Want to upgrade from HE4xx
Nov 2, 2020 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shotland

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I want to upgrade fro my Hifiman HE4xx cans. I have a Schiit Bimby and Schiit Asgard 3. I want something with the same clarity and detail (or more), but with more bass (presence and control) as well as something a little more fun! Maybe warmer? Less bright, but without sacrificing detail. Any recommendations? I mostly listen to Jazz, hiphop, and some electronic.

Budget is up to $800 with a little wiggle room

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 8
I own the HE-400i and often use the Philips Fidelio X2HR dynamic headphone to offset the neutral sound of the 400i. The X2HR has a nice bass boost which adds fun and dynamics to most of my hi-fi tracks. You'll still get treble detail so chimes and cymbals won't be washed out by the bass. The build quality is awesome.

The only downside is the pads aren't easily replaceable and you won't be able to find OEM pads so the aftermarket pads won't return the sound to its original greatness.

Another benefit is the price. They are often found for under $200 new.

If you want to stick with a planar the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open is another option. I own that too and the slight seal of the pads gives a little bass boost to my standard hi-fi tracks. Not quite as much as the X2HR, but enough to make me tap my foot a bit more.

Here are some new tracks for you so you can expand your listening experience:

1.) Glues Grinder by Ronny Jordan on the Rough and the Smooth album
2.) Pirate Medley by Peter Hollens on the COVERS VOL. III album
3.) Do You Remember (RSV Mix) by Peter Bronson
4.) Dedicated To... by Allan Taylor on the Stockfisch Records 'Closer To The Music 3' album

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Up your budget or find a used pair of ZMF Atticus or if you can find them HE-500. Should have the HE-5xx’s by the end of the week but having some doubts if they will be as good as the originals but will have to wait and see.

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 8
Hey guys, I want to upgrade fro my Hifiman HE4xx cans. I have a Schiit Bimby and Schiit Asgard 3. I want something with the same clarity and detail (or more), but with more bass (presence and control) as well as something a little more fun! Maybe warmer? Less bright, but without sacrificing detail. Any recommendations? I mostly listen to Jazz, hiphop, and some electronic.

Budget is up to $800 with a little wiggle room
I can heartily recommend the Focal Elex.

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 8
If you want more bass, more fun (acuracy, dynamic), sure second hand LCDX MC (creator edition). Did not hear but very good seems to be Verum One, Monolith M1070 and some models from ZMF. If you want stay with HiFiMAN then second hand Edition X V2.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 8
if you want new headphones then I recommend the LCD-2C.
They have excellent bass and control. Detail retrieval also definitely a Touch above the He4xx.
The bass amount is flat as with most higher end headphones so you might want to add a Schiit Loki to your stack.

As used option I recommend the Edition X V2, those have slightly more bass quantity and a lot bigger stage. An old favourite of mine that is no longer produced.
Or if you find one the He500.

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for your suggestions everybody. I did a lot of research on all of the cans you recommended. I ended up going for a pair of LCD 2C's! Very excited to hear them.
Excellent choice, enjoy them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back