Westerville Headphone meet Impressions and photo drop.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 17
IMG_9366.jpg
IMG_9368.jpg
IMG_9374.jpg
IMG_9369.jpg
1636905293262.png
IMG_9370.jpg
IMG_9371.jpg
IMG_9372.jpg
IMG_9373.jpg
IMG_9375.jpg
IMG_9377.jpg
IMG_9378.jpg
IMG_9379.jpg
IMG_9380.jpg
IMG_9382.jpg
IMG_9385.jpg
IMG_9386.jpg
IMG_9391.jpg
IMG_9392.jpg
IMG_9393.jpg
IMG_9395.jpg
IMG_9394.jpg
IMG_9397.jpg
IMG_9398.jpg
IMG_9399.jpg

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 17
This looks awesome, wish I could have made it, but was just unfortunate timing with a previously planned trip. If any future Ohio area meets happen, would love to contribute, especially letting people test out my EC Studio Jr since it's more of a rarity.

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks @lord_tris for hosting the meet, those pictures look amazing!

Something I thought very impressive and here are my two cents.

First is my first experience with Vinyl, the Rega P2 with some of the limited edition album definitely sounds great. The Cowboy bebop OST feels more alive and organic. Certainly if we talking about the technical terms it is not the best but it is just so attractive, especially the bass is bouncy. I kink get why people start getting back to the turntable more and more. I am so tentative to jump down another rabbit hole though.

Second is the Audio-GD HE9. I was really surprised by its size at minimum Lol. It leans a bit towards warm side and had enough power for almost all the headphone at the meeting but the HE6. If you had the space and want to find a decent head amp you should seriously consider this one.

Last is the Sundara headphone, definitely a very good entry point planner phones. You need to go way beyond the price point to find much better sound. It requires merely you cellphone to sound very good. If you want a step up the Magnius can give it the power to expand sound stage and go deep in to the bass.

Always happy to see some CD-T and BHSE love! What tubes were running in that?
The tubes are Mullard EL34 XF2 with OO Getter.

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks @lord_tris for hosting! I really enjoyed this meet and there was a wide variety of equipment for such a small number of people. Some highlights for me:

• The 007 and 009 sounded out of this world. I'm still not sure which I would pick if I could only choose one. A bit different sound signatures but I really liked them both.
  • My first time hearing Abyss headphones, very impressed with the sound quality of both models.
  • Hearing my Clear on a good tube amp.
  • Getting a fresh perspective by discussing with a few people who had never experienced high-end headphones. In many cases I thought their impressions were spot on.
  • Bonus car show in the garage.

Looking forward to the next one!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 17
I didn’t realize how much I missed going to these. It was fantastic to get to see old friends and make some cool new ones too. Also nice to re-evaluate some old favs and listen to some new cans and amps that had come out since the last time I made it to a meet. I have a few thoughts, so apologies in advance for anyone reading on mobile.

• The Stax 009 is still an incredible headphone that is an absolute endgame experience. That said, after listening to some of the other monsters at the house that day, it didn’t floor me like it did all those years ago the first time I heard it. Still one of the best I’ve ever heard, but I don’t think I’ll ever go down that road.
  • What. The heck. Is the Abyss? This one is legit the biggest surprise. I’m not the most golden-eared individual, but these legitimately blurred the line between the sound of a high-quality recording and live music for me. The one thing I keep coming back to is that I listened to a salsa song I know well and the bongos have never sounded more real. Like…not even the 009s could make the bongos sound as good as the Abyss did. It was the weirdest thing to wear on my head, but the way it made me feel listening to it is probably one of the biggest shocks I’ve ever had at a meet, on par with the first time I ever listened to the HD800. Absolutely out of this world, would consider owning if I could figure out how to make them comfortable.
  • The second biggest surprise was that I’ve completely changed my opinion on Hifiman. I was always kind of meh on them. The HE-400 and 560 were fine and the RE-400 was fine, but never really wowed me. The Sundara, though…wow, what a gem. I’m floored at how good it sounds for the price. I’d go so far as to say it’s a genuine contender to the HD600 series as a strong rec for headphone newcomers and punches well above its price point. Wish I could have had more time to try it with different amps or do a head to head between it and an HD650.
  • Hifiman continued: the other surprise, and me willingly eating crow, is that I misjudged the HE-6 all those years ago. It was one of the first high-end headphones I ever listened to, and even out of a speaker amp back then, it didn’t do a thing for me. I was genuinely disappointed. This time, even out of the Master 9, which only lets it do maybe half of what it can do, the HE-6 really and truly spoke to me. It impressed me enough that I’m putting one on my short list and making ‘listen to a 100% HE-6’ an item on my audiophile bucket list. I finally understand why so many people gush about this thing and why so many chase the holy grail of the perfect amplification for this hungry headphone.
  • Quick thoughts to wrap up: I still love how my LCD-2 and Liquid Carbon sound even after auditioning all this other amazing gear, Fostex remains an underappreciated brand that I really enjoy, the Schiit Magnius is an excellent little amp but I’d pass on the Modius for a different DAC, the Chord Mojo is a tiny beast and now I guess I need to get one (and better closed back cans for travel because it does not pair well with the Beyer dt1350 I have), and I’m making it a personal goal to have an HD800 before the next meetup because this is the first one I go to where one wasn’t present and that just feels wrong.
Hope to see you all again next time!

Nov 16, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 17
Thanks to @lord_tris and @First Gen Hun for opening up their home to host this meet . Val the charcuterie board was very nice indeed and for me as a tomato lover I just loved the selection of them it was damn tasty thank you.
As with most meets I spend too much time talking and not much listening as I did want to hear the Magnius and the Glodies and the vinyl setup maybe next time as I hope there will be as it was a good time for me.
The other fun thing was headphone newbies as how fortunate where they to have the chance to listen to the Stax 009.007,AB-1266.Diana V2, ZMF Verite ,HD-6XX,HD-58X,SPH-9500,M50X,Grado 325,T50rp,TR-X00,Focal Clears, HE-500’s, HE-6,HE-6seV2,Sundra,Meze 99 Classics and maybe a few I missed but damn .

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 17
I didn’t realize how much I missed going to these. It was fantastic to get to see old friends and make some cool new ones too. Also nice to re-evaluate some old favs and listen to some new cans and amps that had come out since the last time I made it to a meet. I have a few thoughts, so apologies in advance for anyone reading on mobile.

• The Stax 009 is still an incredible headphone that is an absolute endgame experience. That said, after listening to some of the other monsters at the house that day, it didn’t floor me like it did all those years ago the first time I heard it. Still one of the best I’ve ever heard, but I don’t think I’ll ever go down that road.
  • What. The heck. Is the Abyss? This one is legit the biggest surprise. I’m not the most golden-eared individual, but these legitimately blurred the line between the sound of a high-quality recording and live music for me. The one thing I keep coming back to is that I listened to a salsa song I know well and the bongos have never sounded more real. Like…not even the 009s could make the bongos sound as good as the Abyss did. It was the weirdest thing to wear on my head, but the way it made me feel listening to it is probably one of the biggest shocks I’ve ever had at a meet, on par with the first time I ever listened to the HD800. Absolutely out of this world, would consider owning if I could figure out how to make them comfortable.
  • The second biggest surprise was that I’ve completely changed my opinion on Hifiman. I was always kind of meh on them. The HE-400 and 560 were fine and the RE-400 was fine, but never really wowed me. The Sundara, though…wow, what a gem. I’m floored at how good it sounds for the price. I’d go so far as to say it’s a genuine contender to the HD600 series as a strong rec for headphone newcomers and punches well above its price point. Wish I could have had more time to try it with different amps or do a head to head between it and an HD650.
  • Hifiman continued: the other surprise, and me willingly eating crow, is that I misjudged the HE-6 all those years ago. It was one of the first high-end headphones I ever listened to, and even out of a speaker amp back then, it didn’t do a thing for me. I was genuinely disappointed. This time, even out of the Master 9, which only lets it do maybe half of what it can do, the HE-6 really and truly spoke to me. It impressed me enough that I’m putting one on my short list and making ‘listen to a 100% HE-6’ an item on my audiophile bucket list. I finally understand why so many people gush about this thing and why so many chase the holy grail of the perfect amplification for this hungry headphone.
  • Quick thoughts to wrap up: I still love how my LCD-2 and Liquid Carbon sound even after auditioning all this other amazing gear, Fostex remains an underappreciated brand that I really enjoy, the Schiit Magnius is an excellent little amp but I’d pass on the Modius for a different DAC, the Chord Mojo is a tiny beast and now I guess I need to get one (and better closed back cans for travel because it does not pair well with the Beyer dt1350 I have), and I’m making it a personal goal to have an HD800 before the next meetup because this is the first one I go to where one wasn’t present and that just feels wrong.
Hope to see you all again next time!
Yes the AB-1266 Abyss I think are definitely special. I agree the Sundara’s and the HE-6 are also definitely worth a listen. I thought the HD-800S were going to be there or I would have brought my my HE-800’s sorry.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 17
I really enjoyed seeing new people and hosting small meet like this has always been fun for my wife and I.

Abyss..abyss..aaaabbbyyyssss. LOL well those are some headphones to say the least. I am not sure how to even go about properly explaining how they sound. Blissful, great tonality, warmth, detail.. I was torn a bit but I think I like the Dianas a bit better then the 1266. I mean i will take either but for me having a coat hanger one my head was weird :wink:

ZMF those are also amazing. timbre for these was great i only got about 2 songs on them but man they sounded great.

Heart was stolen with the Sundara. 350ish new for something slamming 1000+ headphones in the face. I think I need a bit of time the LCD X and Sundara see if the X can edge these out.

GRRRRR I didnt get to hear the 007/009 Blue Hawaii setup. need more of that Leon pleaaase come back next meet.

I am so far not a huge fan of Focal though I have only heard the Clears. I did only hear about half song though so not super fair to make a judgment on them yet.

Though the DC Aeon open 2 those I like a lot, again only got 1 song with them but I can see why people like these a lot.

I am pleased that the couple of people that could hear my vinyl setup was happy with the sound. thank your!!

Buke9 I should have the medium schiit stack for a bit so you will be able to hear the Magnius if you dont before next meet.

Dec 17, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 17
It has been only a month since this event and I have already bought a new pair of heaphones and new dac and neither of them is one I listened to at the meet, but I’m remembering the enjoyment of exploring different sounds and enjoying the journey. I’ll be curious to talk to you all again next time and see what’s changed in everyone’s rig in the interim. Thanks for being such a rad bunch and hope to see you all again in 2022!

Dec 17, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 17
It has been only a month since this event and I have already bought a new pair of heaphones and new dac and neither of them is one I listened to at the meet, but I’m remembering the enjoyment of exploring different sounds and enjoying the journey. I’ll be curious to talk to you all again next time and see what’s changed in everyone’s rig in the interim. Thanks for being such a rad bunch and hope to see you all again in 2022!
[/QUOTE
Damn you have to let us know the way you went.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back