Veteran looking for ideas : isolating, closed, circumaural, deep (big ears) full-size headphones with good measurements
Aug 9, 2014 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

halcyon

Headphoneus Supremus
Time to upgrade...

I'm using Beyerdynamic T70 with bent headband and Beyer Gel Pads currently, and they are ok for the price and have many positives:

- absolutely no sound leakage outside
- isolate very well from sounds outisde
- bass is fairly accurate and tight
- my ears fully fit inside the pads (totally circumaural) and my ears don't touch the driver grille cloth

However, the downsides:

- they can be a bit bright for my taste (I'm more geared towards my LCD-2, but they are open, heavy and require driving)
- gel pads are sweaty and hot to wear
- the comfort on top of the head (due to the headband minimial cushioning) is not best in class

So, I'm looking for a a very specific replacement:

- big pads, fully circumaural (over the ear), deep pads
- have to isolate well (both to/from outside). Best in class or near
- must be ultra-comfortable to wear
- absolutely no bright headphones (can't stand any of the Ultrasones, Grados pierce my brain)

Have already tried:

- Nad Viso HP50 (pads suck for me, too shallow, too small diameter), liked the sonics, built quality was plastic-toy-quality
 - AKG K550 (not the best sound, low isolation, not the best fit for me, a bit shallow, sonics/measurements are lacking esp. in bass)
 - Sony MDR-1 (way too bright for me)

I've thought about LCD-XC, but they are so heavy and will probably make my top of the head hurt, like my LCD-2v2s do. So, they are out.

What's the consensus on Shure SRH1540? Esp. on isolation and comfort?

How about the Focal Spirit Classic/pro on comfort over longer periods?

Are there any better (larger, more comfortable) replacement pads for either available as of now?

Thanks for any tips!

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 6
The 1540 is probably the most comfortable headphone I have. It's lighter than it looks and the pads are very breathable and plenty room for me. It isolates well enough although not sure how it compares to the Beyer. It sounds great too, given you're not allergic to bass.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 6
Thank you! It's high up on my list. Can't demo thought, so I'm still a bit hesitant. Then again, many say that Focals are brighter and that's a big no-no for me.

How bad is the breakdown of the sound (distortion) with 1540s at louder volumes, esp in the bass range? This has been reported by Tyll, so I'd imagine it's fairly accurately existing issue with these cans.

Aug 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 6
Thank you! It's high up on my list. Can't demo thought, so I'm still a bit hesitant. Then again, many say that Focals are brighter and that's a big no-no for me.

How bad is the breakdown of the sound (distortion) with 1540s at louder volumes, esp in the bass range? This has been reported by Tyll, so I'd imagine it's fairly accurately existing issue with these cans.

From what people say, the Focals are some of the most uncomfortable headphones out there given the price. Never tried them but on other places around the net people are dismayed at the small ear cups and clamp force from hell, those reports turned me off about them.

The bass on Shure shouldn't be an issue, I think Tyll gave it a lukewarm seal of approval based on price, but I think it's worth it given build quality, design, comfort and as a total package. On sound alone? Nah, but it's close. The bass won't be an issue, for you I'd worry more about the potential harsh spot in the treble, it can get a little shimmery sometimes but nothing too bad, nothing like Beyers.

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 6
You're making the right choice because there's no point to great sound with discomfort. I had FSP and it's more on ear with clamping than over ear. I use 1540 pads on my T50RP--the best pads in the business except maybe Audeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back