Weiss Engineering DAC50x (DAC501 and DAC502) Review
Mar 19, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #347 of 381
Quick question: is there a way to turn off the display on the Weiss so that it is not glowing all the time, when not needed? (I have not had time to read the whole manual yet!)

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #348 of 381
Sorry one more question. I’m confused what’s the difference between 501 and 502? Xlr out? Which has which?

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #349 of 381
Quick question: is there a way to turn off the display on the Weiss so that it is not glowing all the time, when not needed? (I have not had time to read the whole manual yet!)
The display brightness can be set via the touchscreen. Two different brightnesses, one for active, one for passive. It cannot be turned fully off though.

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #352 of 381
Yes I found the sound room in van last night. Couple retailers in Windsor, one in mtl. found a toronto but lost the bookmark. any rate just at the info gathering faze

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #353 of 381
Yes I found the sound room in van last night. Couple retailers in Windsor, one in mtl. found a toronto but lost the bookmark. any rate just at the info gathering faze
When I heard the 501 I expected to be blown away by it, for C$13k I wasn't. It was connected to very hi end equipment - Wilson speakers, Dan D’Agostino pre/power amps. I prefer more meat on the bone.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #354 of 381
More meat is always good

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #355 of 381
More meat is always good
Too much meat and you get fat which is bad.

I am obviously talking about audio, just to be clear 😂

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #356 of 381
I've not had that problem with my system.

I did add a Cayin HA-300B MKII into my system in September 2023. I've also upgraded to a really fantastic pair of Elrog ER300B-Mo output tubes. The Elrog 300Bs are known to deliver a mighty and powerful sound that is also very dynamic and linear. A good 300B amp generally is known for a bold sound. The German Elrogs take it to another level. Add in high quality Cardas clear reflection XLR cable(100% copper) from the Weiss DAC501-4Ch into the Cayin and I get a very quick and fast yet highly resolving sound with plenty of gravitas.

Headphones are OG Focal Utopia.

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #357 of 381
I've not had that problem with my system.

I did add a Cayin HA-300B MKII into my system in September 2023. I've also upgraded to a really fantastic pair of Elrog ER300B-Mo output tubes. The Elrog 300Bs are known to deliver a mighty and powerful sound that is also very dynamic and linear. A good 300B amp generally is known for a bold sound. The German Elrogs take it to another level. Add in high quality Cardas clear reflection XLR cable(100% copper) from the Weiss DAC501-4Ch into the Cayin and I get a very quick and fast yet highly resolving sound with plenty of gravitas.

Headphones are OG Focal Utopia.
A great music server going in and a great tube amp going out ( in my case wa33EE) ( i upgraded to ta 274B, Kr 2a3, and we 548, scales the dac and hp nicely. Of course im looking for good dynamics, range for the meat on the bone, and transparency for accuracy( arn't they all). from TT you got to consider dave competition levels. Im not adverse to musicality or some warmth in mids, i have hd800S at present which is super fast, wide, and has special sauce for mids so.... I turned onto weiss for the engineering not so much for DSP but ill try whatever, and price, its less than dave. or we go upstairs from dave into the heady highs of MSB, formula, la scala . course there's all these cheap R2R dacs at about a grand cad, that measure well. folks try em and some say dave, what's the difference... but i digress, not picking on dave....course im just jaw boning

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #358 of 381
Just wondering if anyone drives their headphones direct from the Helios or find it is better to use a headphone amplifier? It's not clear from the documentation whether the design is meant to provide for that or for output to a headphone amplifier. I have Focal Utopias which are 80 ohm and 104dB SPL / 1mW @ 1kHz sensitivity, so should not be too difficult. I imagine the 501/502 has a similar output capability to the Helios.

Mar 20, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #359 of 381
The Helios does not have a direct headphone jack like the 501 and 502 do. There is an attachment you can buy from Weiss to convert the balanced output jacks on the Helios to a balanced headphone out: I think it's $495 extra.

I personally use the balanced out from the Helios to a Mjolnir Audio Carbon CC amp for my Stax gear.

When I compared the headphone jack of my 501 to a separate headphone amp (the Audio Technica AT-HA5050H), I preferred the external amp. I thought the 501's headphone out was usable in a pinch but wasn't as fleshed out as a separate headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back