Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Apr 25, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #5,911 of 5,977
Don't want to open a can of worms here, but could be the cable. Less pure copper. Can you give us more details about the headphone and the different cables/adapters you may be using?
I used my Tungsten DS with the stock cable terminated into 4.4mm and used adapters for the XLR and 6.35mm connections for the same cable. I also noticed when I unplug the 4.4mm socket there's a buzz through the headphones not present with the xlr and 6.35mm. Does anyone else experience this?

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #5,912 of 5,977
I used my Tungsten DS with the stock cable terminated into 4.4mm and used adapters for the XLR and 6.35mm connections for the same cable. I also noticed when I unplug the 4.4mm socket there's a buzz through the headphones not present with the xlr and 6.35mm. Does anyone else experience this?
I just checked this, and I don't decern any buzz from any of the outputs, using the HE1000 Stealth.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #5,913 of 5,977
As with every "jack", also the Pentaconn will make short circuits when it is plugged in.

Plugging in/out the Pentaconn is even worser compared to the 1/4" output as the Pentaconn will make 4 short circuits instead of 2 for the 1/4".

This may result in a temporary overload of the amps which is not critical but may cause sound issues for a short period of time.

Although our amps are well protected against such overloads, it is recommended to cut the amp from the output connectors with the aid of the "HEAD" or "MUTE" button whilst plugging in/out jacks.

Such is not necessary for the 4-pin XLR !

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #5,915 of 5,977
I was just doing some testing. I plugged in a xlr to 4.4mm adapter and it has the same static when plugging in and out of the 4.4mm connection through the adapter but none when plugging in the xlr. So maybe it's just the arrangement of the 4.4mm connection sliding in and out that works differently as fdg stated.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #5,916 of 5,977
it is recommended to cut the amp from the output connectors with the aid of the "HEAD" or "MUTE" button whilst plugging in/out jacks.
That is great advice. I had no idea such a shorting condition existed. Would you suggest the same procedure when plugging or unplugging any TRS or TRRS plug into any device?

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #5,917 of 5,977
Really considering picking one up. For those who have ZMFs, how do you find the synergy with ZMFs? I have both dynamic driver and planar ZMFs. Also is there a way to change impedances? Or its just one impedance.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #5,918 of 5,977
Hello all...

Thank you to Power Holdings, I have a beautiful V281 Reissue here for review. It will take a couple weeks and try to get a review out in 3-4 weeks max. I am super excited to spend this month with this beauty. Not a huge fan of all the lights... it is very festive in my listening room. But the amp is gorgeous, and the sound is fantastic.

I have never heard the V281 before. It is one of very few amps of this quality I have not heard, but I am feeling very lucky right now to have this opportunity. Here are a few first impressions...

1. I have the pre gain switches set to 0db which seems to keep me between 11 and 1 on the volume attenuator.
2. The volume attenuator is a relay stepped attenuator which does make a bit of noise when you are moving the dial. I only hear the noise while the music is off. This is no different than my Corda Soul MK2 and is something that does NOT bother me in the slightest. I am already used to it with my Soul and I cannot hear any clicks while music is playing.
3. The amp is dead quiet in my system.
4. The amp has a ton of power and sounds great with both my planars and my high impedance dynamics. It is extremely flexible in this way.
5. The amp has definite timbral accents that are north of neutral giving it a nice tube like quality.
6. Bass is big and at times a bit bloomy. More than I am used to with my other amps, the CFA3 and Pure BiPolar as well as my EC Aficionado which are very linear through the lower end. The V281 has more energy below 500khz, but it doesn't seem to bother me and I don't hear any bleed into the midrange. It is very tastefully done.
7. Midrange has a lot of information and articulation. Vocals are extremely emotive and instruments sound very lifelilke. Especially acoustic instruments and electric guitar. I love the amps ability to compartmentalize information and decode complex passages so that you can hear each instrument in its specific place. The amp has great imaging.
8. Still figuring out the Treble. The amp is darker than what I am used to, but that by no means makes it a dark amp. I am just used to extremely neutral, but still buttery smooth amps.
6. Filtering capacitors keep the sound clean, and any resonances that do exist are way outside of human hearing. The amp sounds clean and organic.

That is all for now... Look forward to learning its secrets. As I often find, my initial impressions change as I learn a new piece. So, it will be fun to come back to these comments in a few weeks and see how things have changed, or stayed the same.

For those who are considering this amp, Arthur at Power Holdings will take good care of you. In the meantime, I will make sure and get a review out to help anyone interested in this beautiful amp. I am so glad to finally have one in house, even if for a short time.

The thread is already 395 pages, so while I would like to say that I will read the whole thing, the odds are that I will not. So, if I am repeating anything, which I am sure I am, please accept my apology.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 6.46.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 6.46.52 PM.png
    362.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 6.43.13 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 6.43.13 PM.png
    213.2 KB · Views: 0
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #5,919 of 5,977
Really considering picking one up. For those who have ZMFs, how do you find the synergy with ZMFs? I have both dynamic driver and planar ZMFs. Also is there a way to change impedances? Or its just one impedance.

There's no why I've found to change output impedance. But I have both ZMFs and Planars, and this amp is outstanding for them all. It's not so warm as to make my ZMF Atticus too dark or congested. But at the same time, it's just warm enough to bring out the musicality of my brighter HE1000 Stealth.

On top of that, it's the most resolving amp I've yet heard, with the biggest soundstage. Which is one of my favorite things. :)

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #5,920 of 5,977
To @mattiastomas: Violectric HPA V281 is my favourite solid-state h/p/a. Because of its ability to deliver greater voltage into higher impedance loads
IMG_7927.jpeg
[source: HPA V281 user manual], V281 is exceptionally capable in driving 300-ohm dynamic-driver ZMFs. Read this, then read this again: V281 + ZMF Atrium Open is an exquisite combination.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #5,921 of 5,977
There's no why I've found to change output impedance. But I have both ZMFs and Planars, and this amp is outstanding for them all. It's not so warm as to make my ZMF Atticus too dark or congested. But at the same time, it's just warm enough to bring out the musicality of my brighter HE1000 Stealth.

On top of that, it's the most resolving amp I've yet heard, with the biggest soundstage. Which is one of my favorite things. :)
That’s good to hear. I see that you’re pairing it with the bifrost. How are you liking that pairing? I have a bifrost as well

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #5,922 of 5,977
To @mattiastomas: Violectric HPA V281 is my favourite solid-state h/p/a. Because of its ability to deliver greater voltage into higher impedance loadsIMG_7927.jpeg [source: HPA V281 user manual], V281 is exceptionally capable in driving 300-ohm dynamic-driver ZMFs. Read this, then read this again: V281 + ZMF Atrium Open is an exqusite combination.
Thanks for the info. That’s very helpful. Man, my next ZMF is probably gonna be the Atrium Open too… seems like I might have to just grab the V281

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #5,923 of 5,977
That’s good to hear. I see that you’re pairing it with the bifrost. How are you liking that pairing? I have a bifrost as well
It's dynamic, detailed, yet oh so refined.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #5,924 of 5,977
That is great advice. I had no idea such a shorting condition existed. Would you suggest the same procedure when plugging or unplugging any TRS or TRRS plug into any device?
Someone once “kinda” mentioned this to me but without the helpful detail @fdg provided, so I wasn’t quite sure what to make of it. Great to get this additional insight. I have a number of different cables/plugs and will make sure to mute before plugging the 4.4/6.35 ones from here. Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 6:05 AM Post #5,925 of 5,977
To @mattiastomas: Violectric HPA V281 is my favourite solid-state h/p/a. Because of its ability to deliver greater voltage into higher impedance loadsIMG_7927.jpeg [source: HPA V281 user manual], V281 is exceptionally capable in driving 300-ohm dynamic-driver ZMFs. Read this, then read this again: V281 + ZMF Atrium Open is an exqusite combination.
Jonathan couldn't be more right. It is nearly 4am and I have been listening to my Atrium Open on the V281 for about 3 straight hrs and it is absolutely incredible on this amp. I have never heard this headphone sound this good on a SS amp. I have 2 of the best SS amps on the planet and neither make the AO sing like the V281. The 4 watts at 300 ohms this amp is outputting does magical things to this headphone. It fills in the gigantic soundstage, and opens up the front to back and lateral depth to create the most beautiful pocket, with the subtlety of crashing cymbals and the reality of what proper harmonic distortion does to the sound of guitar, piano and vocals. The saturation of the AO's north of neutral timbral qualities becomes incredible top end resolution with the proper amount of wetness. In short, this is the single best I have heard the AO sound off of my EC Aficionado. This amp is amazing and I am enjoying my time with it thoroughly. I have much listening yet to come, but what this amp excels at is already laying itself bare.

Anytime I am listening and all my brain says is one more song, one more song; I know that something special is happening and I can not just hear it, but feel it in the nape of my neck. The amount of air that the V281's current pushes into a 300 ohm headphone is spectacular. I am loving my time thus far. And the results with my VC have been exactly the same, with just a smaller but more defined and immediate soundstage. AC after I wake. Now time for bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back