Very high pitched intermittent distortion
Feb 2, 2013 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Da5Id

Head-Fier
I apologize if this isn't the best forum to post my question, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place. 

Today I received a new pair of LCD-3's purchased online directly from Audeze. I am using a Schitt Lyr/BiFrost combo which is only a couple of weeks old to drive them. I have used this amp/DAC combination for 10's of hours with both HE-500's and HD-600's.

When I first started using the new LDC-3's, after a few minutes a very high pitched distortion started coming through both drivers. When I turned down the amp it would generally go away pretty quickly. I have been listening to them for maybe 4 or 5 hours today, and from time to time (not often) the high pitched distortion appears again. If I switch to a different song as it is occurring, it goes away. If I turn down the volume sometimes it goes away and sometimes it just gets quieter along with the music until I either hit pause/play again or switch to another song etc. Other than this intermittent noise (happens from time to time maybe once an hour or so) the headphones sound beautiful.

The noise sounds like an electrical noise. Sort of a sizzling sound that is high enough in frequency to almost be painful. I am wondering if it is a grounding problem or something. It seems to clearly be coming from the amp or DAC since it happens in both drivers simultaneously and goes away instantly in both drivers when I switch songs or hit pause/play.

I can't say for sure if it has something to do with the headphones or not, as it might just be coincidence that it began occurring with the new headphones.

Any ideas?

Steve

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 3
Try a different set of headphones with the amp/dac and see if you get it with those as well, you will instantly know if it is the amp/dac or not.

Try plugging the headphones directly to a different source and see if you get the distortion, then you will know if it is the headphones or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back