Vmoda M-80 question. Also ath-m50. And LP. Something else as well.
Apr 7, 2014 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

izver

New Head-Fier
Hi. So my last PC headset broke. And now I'm looking for a new pair of headphones for my daily PC usage. I wont really be taking them out much, since I have some ie80's for that. So they'll be mostly sitting on my desk. Portability isn't really important to me.

I have done quite a bit of browsing, and I guess I have it narrowed down to the ath-m50, or the vmoda m80. Now, apparently the M-80 is superior, and since the price difference is negligible I should be getting those. But there's also the LP. And LP2. Apaprently the LP's are better for gaming, and better for EDM. Which I am leaning to currently.  So there's that to consider.

I am sort of a sucker for heavy bass. A friend has the beats solo, and the bass there is just mind shattering. And at first I thought the m-80's were also strong on the bass, but the more I read into it, the more forum threads, the more reviews I read, the more I get the impression that the m80's actually don't really have strong bass. A lot of people said that the bass on m-80's is very comparable to the one on ath-m50's. And these are praised for their neutral sound, and mediocre bass.
And strong bass is a deciding factor for me. Since I mainly listen to EDM music. I don't consider myself an audiphile, and absolute music fidelity isn't as important to me as mind boggling bass. Should I be looking at the LP's for that? 

I will be using the headphones mainly for music, video media (youtube, short clips, short tv episodes), gaming, skype, but not movies. Mostly skype and gaming. Since when I work/learn I use speakers.

The LP's have 2 versions. The LP, and the LP2. Some reviews say that the LP2 are less bassy, but have better overall sound. But they are 50€ more expensive on amazon. Is it worth the extra price?

Oh another question I have is, why are the m-80's priced cheaper than the LP's on v-moda site, yet on amazon they are waay more expensive? Also, has anyone tried the v-moda immortal life program to get a new pair cheaper? 

Oh, and I can not go test them, since there's no big retailer in my country. I can only rely on you. :)

Cheers!

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 8
Well if you're looking for bass heavy cans i reccomend:
Audiotechnica athm50
M-audio q40
Velodyne vquiet
Beyerdynamic dt770 pro
Ultrasone hfi 580
Beyerdynamic custom one pro

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 8
The m-80s are pretty balanced according to the reviews.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-crossfade-m-80

Beats solos are terrible when it comes to value
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beats-solo-by-dr-dre-on-ear-headphones-with-controltalk-white

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Neither one of them is neutral. They both definitely boost the bass. Either way, the new V-Moda XS looks even better so id look into that, and the ES FC300 is one of the best closed cans under $350. I know the FC300's bass is emphasized, more than the M50 is. I'd bet the XS is also but I'm not sure.
Also look into the ATH WS99.

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 8
You will need to go to the asian headphone thread to get info on the donscorpios
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/2430#post_10448969

Users who are viewing this thread

Back