Vinyl Corner. Music, Gear, Experiences.
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,710

FYFL

Headphoneus Supremus
Use this thread to post:

1. What are you listening NOW.
2. Favorite LPs, new releases, reference records, upcoming pressings, cheap $ bin finds.
3. Comparisons LP vs Digital.
4. Your vinyl gear list. Equipment questions, recommendations, experiences, reviews of what you do own/or have owned in the past.
5. Or whatever else you fancy as long as it’s Vinyl playback related.

I hope other vinyl enthusiasts will find it interesting, informative and fun.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 2,710
I currently own 3 main turntables in rotation between my headphone and stereo speaker systems.
1.Townshend Rock (I would say vintage at this point). Tonearm is Mørch Up4 (uni-pivot) with Denon DL 103R MC cartridge.
2. Rega Planar8 with Apheta3 cartridge.
3. DIY turntable with SME3009 II tonearm and Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge.

Phonostage:
1. It’s my old but still very satisfying Opera Consonance Reference 40 (tube). Main rig,
2. MoFi Ultraphono with build-in class A headphone amplifier section. (bedroom setup)
B89B23C8-F44B-426B-BAD6-899BED06882F.jpeg

CBCC5A3D-84FC-4F90-B074-5FDBE1016E1B.jpeg

F6DBEB7E-9159-4D15-8E2B-86337B67FFA3.jpeg

52CF4640-AB1F-4B00-9B8D-FA4C682A8623.jpeg

6C101D39-C836-412C-A769-5F161E11ECE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 2,710
Listening to Grant Green “Idle Moments” newly released by Blue Note.
19A2039D-2A75-40BB-A065-B75F203C6BD3.jpeg

As expected, another great pressing from Blue Note. Just can’t go wrong with anything they are releasing lately. Perhaps titles aren’t of landmark proportions but still amazing to discover less known titles from legends of the past. Quality is superb. Both, sound quality and packaging.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 2,710
Last day of Blue Note summer sale (20% off + free shipping on $80+) if interested:
https://store.bluenote.com/

Rhino Records 15% off sale ends soon as well. Here

AccousticSounds (analog production) and MusicDirect (MoFi) probably also offer the usual 10% off sale codes if interested.

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 2,710
Tonight I am listening to Heilung LP album called “Ofnir”. Band that uses a lot of Pagan/Viking influences might not be your cup of tea, however, Their creative use of vocals and home made instruments make it a quite interesting experience. It can certainly treat you with time travel experience into dark ages of tribalism, strong superstitious influences of Godly creatures and culture that was preconditioned through hardships of everyday’s life for war and conquer.

Band releases their albums on vinyl in small batches. Usually 500 at the time.
Sample

5EF71FEC-C972-49C9-84CB-ED7462801BC6.jpeg

This isn’t my favorite album from Heilung. As far as surface noise, I’ll give it a 5 on scale from 1-10. Not the flattest pressing either. Simple paper sleeves (trash). And average packaging, art work.

One of the instances where digital copy (Tidal in this case) sounds better than vinyl. At least that’s my personal opinion regarding this particular album. YMMV.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 2,710
Finally something that sounds great. Quality packaging, artwork and most of all sound (Impulse!). Needs no introduction. Highly recommended record. Have a glass of your favorite beverage, sit back and relax.
707FF779-1D24-4A3B-B148-887C23C41F8E.jpeg

More about this album.
If interested in purchase .

PS
Metallica just came out if anyone is interested. Under $30 shipped. It will sell fast.
F103C905-3F08-47E0-91AC-568357BB2F31.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 2,710
Why vinyl????
And is it still something worth exploring for in era of unlimited downloads and streaming services boom?
I would say so. From my personal perspective, I believe it’s a music “delivery” format that makes interaction with your favorite musicians very personal. It would be rare do pick up a vinyl record without taking some time to explore beautiful art work or go down the list of accompanying performers, recording engineers or the recording studio where that recording took place. Often, you will find list of equipment that was used to make that amazing recording. Biographies of those musicians and circumstances that lead to making that record a reality. And most importantly. Rarely will you take out the record, drop the needle and listen to a single song. At least I wouldn’t.
Anyway, here are few words about vinyl and what it means for them personally from a musician and long time vinyl advocate M.F.

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 2,710
Just pre-ordered the new Blue Note pressing of Out to Lunch.

Ships on 24th.

The 301 is ready and waiting…

AE79816D-1D04-4106-9A74-4E7A100F2819.jpeg

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 2,710
Just pre-ordered the new Blue Note pressing of Out to Lunch.

Ships on 24th.

The 301 is ready and waiting…

That’s a wonderful turntable. Timeless classic.
And so did I (along with Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage and few other titles).
One thing about Blue Note releases is, that you really can’t go wrong with any of it.
PS
I pretty sure we are using the same vintage SME tonearm. Love it.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 2,710
Been collecting Vinyl since the late ‘60’s to the mid ‘80’s until the “perfect forever” CD’s came out, last few years I’ve put Vinyl replay back into my system with a Rega RP6 / Graham Slee reflex Phono preamp and for headphones my Icon Audio HP8 signature,
Usually “background” music, or anything I’m listening to while doing something else is usually from CD, once it’s down to allotting time to just sit and listen it’s dependant on how I feel, want to skip through various tracks it’s ripped CD’s from a PC server, if it’s listen to a whole album then it’s just as likely to be Vinyl…

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 2,710
Interesting, halfway through the post I thought “why not?”
12” 45rpm of Billy Idol … White Wedding part 1 & 2 …on the other side .. Rebel Yell .. Original 1982 pressing ..
Price sticker still on the sleeve … $4.00 .. 😳

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 2,710
Sweet setup. I actually think that tube amp has some benefits when it comes to vinyl/headphone setup. Ofcause it will hugely depend on headphone choice. But, I can see how tube amp could help take some edge off hot recordings.
BTW after all those years, your collection must be quite humongous…..
I try to add more titles to my collection but vinyl boom over the last couple of years, caused LP prices to skyrocket.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 2,710
Bit of a mixed bag, over 100 LP’s as I went with CD when it came out, even though the early versions always seemed to have “something missing” that you just couldn’t explain …
Chasing through various early CD players and DAC/Transports got a little closer but only really in the last 12 months after biting the bullet and shelling out for a Chord MScaler/Qutest has that gap almost vanished, now good LP recordings and good CD recordings are equally enjoyable,
no real direct comparison though, some LP versions sound better, some the CD version and usually down to the mixing … LP masters are usually done with loud deep bass notes centre mixed,
real difference now is the experience … listen to an LP with a nice big cover with artwork, sleeve notes, lyrics etc is different to a plastic CD case and any sleeve notes needing a magnifying glass …
or maybe that’s just me … 😬
Edit: Headphone choices … Quad ERA-1 , AKG K702

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 2,710
LP masters are usually done with loud deep bass notes centre mixed,

That’s because while mastering music for vinyl, mostly everything below 100Hz is mixed to mono. Bass notes below 70Hz are not directional anyway. This technique is mostly used due to stylus wide vertical movement and prevents skipping. Back in the days, it was necessary as an average consumer vinyl record players were pretty low quality. These days, with better turntables, it’s not that much of an issue. I believe mastering engineers (good ones) are aware of this and they do try to give us a bit better dynamic range and separation of lower frequencies.
Often, some masterings of the past might appear bass light. That’s the reason why.

And I agree. Digital of today, especially above certain price point, can be very compelling and not fatiguing in comparison to early digital days.
Eventho I have a soft spot for vinyl and work of my favorite master engineers who I admire, I really don’t have much to complaint about when it comes to what digital has to offer these days. But I am afraid that my vinyl will outlive my digital files stored on flimsy hard drives/pc.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 2,710
Can only go so far with cartridge compliance, even then the difference I noticed between good Vinyl and early CD replay was as much in bass weight and texture and the lack of the digital glare, also with much better replay gear compared to “back then” there were some subtle changes made in the RIAA curve specs around 1976 from memory and albums older than that seem to have a little more top end “sparkle” while not being overly bright sounding, and back further a couple of original “pre Dolby” LP’s sound noisier while sounding so ”alive” at the same time …
Luckily I‘m a “collector” at heart so I have the shiny CD of all my digital music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back