Weak link in my set up
Jan 7, 2017 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

skillfulperson

New Head-Fier
I've fairly recently got into turntable audio, and in the process for sorting a set up I went and upgraded my pc audio set up too. I was wondering what would be the logical next upgrade / is there any glaring weak links in my set up.

Currently, have an Audio Technica LP 120 with an AT440MLB stylus running into a Schiit Sys, then into a Magni 2 Uber. Then I've got my PC running into a Modi 2 Uber then into the Sys then into the magni.

Then for my outputs I have a set of harman kardon soundsticks II on the preamp out, and use HD558s and Sennheiser momentums as headphones.

My first thought would be to add an external phono preamp to bypass the LP120s internal one or get some better speakers or headphones as i've noticed my HD558s sounds significantly better than my speakers, of which I do use more often, unfortunately, as I usually use them while I'm doing other tasks. However, I have had the soundsticks for about 7 years now.

I'm looking to spend around £250(300 dollars) and am willing to go second hand, as I have had good bargains in the past (LP120 for £60 without a headshell :p)

So far phono amp Hagerman Bugle 2 and headphones HD650s have caught my eye for great bang for buck. I would love to hear peoples' suggestions, though, especially when it comes to higher quality speakers. I do love the form factor of the Soundsticks, and having a sub is a nice feature too. 

I've already invested in some minor upgrades, like a cork slipmat, some higher quality RCA cables, and USB A cable.

I generally listen to rock and metal music in my smallish bedroom, if that influences it too much :)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back