Watts Up...?
Feb 1, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #3,001 of 4,695
@Rob Watts you mentioned in a previous reply that the charger has been developed specifically for the Mojo's desktop mode. Which charger are you referring to?

“When the battery is fully charged it will go into desktop mode - and unlike Hugo 2 the battery is disconnected to preserve battery life. That meant I had to improve the PSU regulation/rejection and design the charger so that when in desktop mode it was a low impedance high current power source.”

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #3,002 of 4,695
@Rob Watts you mentioned in a previous reply that the charger has been developed specifically for the Mojo's desktop mode. Which charger are you referring to?

“When the battery is fully charged it will go into desktop mode - and unlike Hugo 2 the battery is disconnected to preserve battery life. That meant I had to improve the PSU regulation/rejection and design the charger so that when in desktop mode it was a low impedance high current power source.”
Good question.
Cheers CC

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #3,003 of 4,695
In the Moon Audio unboxing, it was a usb charging cable, but no brick, included. Like with original Mojo.

PS: I find Christer’s “get off my lawn” posts amusing.
Well in my feeble defence for being so sloppy , when I wrote that first M2 post with my "wishes", I had only quickly browsed through Rob´s seminar post and found no direct info regarding compatiblity with Mscaler there.. And I was not aware of either the Moon Audio unboxing nor Chord´s own information which was not yet online when I checked.
Anyway I am happy to have been able to amuse you. Here is a link to a little "gem" I have been tempted to post here with after seeing some other "Wishes", maybe not quite fulfilled?
Monty Python Sketch: "Wishes" - YouTube
So how does one charge the thing? Via a laptop or any mobile phone charger?
Cheers and thanks for updating me CC.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #3,004 of 4,695

"and design the charger" I assume this refers to the charging circuit and the FPGA control solution implemented in the Mojo 2.

Feb 1, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #3,007 of 4,695
If all the circuitry is shut down, there is no mechanism to re-start.

So the RF problems (2G GSM buzz) was not RF but audio from the modulation of the RF carrier whilst the phone was communicating with the base station.

This was a problem I could not measure or experience, but Chord could sporadically replicate it. Once realising it was induced audio frequency magnetic fields, I set about coming up with strategies to mitigate it. This worked, in that the problem is now much less - it's at a similar level to Hugo 2 with the mobile phone mounted as close as possible to Mojo 2.

Having said all that, this problem only occurs with 2G - 3G, 4G and 5G do not modulate the carrier like this, and 2G is rapidly disappearing.

Yes. The tip and ring are for the two signals. Note the ring signal is only for dual data mode (M scaler) it is not another SPDIF coax input.

Not quite correct - the total number is 16 times not 15 times. And for 88.2/96 it's still the same amount of processing per OP sample, so the latency in your example becomes 0.35S as the input data is coming in at double the rate.

Taps are taps, the speed just sets the number of cores. So Mojo 2 (for the WTA1 filter only) has 40 DSP per channel (80 in total) running at half the clock speed as per Hugo 2. If it was same clock rate as Hugo 2, it would be 20 per channel, (40 in total). Both strategies give identical results.

Who knows what the future will hold regarding M scalers. My hope is that prices will come down markedly, but at the moment that seems like a dream. It will happen, but more like in the next decade.

So battery life is a complex thing - it's like MPG and YMWV. So I wanted to have >8 hours under all circumstances - IEMs or full size HP, with USB too. (USB adds to power consumption). IEMs are actually worse than HP, as it's current that depletes the battery, not voltage, and IEMs typically draw more current than full size headphones - even though the voltage is very low. I achieved 9 hours 11 minutes with headphones driven loud using USB; nearly 10 hours with optical. With IEMs it was 8 hours 45 minutes on USB.

Proper headphone jack? That would make Mojo 2 80mm wide rather than 60mm wide....

Mojo 2 will give 99.5 dB SPL for the HD800, and 98.3 dB for Stealth. That's seriously ear damaging levels.

Like Mojo, no charger given.

As to whether it will work for you, your best bet is to listen to one.

At the pulse array DAC side, coupling to the OP amplifier.
Thanks for your rapid response Rob.
My question about future Mscalers was actually whether Mojo2 will be compatible with it/those as well?

If I live into the next decade my hearing will probably not be good enough to appreciate further refinements by then.
And frankly, I am as I said so often before here soo happy with my Qutest /HMS both via HEKV2 and my speakers .

I listened to my favourite recording of Sibelius´ 2nd symphony via HEKV2 last night as a 24/96 download Andris Nelson/ BSO and it sounded so good that I could basically forget I was listening to a recording and fully concentrate on the fantastic music and performance.
And this morning I played Anoushka Shankar´s absolutely amazing DGG album RISE via my big speakers and revelled in her fantastic musicality and the exciting and authentic exotic soundscapes she conjured up. Now,to use the term musicality is really justified with her imo.
Only humans and some animals,like birds and whales can possess musicality.
A dac or any other similar "toy" can be more or less transparent, but not musical imo.
My only need for a possible Mojo 2 would be as a lightest possible travel toy .
But I have no need for any of the new equalizing options or crossfeed settings ,only max transparency and enough power to drive good headphones.
Comforting to hear that M2 will drive "REAL" headphones like HD800 and Dan´s Stealth too.? Really? Have you auditioned Stealth yet?
If so,what is your take on it?
But ,what about the quite a bit more difficult to drive HEKV2 which is the headphone I use on a daily basis, will it cope with that one as well?
Regarding no charger I only auditioned Mojo a few times and realized it was not as good as my Hugo1 and was not aware that no charger was included with it.
Why not?
And how to charge it?

Imho a PROPER headphone jack would have been a VERY welcome improvement over Mojo ! 20 mm wider would imo have been a bonus too and allowed for even further improvements with the extra space given.

Well well, wishes and wishes..Monty Python Sketch: "Wishes" - YouTube
Sorry, I just could not resist posting it here again.

One more question though, will it work with both Poly and Mscaler attached at the same time?
I have no experiences at all with Poly and it looks as if a Poly added would block the coax/BNC port?
I will of course audition Mojo 2. But I will not buy one in Sweden where prices will most probably be ridiculously high.
If at all,maybe somewhere in SE Asia next winter.
PS. Enjoy Singapore in April!
I miss it a lot!
If there is an SSO Concert at the Esplanade do make it over there this time,they are really good!
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #3,008 of 4,695
I had a Hugo 2 and found it very nice, but I sold it because it is not a portable DAC, nor is it a Desktop DAC. I still have my Mojo and use it "some", and more lately, I am working with the way. The Mojo 2 is of great interest using my iPhone as the computer.

Yet I am tempted by the new Dongle/DAC devices such as the SU6. A lot of hype around things.

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #3,009 of 4,695
I had a Hugo 2 and found it very nice, but I sold it because it is not a portable DAC, nor is it a Desktop DAC. I still have my Mojo and use it "some", and more lately, I am working with the way. The Mojo 2 is of great interest using my iPhone as the computer.

Yet I am tempted by the new Dongle/DAC devices such as the SU6. A lot of hype around things.
I for one found Mojo1 to be superior to RU6. Mojo 2 will be superior to it in every way by looks of it but then again RU6 is a small dongle device for only $250

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #3,010 of 4,695
40,000 taps! makes my hugo 1's 26,000 taps seem obsolete now, though it still very enjoyable from a musical perspective
@endless402 It is not obsolete as long as you can listen to it with a joy. Don't let marketing and sales reps tell you otherwise :wink: It reminds me of discussion HTT2 vs Dave: while Dave has more taps than TT2, I still prefer TT2 sound signature for example.

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #3,012 of 4,695
@kumar402 I'm interested in RU6 due to my other experiences with R2R dacs. I wonder which one will be more smooth, but than again I'm also betting on Mojo 2.
If cost is no object then go for Mojo2. Although I haven’t heard Mojo 2 myself but based on my experience with Mojo 1

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #3,013 of 4,695
Direct coupling is good too, but its effects depends on many factors.
I'm interested to know more about this; without going too deep into details, can you briefly summarize which factors are involved in making direct coupling superior to capacitor coupling, thank you.

I also wonder why the original Mojo wasn't designed with direct coupling if it is more transparent than a coupling capacitor, but that's a question for Rob Watts if he wants to tell us...

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #3,014 of 4,695
I am so happy that Rob is starting to implement transparent eq settings into the dacs!!!
Hopefully I am not too naive to think that a more advanced eq (maybe with save slots for different headphones) may be integrated into the new xM scaler for Dave:pray:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back