[VOTE] Which is the better choice?
Sep 16, 2011 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ishJJx3

New Head-Fier

Monster Beats (By Dr. Dre) Studio, or Skullcandy SK Pro?

This isn't based on a decision I'm making.  This is based on a childish argument I'm having with my cousin, and I'd like to know what everybody else thinks.
In terms of this argument, I do not want to hear suggestions for other headphones.  We are both aware that these are overpriced.

One or the other, and why (if you may).

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 18
Heya,

Well, what's the argument? Numbers are the same? Numbers are meaningless on spec sheets.

Put a 3rd contender in that list. The Panasonic RP-HTF600. It's equivalent. And I'm not joking. Quite serious. I'm going to buy some Beats just to do a comparison with a few different headphones. If I were buying SkullCandies, I'd probably get Aviators (the browns look nice actually) before dealing with those SK Pro's, simply because they look like street junk (style wise).

Very best,

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 18
edited...

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 18
What was that one episode of South Park where they had an election?
These candidates remind me of that episode...

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 18
Like a lot of people here, I wouldn't personally buy either one of these but since the OP asked for us to simply entertain this comparison just for its own sake, I'll bite.
I think I'd choose the Skullcandy phones. Here are my reasons:
1. They look like ordinary DJ headphones, so they won't be too flamboyant
2. They seem to fold up, or at least this is what I gather from this photo. This would be useful for portability
3. They are cheaper and we all know neither company makes products with particularly good SQ so I wouldn't worry about SQ in this comparison, I'd just want a functional can

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 18
Neither
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 18
Yeah, what exactly is the argument? Which do you (OP) go in favor of? Do you own either phones? or both?

I would actually like to know what YOU think first, before you ask everyone else.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Where did you get the SK Pros price from?

Even on Skullcandie's own website they are 150$

http://ca.skullcandy.com/shop/sk-pro-carbon.html

Quote:
Like a lot of people here, I wouldn't personally buy either one of these but since the OP asked for us to simply entertain this comparison just for its own sake, I'll bite.
I think I'd choose the Skullcandy phones. Here are my reasons:
1. They look like ordinary DJ headphones, so they won't be too flamboyant
2. They seem to fold up, or at least this is what I gather from this photo. This would be useful for portability
3. They are cheaper and we all know neither company makes products with particularly good SQ so I wouldn't worry about SQ in this comparison, I'd just want a functional can

Thank you for being the only person to give an accordant answer.

Quote:
Yeah, what exactly is the argument? Which do you (OP) go in favor of? Do you own either phones? or both?

I would actually like to know what YOU think first, before you ask everyone else.

I don't understand why you would need my opinion to create yours.
All I'm asking is which you'd prefer the most.  Or which one reeks the least, whatever floats your boat.

I've tried both, and I enjoyed the SK Pro's much more.  The bass is somewhat neutral and the mids are very nice.
I feel that the Beats Studio only have its bass going for it.  The mids and highs are terrible.  I'd only enjoy them if I were listening to Round 2. (0:53)

Overall, I can still agree that they are both heavily overpriced.  Disregarded, my cousin strives to convince me that Beats "rape" the SK Pro.
I figured that I'd be able to get a good comparison from this forum.  Unfortunately it seems like 80% of the answers so far are about a lack of motivation to say A or B.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
I don't understand why you would need my opinion to create yours.
All I'm asking is which you'd prefer the most.  Or which one reeks the least, whatever floats your boat.

You already know the answer to this, it's like preaching to (or asking) the choir. Most head-fiers will give you the same answers as above, they will say neither or give some witty comment. Since you did not present your argument first, they won't care to take a side.

Beside that, you have now given me your argument so I will give my mine: And since you didn't ask specifically what people think is a better choice (sound quality or looks), I'll say that I have only heard the Beats and I would agree with the majority that the bass is overpowering with lack of good mids/highs. Other than that, visual design wise I think the Beats 'look' cooler/more refined than the Skullcandy pair (I would have to say this for most, if not the entire line of Skullcandy's).

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 18

I figured that the question spoke for itself.
If I asked "HD 6990 or GTX 590 and why", would you think I meant which one looked cooler?  No.
In such a case, I'm sorry I didn't compensate for those who may lack a trace of common sense.  According to you, that's "most head-fiers".

Nonetheless, thank you for your opinion.  You were a good contribution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back