Watts Up...?
Jun 22, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #3,511 of 4,701
It could be that the stock PSU is dumping noise back into the power board it is plugged into, and the difference you're hearing is actually from the effect of that noise on other components plugged in there as well. There was some discussion about it it a while back.
Thanks for your response,. What you said could very well be THE or at least one reason. I think that was what some of the first reviewers of Qutest concluded as well.
And if so it is yet another annoying little thing on top of the horrible micro usb connection, that throttles a good dac that to be honest does not sound bad even via the stock supply, but audibly more effortless and realistic without it.
What is your take on the powerbanks some use instead of the stock supply? And have you who as I understand things from your YT site listens only via headphones also tried any of the expensive lnear PSU options in some cases specifically made to be used with Chord dacs ??
There seem to be quite a thriving aftermarket upgrade choice out there for Chord dacs?
With my own experiences since getting the Storm and Stream cables for my Qutest /HMS combo there are definitely improvements to be made over stock supply and stock BNC cables.
The benefits with just going" offline" so to say were already easily audible with Qutest on its own and via headphones and noisy grid power in SE-Asia so I got the one I am still using together with my Qutest even before mscaler was released.
Most probably not THE very best ,but better than stock imho.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #3,512 of 4,701
@Christer ….Actually changed my mind, my top wish list is that Chord Qutest moves away from using microUSB for power. Regular DC jack would be most appreciated.

Anyhow, do try the Network Acoustics Muon - I think it might now be the best method of connection, and I don’t say that lightly after hearing the benefits of optical & spdif coax over USB (Sablon 2020). All cables performed better than stock.

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #3,513 of 4,701
Personally all I can say is that my own humble Qutest sounds more effortless and dare I say "analogue" and realistic with acoustic instruments if used with a battery powered PSU which is the only alternative powersupply to the stock wallwart one I have at hand to compare with.
And I do not mean a typical off the shelf switchmode powerbank

Which powerbank are you using? Does it totally lack a switching circuit?

Im designing a battery supply with integrated charger for Dave and HMS which also makes 5vdc using 8v lead acid accu's and a linear regulator. This has none switching activity.
The capacity can be much more than regular powerbanks.

If u want i can share a schematic.

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #3,514 of 4,701
Thanks for your response,. What you said could very well be THE or at least one reason. I think that was what some of the first reviewers of Qutest concluded as well.
And if so it is yet another annoying little thing on top of the horrible micro usb connection, that throttles a good dac that to be honest does not sound bad even via the stock supply, but audibly more effortless and realistic without it.
What is your take on the powerbanks some use instead of the stock supply? And have you who as I understand things from your YT site listens only via headphones also tried any of the expensive lnear PSU options in some cases specifically made to be used with Chord dacs ??
There seem to be quite a thriving aftermarket upgrade choice out there for Chord dacs?
With my own experiences since getting the Storm and Stream cables for my Qutest /HMS combo there are definitely improvements to be made over stock supply and stock BNC cables.
The benefits with just going" offline" so to say were already easily audible with Qutest on its own and via headphones and noisy grid power in SE-Asia so I got the one I am still using together with my Qutest even before mscaler was released.
Most probably not THE very best ,but better than stock imho.
Cheers CC

I don't have the Qutest here, so I can't say anything for certain. I do have the Hugo 2, and whatever PSU I use makes zero difference to the sound.

I've found that both digital connections and gear in general benefits from a better primary power supply to one's system. I have an old Power Plant Premier (it was cheap!) and that feeds a filtered power board. The filters are used with wall-warts, so that they don't inject noise back into my system. Even with that, I made a very long power cable to connect the PPP to a spare wall socket on the opposite side of the room, and the sound of my system got darker.

One of the notable changes I noticed, as did another person, is that as you fix power issues in your system, the effect of different digital cables is much reduced. Different digital cables have different noise profiles, but if noise is reduced, so is their effect. So, I'm still using the $15 short cables I got to neaten the connection between the MScaler and TT2, and adding ferrites to them (the cheap way to test for noise) makes no difference.

Some years ago, a dealer was clearing out their entire stock of a particular brand of cables. I bought some of their BNC-terminated S/PDIF cables at 95% off retail. They made the sound brighter and harsher. So, I decided to disassemble one, and found that the internal cable was the same one they used for their AES cable, and it most certainly isn't 75 Ohm as it should be!

You'll see the same problem with boutique USB cables. How many of them are using 90 Ohm shielded cable as they should be? Quite a lot are not! So, I'm somewhat wary of expensive digital cables. Maybe what people report as "better" is actually worse. Maybe if someone wants to lend me some to try them out, I will, but I'd still say that focussing on removing noise from one's power supply is going to help the most.

Jun 23, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #3,516 of 4,701
The Hugo 2 is powered by it's batteries and they filter out any noise introduced b y the PSU.
I get what you're saying, but batteries aren't noise filters. You'd be saying that the charging circuit acts as a better filter than is what is in the Qutest. I'd be surprised if that were true.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #3,517 of 4,701
I don't have the Qutest here, so I can't say anything for certain. I do have the Hugo 2, and whatever PSU I use makes zero difference to the sound.

I am using an Apple iPad charger with the Hugo 2.
Before pairing the Chord 2Go with the Hugo 2, I could clearly hear a background noise when charging while listening.
I wasn't even specifically paying attention to any SQ degradations, I simply noted that there was something wrong, and when removing the charging cable the sound became clear again. If I had to describe it, it may have been a 50Hz hum, but I am not sure now.

I am aware that the charging setup is less than ideal in my office, with the charger sharing a distributor with many other devices and using a long USB cable with a magnetic micro-USB plug that I leave permanently in the Hugo.

I did not notice this issue anymore with the Hugo2Go combination, but I also rarely charge during listening now.

Just to add this to the discussion that in my case the charger did create SQ issues.

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #3,518 of 4,701

I've found that both digital connections and gear in general benefits from a better primary power supply to one's system. I have an old Power Plant Premier (it was cheap!) and that feeds a filtered power board. The filters are used with wall-warts, so that they don't inject noise back into my system. Even with that, I made a very long power cable to connect the PPP to a spare wall socket on the opposite side of the room, and the sound of my system got darker.

One of the notable changes I noticed, as did another person, is that as you fix power issues in your system, the effect of different digital cables is much reduced. Different digital cables have different noise profiles, but if noise is reduced, so is their effect. So, I'm still using the $15 short cables I got to neaten the connection between the MScaler and TT2, and adding ferrites to them (the cheap way to test for noise) makes no difference.

Some years ago, a dealer was clearing out their entire stock of a particular brand of cables. I bought some of their BNC-terminated S/PDIF cables at 95% off retail. They made the sound brighter and harsher. So, I decided to disassemble one, and found that the internal cable was the same one they used for their AES cable, and it most certainly isn't 75 Ohm as it should be!

You'll see the same problem with boutique USB cables. How many of them are using 90 Ohm shielded cable as they should be? Quite a lot are not! So, I'm somewhat wary of expensive digital cables. Maybe what people report as "better" is actually worse. Maybe if someone wants to lend me some to try them out, I will, but I'd still say that focussing on removing noise from one's power supply is going to help the most.
Perhaps you are right on digital cables... improving the power supply of source components could help to nullify the audible differences/performance delta between different 'Audiophile' USB cables... on the other hand, the delta might actually improve. I'll try it.

Power supply changes to qutest have minimal effect in comparison. You need to spend some serious money on a preamp to better Chord's inbuilt pre in Hugo2 etc..., if you run something like an Audio-gd preamp (e.g. Master 9 like used to own) it's just not good enough. Really, you need a top tier preamp (something like a REF 6 or perhaps Holo Serene) to be able to really hear these differences.

I don't really care if a USB cable follows standard spec or not, it could be voiced using different shielding or conductor arrangements - because really, power supplies, whilst potentially lowering the noise floor, are just another way of voicing a component (e.g. Innuos Phoenix uses Mundorf caps, changing them would change the sound). Who cares so long as it sounds good and is still technically high performing as well? Just different approaches. Of course I'm talking ultra high-end here, were any change in the system can be heard... its both a blessing and a curse.

Anyhow, I mainly dropped back in to ask if @Rob Watts had seen the new TI ISOUSB211 chip. Very good feedback emerging on this and it could be a very nice addition to Chord DACs. I'm going to purchase the EVAL board.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #3,519 of 4,701
Who cares so long as it sounds good and is still technically high performing as well? Just different approaches.
The thing is, so called voicing in digital cables is just shaping their noise performance...
How you want to shape actuall data that the cable is carrying? Without any circuit/DSP it's impossible.

So you are just changing noise getting into your system, amount or/and frequency of this noise.

If somebody likes that it's okay. But its added "distortion" nothing more.

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #3,520 of 4,701
I only have my ears to go by...

By the way I have had the Wave Storm reference in my system before. Very good. Muon is in the same league. Which one is better? I could not tell you as I no longer have it (it was on loan).

BOTH products attempt to deal with noise, and as a result shape it, so not too much difference there. Neither is probably technically perfect (it's a cable after all), but both probably get closer to the ideal than most.

...I'm just reporting my findings. Up until the Muon I would have said that USB was seriously flawed, avoid at all costs! But Muon seems to resolve this, surpassing optical and spdif coax in my system.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #3,521 of 4,701

Im designing a battery supply with integrated charger for Dave and HMS which also makes 5vdc using 8v lead acid accu's and a linear regulator. This has none switching activity.

Thanks ,I am not using a powerbank the one I bought is "a made in China" battery powered PSU which may not be the best way to power my Qutest. But it allows me to go off -grid. And although the difference it makes compared to the wallwart smps is not night and day ,things "calm down" and acoustic instruments sound slightly fuller and richer harmonically and less digitally hard with it connected instead the wallwart stock supply option even back home.
With Qutest on its own and less than clean grid power in SE-Asia it was absolutely essential to use it.
Without it Qutest sometimes sounded almost as bad as my Hugo 1 did connected to the grid.
Pretty nasty at times. And even at home not only in Asia.
It would be interesting to audition your design. And also the super expensive linear ones some here swear by .
All I can say with the two Chord dacs I have is that the supplied in the box power options may not be the most optimal way to power them.
I have so far only auditioned Dave and TT2 with their respective stock supplies and I can not comment further than that I still harbour a suspicion that even those two could possibly be improved with external powering.,either by going off grid or linear in spite of Rob´s own takes on linear PSUs . I need to hear things myself to become convinced.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #3,522 of 4,701
The Hugo 2 is powered by it's batteries and they filter out any noise introduced b y the PSU.
I do not have a Hugo 2 but in my experience what you said only applies with Hugo 1 if it is NOT connected to the grid at all while playing.
Connected Hugo 1, could sound pretty bad in my system hard and harsh. But via battery only, good but not spectacular by more recent standards and mscaling applied.
Cheers CC

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #3,523 of 4,701
I’d not tred on hugo or TT, they are incredible and frankly the sweet spots in chords line from quality value trade offs. Just give them a great source like antipodes and your fine.

Jun 27, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #3,524 of 4,701
The last couple of weeks has been a bit crazy - I had a couple of projects to be completed before CanJam Chicago, then back to the UK to pack for a family holiday in Florida. Now I am on holiday I now have time to answer!

What is supposedly wrong with pcm DACs per se? And what exactly do people mean by pcm dac? Pcm encoding adapted for a truncated word length d to a core ?
I'd have thought a full r2r converter would have the most straightforward characteristics if it works properly.

So the distinction is between PCM or DSD DACs. But pure DSD DACs are pretty useless, as you can't do EQ or volume control digitally without converting to PCM. And anyway most DSD chips convert to PCM anyway. To get the best SQ from DSD you need to remove the huge amount of distortion and noise from the DSD, and that means conversion to PCM...

R2R can never work properly, the R2R technology is fundamentally limited.

So if one is using an Mscaler.. Dave's WTA1 is bypassed and this would then only eat up FPGA space ..and use less energy..

It might be said before.. but could WTA2 noise shaper be expanded further than 17th order and achieve even better small signal accuracy? Or was FPGA space not the limiting factor?

Offcourse HMS must always be used then or Dave would become a NOS DAC😄

Whats Dave's WTA1's usage of space in % actually?

It could be programmed as a selectable 'menu item' same as the choice of DSD+ and PCM+.

If im not mistaken this also loads some pre-stored code ..from a ROM ..im not sure here..🤔

The final noise shaper used in Dave was not limited to 17th order - going higher actually gave worse SQ performance. The situation is much more complicated than I have talked about. The limitations aren't with the FPGA but the number of elements.

@Rob Watts , do you think that the TT2 can handle both single driver speakers (on XLR, sensitivity of 94.5db) and a passive subwoofer (on RCA) at the same time?

Sure. But don't use the XLR OP's for driving the speaker.

@Rob Watts apologies if this seems off-topic, but in your FPGA implementation in the Qutest, are implementations of each different type of filter e.g. WTA2 filter 'shared', or do you have 2 separate physical copies of e.g. the WTA2 filter implementation, one for white filter & one for green? I'm assuming the latter, for performance reasons, but I don't know much about this subject. Thanks in anticipation!

For TT2, Hugo2, and Qutest the HF filter is done in the filters after WTA2, that is the filter that goes from 256FS to 2048FS. This is a multi stage IIR type filter, and the time constants are adjusted to give the HF filter. So WTA2 always stays the same.

Interesting points you raise here and I would even add that to be able to "sort the wheat from the chaff" in a really meaningful and reasonably objective way it is best to use test recordings you have either made yourself as is the case with Rob´s own recent recording or one where you have been present at the sessions.
I am aware most people do not have such direct paths to decide or judge what sounds really good or better than some other link in a reproduction chain.
But imho in the real sense and definition of the term, HIFI can only really be judged with unamplified acoustic instruments and the human voice. All else lacks a direct reference point and can only be of relative and subjective value in any comparison between different products.
I am aware this is very controversial to some here. And I am also aware that "at the end of the day" we all listen to whatever genre or music that appeals to us.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that!
Each to his or her own taste.
But HIFI to me has a VERY clear and defined reference point which also fits my own tastes in music.
Personally I am lucky to have been working as a photographer with some world class labels and orchestras and I always use some of my direct masterfiles to judge SQ. And with the introduction of Mscaler a few years ago Rob´s tech brings me closer to the real sound of acoustic instruments as I am used to hearing them both live and from sessions masters in the studio than most of the competition did.
There could be other equally accurate dacs and upsampling methods out there that I have not yet heard. But to me ,one thing is sure Rob knows what is he is doing and his recent test recording is also proof of that.
My very limited maths knowledge also leads me to suspect that he is right 2+2=4? Or am I wrong?
Cheers CC

2+2 = 4 except for people that believe their own realities and live in a fantasy world.

Absolutely I agree with unamplified music being the reality we should judge by. But - most modern concerts, and all opera I have been to, use sound reinforcement - discretely done - which IMO destroys the performance. I always go for seats as close as possible to the performers, so that the PA doesn't ruin the sound.

The Covent Garden Royal Opera House do not use the 200 odd Chord power amps to heat the concert hall...

I have a general question for Rob (and our concert-going members) which touches on M-Scaler and also Rob's experiments with recording technology:-

- why is it that (for me, anyway) classic EMI and Decca recordings from the 1960's and 70's "sound" so much better than modern recordings?

Specifically, I'm referring to the overall "ambience": the sense of being in a physical venue, rather than an anechoic chamber (i.e., the typical Deutsche Grammophon sound - which, sadly, characterises most later Karajan recordings).

For example, the other evening I was listening to some modern Chandos recordings of Richard Hickox and Sir Andrew Davis conducting Delius. Fine performances, from a respected label - but the recordings themselves gave little in the way of "depth" perception. I then switched to a classic Sir John Barbirolli recording, made in 1969 by EMI - and at once, the sound - through my newly-acquired Chord M-Scaler/DAVE combo (thank you Rob!) - was almost three-dimensional in nature (albeit with thin and screeching strings).

My assumption is that this may boil down to differing microphone techniques. We know that the EMI and Decca engineers pioneered stereo recording - using a minimum of microphones: e.g., "The Decca Tree" and occasional "outriggers". By contrast, their counterparts at Deutsche Grammophon (DGG) seemed obsessed with multi-miking, which - to my ears, at any rate -destroys the ambience, providing only discombobulated point sounds. Looking at session photos these days, it seems that multi-miking is the norm - presumably because companies are increasingly risk-averse and would rather "fix post production" using their mixing desks, rather than experiment with better microphone placement during sessions.

I didn't think that Chandos used multi-miking, and maybe the differences were more a reflection of the venue's inherently dry acoustics - but such a stark difference. Any thoughts?

Agreed. I don't know how much is down to simple techniques, or early ADCs that used good analogue anti-aliasing filters rather than the rubbish half band decimation filters that are used today. My pulse array ADC and simple recording techniques will answer that question. What you get from these pre Dolby recordings is a sense of life, speed and power - and that is certainly indicative of aliasing issues. But it's also the sound you get from lack of processing and an electronics chain that is simple and direct.

I agree with your observations ,but as I have mentioned before here, I was a bit suprised when Rob recently mentioned not having any? pure Blumlein "takes" in his collection.
Maybe because, at least on his laptop, which I had the opportunity to partly "scan through" and listen to via DAVE/BLU 2 in Singapore some years ago, he seemed to have only DECCA recordings?
But even those were enough to hear the obvious benefits of mscaling particuarly with 16/44.1 material.

Although unless I am wrong some of the late 50s and early 60s EMI recordings were Blumlein recordings?

And even Karajan whom you mention as an example of later 50-55 dB compressed, DGG recordings are indeed very multimic´d and not as open and cohererent as some of the Karajan/ Philharmonia Orchestra recordings made by EMI in the Royal Albert Hall in the late 50s and the 60s before EMI, like DGG began multimiking.

But as far as Karajan is concerned luckily for mainly "Classical Music HIFI nerds" like me, Karajan and the BPO also recorded for both DECCA and EMI again, during the 70s.
And although those are not pure Blumlein recordings his recording engineer, Wolfgang Gülich at those 70s Karajan /BPO recordings for EMI took some pride in the fact that he used only HALF the number of mics that DGG engineers ,did in those days: And the more coherent,more open sounding recordings by him are clearly audible in my system via my electrostatic speakers.
Some of those recordings like Otello and Tristan und Isolde and the late Sibelius symphonies ,are still good examples of what could actually be achieved with "no Dolby" analogue tape at the end of the 70s.
DECCA was imo, a bit hampered by DOLBY and "outriggers" in the 70s .
To me the simply mic´d "Crystal Clear" or "Sheffield Labs" Direct to Disc LPs still sound about as good as analogue recordings ever got and without the obvious dynamic range compression of early anaogue tape .
But even those early EMI and DGG LPs with 50-55db limited dynamic range is still wider DR than most popular music genres ever reach, even today!.
Cheers CC

Vinyl only ever sounded half decent with Sheffield Lab direct to disc.

No, I am not advertising for Topping here, it is more of a question.
This device is advertised as a USB galvanic isolator. It removes ground loop issues, by creating an isolated new ground, USB data lines and power are also isolated.
It is an active device (true isolator not just a filter) running on power from host USB, drawing about 20mA. The side USB-C socket, is to plug in a separate power source for those DACs that require power (Not Chord, I believe). It is full USB 2 compliant.
Here is the question:
Will it eliminate ground RF pollution that might occur using Hugo2 or Mojo2 in desktop mode? Assuming it does what it says on the tin!
It seems is does just that. Here is a lab measurement done on the device.
If it is up to the task, at its low price, it would be useful.

This looks great for Hugo 2 and Mojo 2 for desktop applications. I would order one if it was available in the UK. Also, there are measurement problems with the APx555 on USB with ground loops from the analogue oscillator creating issues that would not be present in real situations.

@Rob Watts
Did or have you ever considered using opto couplers in the coaxial signal paths of HMS and your DAC's? And if yes and not already implemented.. is there a reason to avoid it?

Could creating a separate (2 battery operated) optocoupler yield any benefits?

Thanks in advance for your response,
DIY guy Rick

Sure I used to use 100Mbs opto-isolators. But today I use isolators that use a RF carrier - these work faster with lower skew, and similar or lower coupling capacitance on all my isolations.

Car batteries are the ultimate PSU - huge dynamic currents, unlimited current, zero impedance, zero noise. And for 12v or 24v operation, no regulators are needed, which would degrade everything.

Perhaps you are right on digital cables... improving the power supply of source components could help to nullify the audible differences/performance delta between different 'Audiophile' USB cables... on the other hand, the delta might actually improve. I'll try it.

Power supply changes to qutest have minimal effect in comparison. You need to spend some serious money on a preamp to better Chord's inbuilt pre in Hugo2 etc..., if you run something like an Audio-gd preamp (e.g. Master 9 like used to own) it's just not good enough. Really, you need a top tier preamp (something like a REF 6 or perhaps Holo Serene) to be able to really hear these differences.

I don't really care if a USB cable follows standard spec or not, it could be voiced using different shielding or conductor arrangements - because really, power supplies, whilst potentially lowering the noise floor, are just another way of voicing a component (e.g. Innuos Phoenix uses Mundorf caps, changing them would change the sound). Who cares so long as it sounds good and is still technically high performing as well? Just different approaches. Of course I'm talking ultra high-end here, were any change in the system can be heard... its both a blessing and a curse.

Anyhow, I mainly dropped back in to ask if @Rob Watts had seen the new TI ISOUSB211 chip. Very good feedback emerging on this and it could be a very nice addition to Chord DACs. I'm going to purchase the EVAL board.

Thanks for that. Just looked at the data sheet - but the power dissipation is a problem at nearly 1.2W, but I guess that is at 480Mbs, something audio would never use.

But my USB isolation solution has another benefit in that the processor noise (which makes a significant SQ degradation) is eliminated by my isolation, as this noise is on the source side not the DAC side.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back