the right seal.

I often feel like I'm getting the right seal but without the clamp. They aren't really pressing against my ears, which is good in a way cause I can wear them for hours and hours. However the problem is that they sound better when I press the headband down and the cups press/clamp more against my ears. Even though it's just a small difference in terms of clamp, that small difference makes the sound and quality of the bass so much better to my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back