Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #1,442 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the CK-7's, but if harshness is an issue I'd go for the UM3X instead of the W3's.

x 2 - I think with metal or 'hard' rock the W3's can be quite fatiguing, the higher the volume the more fatiguing, and even more so if you're sensitive to treble.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #1,444 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x 2 - I think with metal or 'hard' rock the W3's can be quite fatiguing, the higher the volume the more fatiguing, and even more so if you're sensitive to treble.

it's not quite the "treble" itself
i think it is the mids, it annoys me with fast guitar riffs, they sound too bright and harsh(master of puppets and creeping death for example, sound like low-fi piece of shi*) hopefully this review can help you guys understand better
Audio-Technica ATH-CK7 Canal Headphones

anyways, my shp805's are gods compared to the ck7's

and sorry about my noobness, but i don't have much experience with different headphones, and 300usd is a big step, and since i made such a big mistake with the ck7 i want to be really careful this time hehe

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #1,445 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find them crazy source dependant, unamped out of my ipod they really are rather good, certainly IE8 and 530 competition but still none of them are better than each other, just sideways steps. the 8 and 530 are much more stable, they sound more of less the same amped or not whereas the um3 changes dramatically how it sounds

the only difference of significance id say would be the isolation. the westones isolate way better than the IE8 does

Perhaps you should try a better amp. Come on now, E3 & E5? You cannot be serious.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #1,446 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you guys think um3x performs well for metal? or should i just go for w3?
i do listen to metallica(specially) and megadeth mostly
i also like many kinds of music(pop(u2), rock, classical) but it is a MUST to perform well with metallica and alikes

if it helps for comparison purposes, i have a ath-ck7, and it is just WAY too harsh for my ears, i have to equalize to something like -6 db on the 4~8k range, this thing, has no hope for me :x i even thought it was defective

I had the ck7 for awhile and threw them away. They started off fantastic for sub $100 ear phones, but after burn-in, they were awful; the mids became too sweet and the bass ended up flabby. The treble just burned off to oblivion and felt like distorting tweeters. IMO, the UM3X is just superior in ever way, but then again, probably most IEMs in that price range would be a good upgrade. UM3X feels a little more congested than what I want, but I don't find them harsh and exaggerated in any way.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #1,447 of 4,413
Well here goes.

I will either go for the Westone 3's or the Um3x.. don't know yet..

As I am not going to spend more than the 100 hours I have reading about them, I all ask this:

Primary devise would be an iPhone- do I need an amp or would the recommendation to go with an amp? If so I can't spend to much on one as already blowing my bank ( a kid on the way..so can't use to much now) on the Westone's...

headphones:

I will use them for all sorts of music, from classical to Rap and back.

Use will primarily consist of the following:

walking for 2-3 hours now and then
walking back and from work, 20 min each way
home ( as I can't get the full size headphones when getting these. money..)

I am not a musician nor have I really had any good in ear before, just the 20 dollar type..

What would the recommendation be?

Reason I ask is that I feel that the "music manic" would go for the Um3x and the more "standard user" would go for the retail version...

taste is like your bum, it's split... but had to tell which side the users are here sometimes, as you all have a taste, I just can't tell if you're to picky and spend 30% or more from the pay check on hifi a month or you just like a good set of headphones as there is a difference...
dt880smile.png

Hope you get the humour or I need to get a new nick...

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #1,448 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by maceto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well here goes.

I will either go for the Westone 3's or the Um3x.. don't know yet..

As I am not going to spend more than the 100 hours I have reading about them, I all ask this:

Primary devise would be an iPhone- do I need an amp or would the recommendation to go with an amp? If so I can't spend to much on one as already blowing my bank ( a kid on the way..so can't use to much now) on the Westone's...

headphones:

I will use them for all sorts of music, from classical to Rap and back.

Use will primarily consist of the following:

walking for 2-3 hours now and then
walking back and from work, 20 min each way
home ( as I can't get the full size headphones when getting these. money..)

I am not a musician nor have I really had any good in ear before, just the 20 dollar type..

What would the recommendation be?

Reason I ask is that I feel that the "music manic" would go for the Um3x and the more "standard user" would go for the retail version...

taste is like your bum, it's split... but had to tell which side the users are here sometimes, as you all have a taste, I just can't tell if you're to picky and spend 30% or more from the pay check on hifi a month or you just like a good set of headphones as there is a difference...
dt880smile.png

Hope you get the humour or I need to get a new nick...

My favourite (after my custom ES3X) is the UM3X, but considering your circumstances I'd advice against getting an IEM for walking as it could be dangerous - you need to be able to hear some outside noise, and the UM3X and similar types of IEM's isolate far too much to be used out in the street.

Also, if you're not too serious about audio, I think you can still get some great sound -- way better than your current $20 earbuds -- and get something in the region of $50 - $150 like the Sony EX90 (or same model but newer EX500), Sennheiser CX95, Nuforce NE-7 or Phonak Audeo. If you get the Sony's (which I've had for a long time, sounding great and not isolating that much) make sure they are NOT fakes, ie get them from Amazon or an authorised dealer. This particular Sony model has sold very well and there's lots of fakes out there. Similar thing goes for Sennheiser IEM's, though not sure there's fake CX95's out there, but there certainly ARE other Senns fakes.

I'd still strongly advise against using any sort of earphones out in the street.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #1,449 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you should try a better amp. Come on now, E3 & E5? You cannot be serious.

erm actually ive never used either fiio with the um3. i have however used the icon mobile. i know it not the best amp in the world but its about the most suitable shape and has a dac.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #1,450 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favourite (after my custom ES3X) is the UM3X, but considering your circumstances I'd advice against getting an IEM for walking as it could be dangerous - you need to be able to hear some outside noise, and the UM3X and similar types of IEM's isolate far too much to be used out in the street.

Also, if you're not too serious about audio, I think you can still get some great sound -- way better than your current $20 earbuds -- and get something in the region of $50 - $150 like the Sony EX90 (or same model but newer EX500), Sennheiser CX95, Nuforce NE-7 or Phonak Audeo. If you get the Sony's (which I've had for a long time, sounding great and not isolating that much) make sure they are NOT fakes, ie get them from Amazon or an authorised dealer. This particular Sony model has sold very well and there's lots of fakes out there. Similar thing goes for Sennheiser IEM's, though not sure there's fake CX95's out there, but there certainly ARE other Senns fakes.

I'd still strongly advise against using any sort of earphones out in the street.

Well, not to be contrary music (okay, I am being contrary, but in a friendly way), but I use my W3s all the time walking the dangerous streets of Old City Philadelphia without any issues. Having said that, you have to keep your eyes open and head on a semi-swivel, but I offer a counterpoint that using IEMs for walking (which I do twice a day for 30-40 mins. with our dog) can work.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #1,451 of 4,413
^^^^ I wear mine in NYC. You should be careful though.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,452 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, not to be contrary music (okay, I am being contrary, but in a friendly way), but I use my W3s all the time walking the dangerous streets of Old City Philadelphia without any issues. Having said that, you have to keep your eyes open and head on a semi-swivel, but I offer a counterpoint that using IEMs for walking (which I do twice a day for 30-40 mins. with our dog) can work.

No probs, of course you can disagree with me.

I liken it to drinking and driving, where it's not guaranteed you'll have an accident if you drink and drive, but you're certainly more at risk of having an accident. There have been many reported cases of accidents where the pedestrian in question could just not hear what was happening/ coming. There's actually a campaign where I live warning people precisely against this constant use of earphones all over the place.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #1,453 of 4,413
I've been walking in busy NYC street with UM3X and FPE couple with Comply P-tips not as danger as long as one keep his eye open. although these IEM has very good isolation, it is not complete isolation, I can still hear heavy truck and subway train no problem.

If you have the money UM3X is the way to go, else PFE + Fiio E5 will also sound adictive in half of the price.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #1,454 of 4,413
Anyone recommend iheadphones.co.uk, as they are abot £80 cheaper than anyone else re the Um3x or do the westone's come with an international warranty through westone or have to go through the distributor... A big saving but as I work for a large IT org and senior management travel to the US all the time I am considering getting them from the US as they come at a rip off price here vs the US

Users who are viewing this thread

Back