Various headphone impressions from a newcomer
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yodas

New Head-Fier
Hi, newbie here. I've only been in this hobby a few months so please be nice lol. And apologies if I put this in the wrong place. I just wanted to write my impressions on some headphones I've tried recently.

Note that these are impressions from demoing, not a review. If I actually had more time with each it's very likely my opinion would change. I repeat, these are first impressions. Still, I thought it might be an interesting read for some of you. Everything was off a gsx-mini and I think a chord qutest.

Meze Elite: Comfort is truly incredible, as well as the build quality and weight. It's just so premium. I found the sound to be really bad, though. In a word, veiled. Maybe it is just that I expect more from $4k, but it was so, so veiled and boring to listen to.

DCA Expanse: Also found this to be really boring. I could tell that this was resolving well, better than elite for sure, but it was presented in such a dry way.

DCA Stealth: Didn't have much hope after Expanse, so I was probably a bit biased listening to this one after. I found it a bit more interesting than Expanse, but for the wrong reason, which was that the tonality was wonky. I also found it to also be a dry presentation, everything just sounds far away from you.

Audeze LCD-4: I wasn't even going to try this one because I "knew" I would never buy it because of its weight, plus supposed off tonality. But I was definitely proven wrong. It emphasized parts of songs in such a different, yet good way from other headphones. I could definitely tell it wasn't neutral, and the mids sounded recessed a bit to me, but it didn't matter because everything else sounded so rich and exciting. The clarity of the sound was absolutely wonderful as well.

Focal Utopia: Honestly, what is there to say that hasn't been said already about the sound. Just wonderfully neutral and clear, yet also exciting and energetic. I do think the "punchiness" people always seem to mention is a bit overstated, but it is definitely there. Definitely the one I'm most tempted to purchase.

Audeze MM-500: Pretty good actually, neutral and clear. Didn't listen to it that long but to me it sounds like a worse, less interesting utopia, but the price obviously makes it a better deal.

Sound ranking: LCD-4 >= Utopia >> MM-500 >> Expanse = Elite > Stealth

Thanks for reading.:darthsmile:

Tracks used:
Choucho - Melt
Hikaru Station - Kokoronashi
Zedd - Stay The Night
Falcom jdk - Solid-State Shard Blow
Falcom jdk - The Decisive Collision
Ellie Goulding - Hate Me

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Spending time demoing gear is the best way to learn about the gear. No amount of forum reading, review or marketing can substitute for on-ear time with equipment you are familiar with. The same will be true for every piece of gear in the chain. You are absolutely doing it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back