Warm-ish Amp and DAC Recommendations
Jun 22, 2017 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Zenrap518

100+ Head-Fier
I have the PSB M4U 1 and while i think they sound great, i hear a bit of sibilance and sound break-up at louder volumes. This is a bit annoying, so i am wanting a warm and smooth solid state amp and dac to solve this. I have a budget of $200 USD, or $300 CAD (So no NFB-11.28). Also, it should be able to get to Canada. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 14
Going to be a bit hard to get an amp and a DAC with the characteristics you are seeking at the $300 CAD level. I suppose you could always try a Bravo Ocean (warm) plus a Modi 2. It doesn't have the most ideal impedance matching. But it could potentially be an option in your price range.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 14
Going to be a bit hard to get an amp and a DAC with the characteristics you are seeking at the $300 CAD level. I suppose you could always try a Bravo Ocean (warm) plus a Modi 2. That could potentially be an option in your price range.
I forgot to say, but i am looking for a Solid State Amp, and my budget might be able to stretch to $350 CAD.

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 14
Warm and SS usually don't happen that much. If you can find a deal on a Teac UD-301 it has a fairly warm headphone output and it is also a balanced dac . The other one I still own is over budget but the Cavalli Liquid Carbon is one fine amp that leans towards the warmer side.

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 14
These pop up on ebay , almost every week, for $349 shipped anywhere from emotiva. Emo stuff to my ears is warmer/darker than a lot of other amps I've tried. Best I could think of with your budget.
https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/pres-and-pros/ta-100
$50 over my budget... Also, i'm not looking for dark, just smooth with a touch of warmth with no added sibilance. How doesthe Schiit Stack 2 perform? It's probably not warm, but does it add sibilance or not?

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 14
You might want to look at different headphones . I have not heard the PSB's but you are going to a lot of effort to make them sound good to you. Just a thought. I've never owned a Schiit stack so I won't comment to much on them as I've heard them several times at meets . I've not heard any of my headphones on them just others so it would be hard for me to judge them but they seem to me to be very competent. I've only owned one Schiit amp and that was a Valhalla 2 and it with stock tubes was the most solid state tube amp I have ever heard. Most all Schiit amps have plenty of power and most would call them neutral I think I've heard them all but the Jot and Fulla. Most I would call bright but my reference is warm tube amps and the Cavalli which is also warm so my view is a bit screwed here. Just that if your trying to knock down sibilance you might look for a different headphone.

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 14
How does the Schiit Stack 2 (Magni/Modi 2) Perform? Is it smooth? Does it increase sibilance or treble? If it doesn't increase the sibilance, i might just get that.

It doesn't to me at sane output levels but I've already learned that if someone asks for anything that isn't neutral at the very least give that person an amp that has a distortion pattern that errs on warm than bright (which is also what I'd typically get), if not just hand them something that deliberately warms everything once the volume is cranked up.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 14
Are you fine with buying used? Channel Islands amps like the VHP-1 is very smooth and slightly warm when compared to the O2, if they ever pop up in the classifieds it should be in your budget. Also as ProtegeManiac said Meier amps fit the description very well too

Jun 23, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Are you fine with buying used? Channel Islands amps like the VHP-1 is very smooth and slightly warm when compared to the O2, if they ever pop up in the classifieds it should be in your budget. Also as ProtegeManiac said Meier amps fit the description very well too
No, i don't like used. How is the Schiit Stack 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back