Watts Up...?
Oct 19, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #3,646 of 4,701
Sadly, a lot of spacial audio versions of tracks I've tried sound quite a bit off. I think that the 3D processing of the Audeze Mobius is far better. I've often used them for listening to music videos on Youtube, or just watching Youtube in general.

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #3,647 of 4,701
Just to illustrate this, use the palm of your hand to seal off one ear and push hard, and listen to the placement of sounds in your room.
Another simple experiment to show how ears can change perception is to just gently push your ear flaps(!) forward from behind with a finger. You get an immediate boost in treble/clarity to the sound. And then it sounds dull when you release your ears. Have often wondered why nobody has produced some ear tuning headwear to make use of this effect :D

Oct 20, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #3,648 of 4,701
Another simple experiment to show how ears can change perception is to just gently push your ear flaps(!) forward from behind with a finger. You get an immediate boost in treble/clarity to the sound. And then it sounds dull when you release your ears. Have often wondered why nobody has produced some ear tuning headwear to make use of this effect :D
Some custom shaped “wedges” to fit neatly behind the ear with various angles available,
Start a whole new discussion … “I prefer the 15 degree wedges” …… “No, no the 20 degree wedges are much more natural” …

😵‍💫😂

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #3,650 of 4,701
Nature already did...
A cupped hand gently pushing the ear forward is most effective.
Not much use for head-fiers though.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #3,651 of 4,701
I bring up filters because of all the issues Rob mentions about minimum phase and low tap length.

There's no such 'issues' when you have real life, real-time references to gauge, like many of us that tried transparency mode in the news AP Pro 2.

It is a scary 'wow' factor when you experience it and try it.

It sounds real and natural - and unlike recorded music, we have real life sounds (in real time) to reference.
Could also be that no adc-dac conversion is happening at all in that mode and that the mic's signal is just forwarded in analogue form to the amp and driver in the same ear unit.

Then it wouldnt be a fair comparison.

Can you also record and playback with those pods with that accuracy?

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #3,654 of 4,701
I wedge to differ

Oct 20, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #3,658 of 4,701
Could also be that no adc-dac conversion is happening at all in that mode and that the mic's signal is just forwarded in analogue form to the amp and driver in the same ear unit.

Then it wouldnt be a fair comparison
100% is not this.

Anybody with Airpods will already know but Simply turn off all ANC or wait for batteries to die and you will hear the effect of passive noise cancelling. The Airpods block a lot of sound

So it is the mics and ADC and DAC at play

I walked past a dude in park playing acoustic guitar, unamplified

I turned to transparency mode and took them out and was shocked

Sounds real and natural and consider the size - and minimum phase and low tap length

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #3,659 of 4,701
100% is not this.

Anybody with Airpods will already know but Simply turn off all ANC or wait for batteries to die and you will hear the effect of passive noise cancelling. The Airpods block a lot of sound

So it is the mics and ADC and DAC at play

I walked past a dude in park playing acoustic guitar, unamplified

I turned to transparency mode and took them out and was shocked

Sounds real and natural and consider the size - and minimum phase and low tap length
To think logically.. its just a unnecessary step to adc-dac for just passing through live sound from a mic to the driver in the same unit.
ANC must be off by nature for passthrough ofc. And if still used for some purpose.. a anc signal can also be mixed in with the analog one.

Thats what you notice if a battery dies out.. the internal amp wont work either then

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #3,660 of 4,701
To think logically..

Yes and thinking logically, when battery dies, you notice the passive noise isolation of the earbuds (like any).

It's impossible to miss the sound quality effects of passive noise isolation :wink:

Then when you turn on transparency mode, it is like nothing in your ears

Transparency mode = mics + whatever the passive isolation misses + ADC + DAC. In real-time, not skipping a beat.

Transparency mode does NOT equal full pass through - there are things blocking your ear canals !!

Watch the video above and listen to Currawong's description. It is the same description millions of people experience. The Darko video too.

Anyway, you will need to try it. No point us typing if you've never experienced it.

The only reason I bring it up is because it is so transparent - yet minimum phase and short tap length - and sounds so natural.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back