VenturCraft Soundroid Typhoon
Apr 6, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #316 of 343
  Thanks for your reply!
I would use it primarily with T-Peos H-300s which are pretty bright so I'm looking for an Amp/dac that would counter that. I am also curious about a battery life comparison, idevice changing comparison, power differences, and noise floor comparison. 

I don't think either device is going to suit your needs that well...

Amp/DAC to counter brightness:

SDT output impedance is 10ohm so you're going to get the opposite of that with your 22ohm H-300s.

720 isn't going to add or remove much in the way in the brightness. Its pretty neutral but can actually sound a little light on the bass (which sometimes make it seem brighter) with some combinations (I'm looking at the LCD 2's here but that could just be a power limitation)

Battery life comparison:

This is the reason I originally bought the SDT. with most of the other Amp/DAC combos sporting a 6 hour battery life I wouldn't of got through the day at work without having to put them on charge at some point. The SDT gives me enough juice to last me a full 8 hours at work & travelling there & back too. I've not timed either device as this was good enough for me.

The 720 should give more a load more juice but TBH I've never let it die completely on me...

One thing of note on this topic is that the SDT can be charged from a PC via the USB micro (Which is also the DAC connection) where as the 720 needs its own power adaptor to charge...

iDevice changing? 

I'm not really sure what you mean here sorry. The only iDevice I've used with either is an iPod Touch 5th gen 64GB.

If you mean iDevice charging then the 720 does charge the iDevice while in use but not while you're charging it. On the other hand while in use the SDT does not charge the iDevice but if you pug the SDT in via USB to charge it then once its own battery is full it will then charge the iDevice via the connected cable.

Power differences:

The SDT doesn't have enough power to push all cans. In high gain I can max out the volume pot with my LCD 2's & although its too loud to listen to comfortably with a modern day recording it also has a fair amount of distortion. The 720 can push even the 600ohm T1's in medium gain just fine. I think it has a little extra bass impact in high gain though so I use that & less of the volume pot...

Noise floor comparison.

SDT is dead silent with all my IEMs & full size headphones. 720 has a distinct hiss with all IEMs but is silent with full size cans.

Regardless of this the 720 sounds so god dman good with my JH13 I tend to use it more than I do the SDT & put up with a bit of hiss. Its something you need to experience for yourself to decide if its too much for you or not I think...

Hope that helped.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #317 of 343

SDT output impedance is 10ohm so you're going to get the opposite of that with your 22ohm H-300s.

720 isn't going to add or remove much in the way in the brightness. Its pretty neutral but can actually sound a little light on the bass (which sometimes make it seem brighter) with some combinations (I'm looking at the LCD 2's here but that could just be a power limitation)

Battery life comparison:

This is the reason I originally bought the SDT. with most of the other Amp/DAC combos sporting a 6 hour battery life I wouldn't of got through the day at work without having to put them on charge at some point. The SDT gives me enough juice to last me a full 8 hours at work & travelling there & back too. I've not timed either device as this was good enough for me.

The 720 should give more a load more juice but TBH I've never let it die completely on me...

One thing of note on this topic is that the SDT can be charged from a PC via the USB micro (Which is also the DAC connection) where as the 720 needs its own power adaptor to charge...

iDevice changing? 

I'm not really sure what you mean here sorry. The only iDevice I've used with either is an iPod Touch 5th gen 64GB.

If you mean iDevice charging then the 720 does charge the iDevice while in use but not while you're charging it. On the other hand while in use the SDT does not charge the iDevice but if you pug the SDT in via USB to charge it then once its own battery is full it will then charge the iDevice via the connected cable.

Power differences:

The SDT doesn't have enough power to push all cans. In high gain I can max out the volume pot with my LCD 2's & although its too loud to listen to comfortably with a modern day recording it also has a fair amount of distortion. The 720 can push even the 600ohm T1's in medium gain just fine. I think it has a little extra bass impact in high gain though so I use that & less of the volume pot...

Noise floor comparison.

SDT is dead silent with all my IEMs & full size headphones. 720 has a distinct hiss with all IEMs but is silent with full size cans.

Regardless of this the 720 sounds so god dman good with my JH13 I tend to use it more than I do the SDT & put up with a bit of hiss. Its something you need to experience for yourself to decide if its too much for you or not I think...

Hope that helped.

Thanks so much Nuwidol! this is really helpful.

I meant idevice charging - and again, this info is very helpful because one thing I would also like to do is use as a DAC only connected to iPhone and my car stereo. The DAC would be powered all the time in this configuration and would need to charge the iPhone. Sounds like only SDT would do this but it is a shame it won't charge the idevice while running on battery power - I thought I read that it did this.

Could i play my h-300s on medium gain with the 720 to get rid of the hiss? or would that distort?

When you said that the SDT output impedance is 10ohm and 22ohm on the H-300s, does that mean the SDT is not powerful enough?? I don't fully comprehend impedance. I also don't understand how impedance would change the characteristics of the sound. If it is neutral sounding amp/dac, I would be fine with that ultimately. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #318 of 343

I meant idevice charging - and again, this info is very helpful because one thing I would also like to do is use as a DAC only connected to iPhone and my car stereo. The DAC would be powered all the time in this configuration and would need to charge the iPhone. Sounds like only SDT would do this but it is a shame it won't charge the idevice while running on battery power - I thought I read that it did this.

Could i play my h-300s on medium gain with the 720 to get rid of the hiss? or would that distort?

When you said that the SDT output impedance is 10ohm and 22ohm on the H-300s, does that mean the SDT is not powerful enough?? I don't fully comprehend impedance. I also don't understand how impedance would change the characteristics of the sound. If it is neutral sounding amp/dac, I would be fine with that ultimately. 

I just read through some of the forum where people are talking about the impedance issues. Would the MUSES02 counter the tonality issues caused by the low impedance?

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #319 of 343

Battery life comparison:

iDevice changing? 

Power differences:

Noise floor comparison.

Hope that helped.

I spoke with Cypher Labs today and they said that the 720 does, in fact, charge an iDevice both on the 720s battery and when plugged into a power source.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #320 of 343
  It might be for MH335DW but after the bad taste left by AK100 I really cannot risk going with another high output impedance device. 

I love my DD socket 1, I am just waiting for the 627x to arrive and I will be happy for a long time. My only wish is down the track hopefully I can purchase the LE DD socket 1 OPA627 SM or maybe perhaps they might release the second year edition of DD socket 1.

Yep, you sure will be forever happy :) I'm using this set up. 

May 30, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #322 of 343

Also, this guy is like a mirror of myself in what I want exactly in a DAC. Also, shoutout for T-Peos H-300, love mine! :D

May 31, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #323 of 343

Also, this guy is like a mirror of myself in what I want exactly in a DAC. Also, shoutout for T-Peos H-300, love mine! :D

I ended up buying the Cypher Labs Theorem 720 .The battery life is fantastic, its sounds excellent with the H-300, works as a DAC only  (In my car or anywhere else) and charges my iPhone. My only complaint is the noise floor but it's not bad and most of the time I can't hear it at all. I have been traveling since i purchased it so I haven't been able to listen with other headphones but its very powerful and It may even sound better than my Audio-GD NFB10ES2.

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #324 of 343
Anyone else interested in this?
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=000000041596&search=VentureCraft&sort=brandname

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #326 of 343
  Anyone else interested in this?
http://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shopdetail.html?brandcode=000000041596&search=VentureCraft&sort=brandname

The GO-DAP DD Limited sounds fantastic so I would assume this will sound fantastic too.
For me, after getting the Wagnus my interest for other portable amps has died away.

Now if only VentureCraft or some other company could team up with Wagnus to produce a DAP.
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #327 of 343
  I saw that at the e-earphone show last weekend. I didn't try it. It's a whopping Y100,000.

Yea but that is e-earphone which tend to over-price most of their gears in Japan. I wonder if it is their store only exclusive?

I am really tempted but not that tempted, I will wait for Cowon DAP but I do like my DD socket 1.

On the other hand their is the affordable onkyo DAC/AMP which comes with 24/96 just with the plain lightning connector. It also provides free full feature onkyo app when it detects the device and it also offers free onkyo hi-rez store album access.

Much cheaper option and I think I am sold on it. 

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #328 of 343

The GO-DAP DD Limited sounds fantastic so I would assume this will sound fantastic too.
For me, after getting the Wagnus my interest for other portable amps has died away.

Now if only VentureCraft or some other company could team up with Wagnus to produce a DAP.
tongue_smile.gif

I really admire wagnus amp but there are some poor engineering design taking place on that amp. I am actually looking forward to wagnus upgrading their current flagship amp. Not too crazy about their high gain and step atteunator volume. Also there are  alot of dead space inside the amp, not to mention how fragile the battery compartment is. I am glad I got the amp and I found some great synergy with it but I honestly cannot recommend it at that price, or any other price unless they can test it first. 

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #329 of 343
  I really admire wagnus amp but there are some poor engineering design taking place on that amp. I am actually looking forward to wagnus upgrading their current flagship amp. Not too crazy about their high gain and step atteunator volume. Also there are  alot of dead space inside the amp, not to mention how fragile the battery compartment is. I am glad I got the amp and I found some great synergy with it but I honestly cannot recommend it at that price, or any other price unless they can test it first. 

I would say the wagnus is worth the asking price based on SQ alone,

but I completely agree with you, for the price the casing should be much better engineered. (having to swap out AA batteries is no fun either)
Also definitely not a fan of the high gain & stepped attenuator volume, because of that I am forced to get a EVO pad. :p

I wonder if the DAC of the SounDroid Typhoon Limited is on par with that of the GO-DAP DD Limited.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #330 of 343
  Wow! Here's a case that attaches your phone to the Typhoon, what a fantastic idea! No need for rubber bands.

Fantastic case until this happens :frowning2:

The hinge pin at the bottom of the case fell out, you can just make out the silver hinge pin at the top of the case in the second picture. In the first picture, the silver pin is not there. I am very careful carrying the Soundroid and the case, it always sits in my hand when on the go, and when not in use, it sits in my bag. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back