WAV to MP3
Feb 5, 2014 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

vipervick

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

What is the best (preferred) way to convert WAV to MP3? Say I buy a high-res WAV from HDtracks? FLAC won't work on my iPod, so that's out.

I listen to WAV on my computer (Schiit Modi/Magni to Alpha Dogs) and CBR 320 MP3 on my iPod. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 47
It shouldn't be much different.  WAV files are basically just CD tracks.

But why not ALAC?

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 47
dbpoweramp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/)

I use it for all my transcoding.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 47
Foobar2000 + ipod plugin will do all of this on the fly.

No need to use mp3gain since the ipod plugin can convert replaygain tags to soundcheck tags automatically when syncing your music.

Also move away from WAV files to a more error robust lossless format, FLAC, ALAC or WAVPACK.

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 47
I just tried using Foobar, the Convert command. Worked pretty well and I used LAME since I already use it for EAC when ripping cd's.

Thanks all.

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 47
  Hi all,

What is the best (preferred) way to convert WAV to MP3? Say I buy a high-res WAV from HDtracks? FLAC won't work on my iPod, so that's out.

I listen to WAV on my computer (Schiit Modi/Magni to Alpha Dogs) and CBR 320 MP3 on my iPod. 

You may Apple Lossless (iTunes built-in) to reduce the file size without losing quality (FLAC is great, but as you already know, it does not play in your iPod). It will be able to reduce .WAV file size to about 50% in average.

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 47
  Use Apple Lossless (iTunes built-in) to reduce your files without losing quality. It will be able to reduce .WAV file size to about 50% in average.

the comparision is not needed, all lossless formats should sound the same, and FLAC, ALAC and APE are all accepatable formats that should be smaller in file size than WAVs allowing you greater storage space, use which ever best works with all of your devices  

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 47
Also move away from WAV files to a more error robust lossless format, FLAC, ALAC or WAVPACK.

What's the problem with WAV? I'm using WAV all the time and don't seem to have any problem with it, but if there's any chance of pending disaster I would like to know about it..

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 47

What's the problem with WAV? I'm using WAV all the time and don't seem to have any problem with it, but if there's any chance of pending disaster I would like to know about it..

ITS BIG, flac offers the same audio quality with a greatly reduced size lol, wavs are just needlessly large 

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 47
  ITS BIG, flac offers the same audio quality with a greatly reduced size lol, wavs are just needlessly large 

It does bother me a bit that they took up so much space. My 150 albums takes 110 GB of space, and none of them are HD. All 16/44.1.

Apart from that, I presume WAV is not a problematic codec?

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 47

It does bother me a bit that they took up so much space. My 150 albums takes 110 GB of space, and none of them are HD. All 16/44.1.

Apart from that, I presume WAV is not a problematic codec?

nope it's just big 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back