Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,676 of 5,568
So, I went to the Westone site and Comply site, ordered me some tips, see how they sound when they come. In the meantime, found a pair of Shure tips (must be those "olives" I always read about), large, put them on (not too many tips fit these Westones), fell asleep listening to them last night. Much better. Bass back (still not like Sony or Senn, but not anemic, either).

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #3,677 of 5,568
Quote:
KenB,

You can try Comply Tx-100 with earwax guard, that fits my Westone W4 perfectly.

I was responding to another post. I am totally enthralled with the Comply P-100 series - medium and just ordered a 5-pack (black). 

Ken

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #3,678 of 5,568
Never quite gotten along with the regular Comply tips...saw one I hadn't seen before on their site, TSX-100, ordered, seems a cross between foamies and roung tips, curious, should be here in a day or so.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #3,679 of 5,568
Quote:
Never quite gotten along with the regular Comply tips...saw one I hadn't seen before on their site, TSX-100, ordered, seems a cross between foamies and roung tips, curious, should be here in a day or so.

TSX-100 seems to be the Comply Foam model that is used by Logitech UE 700 series ?

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #3,681 of 5,568

Doesn't the X just mean it has the "wax guard" between you and the driver..... :frowning2:

Seems it would be the regular TS series (round version) with wax guard screen in it.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #3,682 of 5,568
True, there is a TS, which is the round version without wax guard. Haven't looked at Comply site in a while, wasn't aware of either spherical tip before (maybe I just missed them, but I'm used to those awful cylindrical foamies), they market them as "comfort", which sounds good to me. I'll post what I think of them when they come.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #3,683 of 5,568
For my ears, I disagree on the Comply. I find these to be the worse of the good foamies I've used (shure olives being the best). Comply tips are very comfortable and isolate well but I haven't been able to find a variety that doesn't negatively affect the FR. The best tips I've used with the W4R are hands down the Shure or Ety Triple flanges, but they never disapear in your ears and they are a pain to remove and re-insert without causing major irritation from all the rubbing.

That being said, I got tired of messing with tips and finally went out and ordered a pair of silicone UM56.

I've had the W4R for a year now. Last year, I told myself that come November I would either decide between (1) keeping the W4R and getting custom tips or (2) selling them and going for a BF sale jh13/16 . . Maybe next year. 
beyersmile.png

Stay Observation: Getting the ear molds was kind of fun. Is this the isolation you would get with a full custom?

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #3,684 of 5,568
Normally, your mold is made of "soft" silicone, while the final customs comes with "hard" silicone. The mold actually isolate more than the final  customs. However, some companies, say Westone, provides a option to use soft tips in the customs, those tips will slightly change the shape after insertion into your ear canal, which will improve the isolation of the customs.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #3,685 of 5,568
True, there is a TS, which is the round version without wax guard. Haven't looked at Comply site in a while, wasn't aware of either spherical tip before (maybe I just missed them, but I'm used to those awful cylindrical foamies), they market them as "comfort", which sounds good to me. I'll post what I think of them when they come.

There are pictures in that link in my sig modding the W4 to take the 400 size Ts tips. Click the "W4 Adapter Mod" linky.....

I find them much easier to use and less sound restrictive for sure. Much easier to insert. However I currently use a biflange tip.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #3,686 of 5,568
Quote:
Before you make the expenditure for customs, give the Comply's a try. My W4's came with 3 sets of P-100's: small short, small narrow/thin, and tall medium (those are not the official descriptions). I tried each of them and settled on the widest/tallest combination which, I believe, is the "P-100 Medium" model. I was completely leery of the Comply's at first; but, due to the overwhelming support they receive from other Head-Fi'ers, I decided to give them a whirl. I am now an advocate! 

Let us know how they work out for you...

Ken

Thanks for the feedback, pretty sure I tried those as they came with the W4R, and none of them seemed to fit, but will double-check.

Tried my Shure Olive (large) again, and really annoying that its just one ear that is a bit loose. Only marginal too. Don't suppose there's any way of getting around that?

So just need something just a bit wider than the Olives....

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #3,687 of 5,568
Quote:
I just received a set of Westone 4 ear buds having taken advantage of a "Black Friday" deal from Earphone Solutions (30% discount!). 
etysmile.gif
  They are replacing Shure E4C's purchased back in 2005 (based on Head-Fi recommendations at the time) and which have served me well. 

[SNIPPED]

Based on another recommendation from Head-Fi, I just ordered a package of 3 MEElectronics triple-flange tips (large black; $5.99 + shipping). I'll report on my experiences with them once they arrive and I have tested them. 

Ken

Just wanted to report that the MEElectronics triple-flange tips finally arrived only to discover that they DO NOT fit the Westone 4 earbuds! I wrote to the company and they promptly responded that they have done no testing on Westone products and, furthermore, the triple-flange's only come in one inner diameter. They advised that some people make narrow posts thicker by applying a silicone stalk layer thus building up the diameter. Seems like too much work to me and, since I have subsequently switched to the Comply P-100 Mediums, I'm just gonna just toss them in with the rest of my burgeoning tip collection. This experiment only cost $6, but I wanted to post an alert before others make the same mistake. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #3,688 of 5,568
I have a fairly substantial bag of tips from all sorts of headphones, very few fit the Westone 4's

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #3,689 of 5,568
Quote:
Just wanted to report that the MEElectronics triple-flange tips finally arrived only to discover that they DO NOT fit the Westone 4 earbuds! I wrote to the company and they promptly responded that they have done no testing on Westone products and, furthermore, the triple-flange's only come in one inner diameter. They advised that some people make narrow posts thicker by applying a silicone stalk layer thus building up the diameter. Seems like too much work to me and, since I have subsequently switched to the Comply P-100 Mediums, I'm just gonna just toss them in with the rest of my burgeoning tip collection. This experiment only cost $6, but I wanted to post an alert before others make the same mistake. 

I find Meelectronics stock tips to be pretty terrible. They use much thinner plastic then most of the established brands. The only meelec I still use regularly is the a151 (the best IEM they ever made when taking sound AND build quality into consideration). For the a151 I either use Sony hybrids on Monster triple flanges (the ones that come with the turbine models). The Monster triple flanges are much better quality then the Meelec... I just don't were u can get replacements--maybe ebay?.

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, pretty sure I tried those as they came with the W4R, and none of them seemed to fit, but will double-check.

Tried my Shure Olive (large) again, and really annoying that its just one ear that is a bit loose. Only marginal too. Don't suppose there's any way of getting around that?

So just need something just a bit wider than the Olives....

Try the monster super tips (though you'd need a spacer for the w4). Those come is tiny to king kong size wideness. The foam ones are similar to an olive with a harder exterior shell.

-- Still waiting patiently for my UM56 to arrive 
etysmile.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #3,690 of 5,568
OK, so I listened with the Comply's,,,not bad, but still not there yet, I don't think. Ordered from Westone as well, those tips  will hopefully hit the spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back