WA7 pairing with HD800
Aug 28, 2014 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Good afternoon all. I have taken a long hiatus from the hobby for the past few years....but it is good to be back :)

I recently picked up a pair of HD800's. I have owned a pair before and found them as detailed and exacting on source as frequently described. I am currently looking for an amp to pair with it, with a preference for tubes.

Rather than asking which amp I should go for (as there are plenty of threads on that), I wanted to ask more specifically about the HD800 and Woo WA7 pairing. It is an intriguing amp, in particular having the built in DAC which may prove useful in a minimalist desktop setup. I know it is not what you would call "upper limits", but my budget won't allow me to play in that space for the next few years. Hence the search for something more reasonable.

I could not find much information on synergy between the two and thus wanted to ask for opinions from anyone who has been able to listen to the two together. Do they work well? Does the WA7 provide sufficient tube warmth to help tame the HD800's upper registers?

Thanks in advance for any advice
X

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Here's my take, as an owner of both pieces of gear:

First, in my opinion the onboard DAC is not sufficient for the HD800's. It's not resolving enough, and is a bit shouty. I simply don't see it as a selling point when you're dealing with such a demanding headphone. If you're intending to use the WA7 as a bedroom unit with a lower end headphone, where you need to minimize space, then the onboard DAC makes more sense.

Second, in order to start to really take advantage of the HD800's soundstaging/imaging capabilities (and to adjust the overall tonality to your liking), you're going to want to get WA7 with the WA7tp. Furthermore, you're going to want the stock tubes in the tube PSU to be changed out. The stock tubes in the WA7tp are pretty anemic. 

IF you use an external DAC and upgrade the PSU/tubes, the combo can work pretty well. It isn't a particularly thick sound, but I wouldn't describe it as thin either, rather it falls towards a fairly neutral presentation. This said, you really don't have many options in terms of driver tube choices - this is a weak point IMO. The EH gold pin tubes that are offered as an upgrade through Woo are nice, but you really can't fine tune the sound much. The WA6se would be better in this regard IMO.

In conclusion, I think there are better and more flexible options out there for the money. I enjoy the HD800 a great deal with the WA7, but it's taken time and expense to really get to a point where I'm fairly happy with it. To me, an "ideal" HD800 setup requires a highly resolving amp with good soundstage abilities, that doesn't have an overly syrupy presentation, but is still thick and full without being strident or harsh. Too much "tube warmth" mojo diminishes how resolving and transparent the HD800 can potentially be. Tricky business.  

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi there and thank you so much for the extremely useful info.

I considered end-game amps like a Zana Deux et al, but apart from the cost of the amp, there are the additional costs of a separate source, balanced cabling , etc.

That is something I cannot dive into at this stage hence the consideration of a smaller, more cost effective system.

If going the WA7 route it would indeed be with the tube power supply and upgraded tubes - a relatively cost effective option. The built-in DAC would serve as source for now; an upgrade can always take place at a latter stage.

With the right tubes, do you find the WA7 providing sufficient warmth and thickness?

Cheers
X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back