Westone UMPro50 Stage Monitor
Jul 28, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 30
I am a huge fan of W30 as well but to me Pro50 is the better IEM.  Pro 50........
  1. Much more refined sounding
  2. Bass is superior in every regard.
  3. More organic (natural sounding).  Great note decay and never sluggish on complex passages of music.

W30 is brighter and crisper sounding and after short listening sessions.....I could see being perhaps the preferred IEM.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #17 of 30
  I am a huge fan of W30 as well but to me Pro50 is the better IEM.  Pro 50........
  3. More organic (natural sounding).  Great note decay and never sluggish on complex passages of music.

W30 is brighter and crisper sounding and after short listening sessions.....I could see being perhaps the preferred IEM.

Very strange and unexpected for me indeed.

I ran all my test tracks and sine sweeps at different volumes and the only areas where I liked the UM50 better was the very slightly elevated subbass and how they performed at high volumes. I enjoyed the W30 FR curve much more and this is coming from a person who enjoys a bass bump. To each their own I guess. :)

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #18 of 30

Very strange and unexpected for me indeed.

I ran all my test tracks and sine sweeps at different volumes and the only areas where I liked the UM50 better was the very slightly elevated subbass and how they performed at high volumes. I enjoyed the W30 FR curve much more and this is coming from a person who enjoys a bass bump. To each their own I guess. :)

Test tracks, sine sweeps, and FR graphs aside, you are trying to drive a pair of audiophile quality (despite their specific warm/organic tuning) IEMs with a high output impedance X1 or Clip+ or Smartphone sources?  If that is your only source choice, W30 or UM Pro 30 should be your best bet since they are tuned to perform better for commercial use with smartphones or lo-fi audio players.

When you step into category of UM Pro 50, W50, and W60 - you need a very low impedance source, you need to play around with eartips (personally, I get a significant improvement using Shure silicone olive tips with my Westone IEMs), and upgrading your cable (pure silver cable does wonders in comparison to stock Epic cable).  Using smartphone is convenient, but sub $1k flagship multi-driver IEMs need a quality source to bring their sound to a full potential.  Otherwise, you will be disappointed. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #19 of 30

Test tracks, sine sweeps, and FR graphs aside, you are trying to drive a pair of audiophile quality (despite their specific warm/organic tuning) IEMs with a high output impedance X1 or Clip+ or Smartphone sources?  If that is your only source choice, W30 or UM Pro 30 should be your best bet since they are tuned to perform better for commercial use with smartphones or lo-fi audio players.

When you step into category of UM Pro 50, W50, and W60 - you need a very low impedance source, you need to play around with eartips (personally, I get a significant improvement using Shure silicone olive tips with my Westone IEMs), and upgrading your cable (pure silver cable does wonders in comparison to stock Epic cable).  Using smartphone is convenient, but sub $1k flagship multi-driver IEMs need a quality source to bring their sound to a full potential.  Otherwise, you will be disappointed. 

Well... i can not agree on this.

iPhone 6 drives the UM Pro 50 perfectly at all levels. When i switch to iPod Classic + LOD + iBasso T3 the difference is quite marginal.

The Pro 50's (as all westones) impedance distribution is very easy on the source. It's not as picky as the SE846 with that killer ultralow impedance that goes down to 8 ohms.

Pro 50 impedance from 0 to 10K goes between 22 ohms at DC and 49 ohms at the mids. It goes down to 14 ohms at the higher treble where is a neglectible issue.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #20 of 30

Well... i can not agree on this.

iPhone 6 drives the UM Pro 50 perfectly at all levels. When i switch to iPod Classic + LOD + iBasso T3 the difference is quite marginal.

The Pro 50's (as all westones) impedance distribution is very easy on the source. It's not as picky as the SE846 with that killer ultralow impedance that goes down to 8 ohms.

Pro 50 impedance from 0 to 10K goes between 22 ohms at DC and 49 ohms at the mids. It goes down to 14 ohms at the higher treble where is a neglectible issue.

If you are happy with your iPhone 6 setup - it all that matters
beerchug.gif

But when you start comparing with higher quality summit-fi level sources, you will hear a difference, though you will get into this upgrade cycle where sky is the limit and your wallet will be empty.  Like I said, if you are happy with your current setup - enjoy it!!!

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #22 of 30
UM50 is the only truly high end IEM I have ever owned that played as well without an amp as with one.  All others seemed to benefit a little bit WITH an amp so when you are spending that amount of money you feel you should use an amp to get every benefit..  That's a big reason I like it.  Just plug in and go right out of the player. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #23 of 30
UM50 is the only truly high end IEM I have ever owned that played as well without an amp as with one.  All others seemed to benefit a little bit WITH an amp so when you are spending that amount of money you feel you should use an amp to get every benefit..  That's a big reason I like it.  Just plug in and go right out of the player. 

+1

There's a distinct appeal on the simplicity of just plugging the earphone into the iPhone and hit play. With no extra cables or bulk. It's beautiful.

In addition, the Pro 50 gives so much volume that European Union folks can get away with great sound and loud volumes even with volume limited sources.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #24 of 30
hi 

can i just you spyro if you prefered the 846 over the w30's?
it is time to relpace my 846's and i want somthing that sounds less average/harsh , the ie800 are nice to my ears with that sound stage and imaging but the design is dredfull so would never buy them which would be most similar? 

thanks 

i am lookin at w3 150
aurisonics harmony 520
and umpro50's 600

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #25 of 30
  hi 

can i just you spyro if you prefered the 846 over the w30's?
it is time to relpace my 846's and i want somthing that sounds less average/harsh , the ie800 are nice to my ears with that sound stage and imaging but the design is dredfull so would never buy them which would be most similar? 

thanks 

i am lookin at w3 150
aurisonics harmony 520
and umpro50's 600

Owned the Pro 50s, own the W30s, own the SE846 and compared all three a few weeks back.

Sure Westone W30 allows for louder listening than SE846 (without upper mids entering in the fatigue zone) especially and modern brickwalled stuff.

That said, i have always found that for safe listening levels the Shure tone rules and sound far more natural than the Westone analog-uesque warm tone.

Back when i listened very loud i used to wear Westone but since i adjusted to safer listening levels (as i plan on keeping my hearing healthy) i'd rather Shure.

On a good recording at about 90 db SPL Shure sounds life like. From 96 db on Shure iems (Safe for SE215) can sound harsh on many modern recordings.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #26 of 30
cheers mate im goin in for the harmonies! i have found some for a good price near me , i used to own the asg 2 and liked the hybrid design bass, and sound stage i think the harmonies might have better tuning in the higher frequencies? , hopfully  , im off sure 846 completely (other than form) factor glad you enjoy them 

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #27 of 30
I preferred the W30 over the SE846.

The SE846 midrange is too forward and fatiguing after 20 minutes.  W30 has just as fulfilling bass but is more balanced.

Comfort-wise W30 is much better too.

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #28 of 30
wow thats kinda surprising 

846 was just a boring shouty iem to me even with the quality bass the price is not justified personaly think they should stick to microphones tbh

im still perplexed , the game has changed alot since 2 years since i acquired the 846 now that ball chain is on someone esles foot or still even in the carpark where i lost them along west australia,s remote coastal region, who knows  ? I am looking for comfy shoe that fits and can be worn all day 

these are what i am tossing up still and its doin my head in - i just want them all!
earsonics velvet
umpr50
plus1 aurisonics
asg2.5
and harmony aurisonicsi wil

my next purchase must have firstly a captivating soundstage , be bass nuetral or above , and lush liquid vocals , treble takes a pinky toe position - i would like to keep it even tho its not really that important if, ive still got my other toes 

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #29 of 30
  I preferred the W30 over the SE846.

The SE846 midrange is too forward and fatiguing after 20 minutes.  W30 has just as fulfilling bass but is more balanced.

Comfort-wise W30 is much better too.

What I meant was that the overall IEM is more balanced to my ears.  The bell shaped freq response of Shure fatigues my ears particularly because I tend to listen loud.  It's too shouty to me.

It's a preference thing.

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #30 of 30

What I meant was that the overall IEM is more balanced to my ears.  The bell shaped freq response of Shure fatigues my ears particularly because I tend to listen loud.  It's too shouty to me.

It's a preference thing.

SPL is key.

What it's perfect at 93 db can be shouty at 100 db.

A loudness contour thing, i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back