Westone UM1 - cracking it open for rewiring
Sep 13, 2011 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

almog

New Head-Fier
Hi, my UM1 have some wire issues and since they're out of warranty, I though it'd be a good opportunity for a noob like me to start his way into the realm of DIYing.

I found enough information about general rewiring, soldering, etc.
However I could find none regarding the UM1 and it's self-proclaimed Impermeable solid plastic casing.
It seems like the two parts of earpiece are glued together with thin layer of epoxy but I'm not sure about that.

What do you thin would be a good way to (carefully) crack it open?
Any other tips regarding the UM1 are welcomed.

Thank you,
Almog

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 3
I wouldn't be very surprised if they had ultrasonically welded the plastic half shells together, or solvent welded them. Either way, or if another I doubt you'll get into them very easily.

That is also why I always get removable cables on IEMs.

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 3
Lol, when I contacted them to see if the warranty covers such wiring issues, they claimed that they can replaced the cable but since it is out of warranty by now it'd cost $30 not including shipping abroad.
That's why I assumed there must be some way to open them without breaking anything but still I have no idea how.

If I won't make it in, I could just solder the molded earpieces cables to the new wire (the issue is in the "Y split" part), but that would feel really dirty :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back