Wells Audio - Impressions & Questions
Dec 1, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #466 of 637
Has anyone here used a Dragon to drive an Audeze LCD4? I would love to hear your comments on the experience. Thanks.
Can’t speak to LCD-4, but it drives my HE6SE to higher than satisfactory levels and that headphone is notorious for its amping requirements. I even compared it back-to-back with another popular brand’s >$2000 headphone amp (sorry, won’t name it here) and the Dragon obviously drove the HE6SE better.

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #469 of 637
Just a couple of pics of the rough first assembly of the new OTL headphone amp. Everything seems to fit and wired everything up. It works tight out of the box. I just finished it very late on Saturday evening so it could use some fine tuning. It still needs the faceplate and it has a slight ground loop but it is the most detailed and dynamic OTL I have ever experienced.
Prototype looks great. When will it be released? Will there be a level 3, or does it stop at 2?

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #470 of 637
Curious Headtrip III Level II against tubes amp like WA33 EE or another ten plus kilo buck tube amp.

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #471 of 637
Prototype looks great. When will it be released? Will there be a level 3, or does it stop at 2?
The OTL goes into production next week. There is currently a Level I and a Level II. There should be a Level III at some point, I just have to settle on a package of improvements to call it a Level II. As with almost everything I build these will have the ability to be upgraded at any time.

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #472 of 637
Curious Headtrip III Level II against tubes amp like WA33 EE or another ten plus kilo buck tube amp.
Tube amps have an inherent sonic beauty to them but if I'm being honest I prefer the Headtrips in the long run. Long after I have tired of the tube colorations I am still reveling in the sonic strengths of the Headtrips (including tonal beauty to match nearly any tube amp). I am building some of the greatest tube headphone amps on the planet but when all is said and done I keep returning to the Headtrips.

Dec 29, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #473 of 637
Tube amps have an inherent sonic beauty to them but if I'm being honest I prefer the Headtrips in the long run. Long after I have tired of the tube colorations I am still reveling in the sonic strengths of the Headtrips (including tonal beauty to match nearly any tube amp). I am building some of the greatest tube headphone amps on the planet but when all is said and done I keep returning to the Headtrips.

For $15000 I'm curious what makes this amp priced so high for an solid state headphone amp.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #476 of 637
Exactly. Bibacord sells AES cables for ~$2k USD (per 3 feet). The Riviera headphone AMP (solid state) is equally as expensive.

No need to turn this otherwise great thread into a discussion or justification about dollar / values.

Jeff is one of the very few remaining craftsmen in this industry. He hand builds his gear using top tier components throughout the build.

There are many other heaphone/amp merchants at lower price points - you just have to be willing to sacrifice sound quality :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #477 of 637
Never listened to the Headtrip, though I visited Jeff a few times and had it on my mind. Frankly, I was a bit nervous I'd like it too much, so to keep myself on the straight and narrow, kept repeating to myself "Milo, Milo, Milo...." 😅 It worked, and I'm more than happy with it. Do wonder, though, how it stacks up against the Headtrip.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #478 of 637
I don't mean to spark a war here, I'm just curious because not many solid state headphone amp this expensive. I think Headtrip III is the only one in the market priced at $15000, the closes one is Riviera AFC10 at $13500. Being the most expensive SS amp it would be nice to have comparison reviews against other headphone amp in this price bracket.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #479 of 637
What makes that JPS Labs cable you have for your 1266 priced at $2,500?
Yeah I know, there's more and many expensives cable out there. But it's uncommon for solid state headphone amp priced at $15000, I think Headtrip is the only one (as far as I know), hence my curiosity.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #480 of 637
I don't mean to spark a war here, I'm just curious because not many solid state headphone amp this expensive. I think Headtrip III is the only one in the market priced at $15000, the closes one is Riviera AFC10 at $13500. Being the most expensive SS amp it would be nice to have comparison reviews against other headphone amp in this price bracket.

You're not sparking any war - don't over weight the value of your post. You're just bored.

Here is a Headtrip review -->

Users who are viewing this thread

Back