Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
May 21, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #5,461 of 5,991
May 21, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #5,462 of 5,991
With my stripped down V281 (V220), I use a Schiit Bifrost 2.

May 22, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #5,463 of 5,991
With my V222 (should sound the same as V281 ) I use V850.

May 23, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #5,467 of 5,991
May 26, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #5,468 of 5,991
A few months ago, I was very lucky to find and purchase a virtually unused HPA V281: after a 1-1/2 to 2 year search. 😮‍💨 -> 😳 -> 🥲
I missed out on the used Corda Soul that recently sold on this very forum, so I checked Ebay every day for a month or so and got lucky! 🥳🎉

IMG_0839.jpg

Now, the driver link in the papers that came with the device is outdated. Does anyone have an up to date link? I can't find it on the Power Holdings or Violectric website.

EDIT: The link is apparently this one, but does anyone know if the Final Edition has the Tenor or XMOS chip inside of it? I can't see that information in the manual.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #5,469 of 5,991
I missed out on the used Corda Soul that recently sold on this very forum, so I checked Ebay every day for a month or so and got lucky! 🥳🎉

IMG_0839.jpg

Now, the driver link in the papers that came with the device is outdated. Does anyone have an up to date link? I can't find it on the Power Holdings or Violectric website.

EDIT: The link is apparently this one, but does anyone know if the Final Edition has the Tenor or XMOS chip inside of it? I can't see that information in the manual.
That's not a lava lamp on top of the V281 is it? If yes, far out and groovy man!

May 26, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #5,471 of 5,991
That's not a lava lamp on top of the V281 is it? If yes, far out and groovy man!
It absolutely is! 😁 (Just noticed that both get pretty hot though, so it might not be healthy for either in the long run...)

Turns out it's the XMOS chip in the Final Edition so right now I'm thoroughly enjoying a very physical and deep ear massage from this thing. How deep? Well, let me put it this way... there's apparently an ultra low bass note at around the 1 minute mark in Black Mambo by Glass Animals that I didn't notice before. 🤯 There's also a rather feint triangle playing in the left channel in The Iceman by Artless Venture that I also didn't really pay attention to with my old amp. Looking forward to discovering more things in more songs!

May 27, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #5,472 of 5,991
It absolutely is! 😁 (Just noticed that both get pretty hot though, so it might not be healthy for either in the long run...)

Turns out it's the XMOS chip in the Final Edition so right now I'm thoroughly enjoying a very physical and deep ear massage from this thing. How deep? Well, let me put it this way... there's apparently an ultra low bass note at around the 1 minute mark in Black Mambo by Glass Animals that I didn't notice before. 🤯 There's also a rather feint triangle playing in the left channel in The Iceman by Artless Venture that I also didn't really pay attention to with my old amp. Looking forward to discovering more things in more songs!
When you talk about the XMOS chip, I don't know anything about that. Does that pertain to using the built-in USB dac? I also have the F.E. version but never use the built-in dac. Just use mine as a preamp and occasionally as a headphone amp

May 28, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #5,473 of 5,991
When you talk about the XMOS chip, I don't know anything about that. Does that pertain to using the built-in USB dac? I also have the F.E. version but never use the built-in dac. Just use mine as a preamp and occasionally as a headphone amp
Yes. I use it as an AIO. I don't even know if there's such a thing as a V850 Final Edition (because now I have to have a matching polished edge), 😆 but if I ever come across one maybe I'll consider it, though I'd honestly be surprised if I hear a difference.

May 28, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #5,474 of 5,991
Yes. I use it as an AIO. I don't even know if there's such a thing as a V850 Final Edition (because now I have to have a matching polished edge), 😆 but if I ever come across one maybe I'll consider it, though I'd honestly be surprised if I hear a difference.
I'd say "I have an edge you can polish" but a statement like that could probably be misconstrued. Seemingly a case where discretion is the better part of valor 🤔

Jun 2, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #5,475 of 5,991
Dilemma. A dilemma so frequent I don't know why I don't see this coming each time. Verite Closed is amazing, but a tiny bit bright. Tubes seems to be the consensus for ZMF but, every time I buy something I need to change something else. And I swore off tubes last time because of all the hassle. Heard lots of things about the Cayin HA-3A, but I was perfectly happy with my V281 until I changed the headphones... Do you prioritise the amp or the headphones?...
Going to take a few measures first to try and smooth things a bit- trying a different power cable for the V281 and upgrade the PSU on the streamer and modem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back