Westone W4 vs. Audio-Technica CK100
Mar 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

markbao

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I recently lost a pair of Klipsch X10s in Cambodia and decided that the day has come to graduate to a higher echelon of auditory enjoyment. I've spent 3.5 billion hours hunched over my computer reading Head-Fi and some other sites, especially the multi-IEM review, to find the best headphone around $500.

The short list is as follows: Westone W4 vs. Audio-Technica CK100.

I listen to all kinds of music, from rap to jazz, indie rock to electronica. I listen mostly out of an iPhone or a MacBook Air, without an amp (I'm backpacking right now and traveling with even a portable amp is a serious drag).

So I ask you, fi-heads: which one should I pick?

CK100

Pros — seems to be somewhat picky with sources and the midrange might suffer, but when it's good the midrange is amazing, especially with vocals. Multi-IEM review says: "I would have no problem declaring the CK100 the best sounding IEM I have heard" (except the source issue hurts it).

Cons — the picky source issue, which sucks. (Anyone try the CK100 with iPhone/MacBook?) Deemphasized treble due to forward midrange.

Westone W4

Pros — 2, no 3, no 4 drivers. So what does that mean? Amazing midrange. Recommended by most posts on Head-Fi for "IEMs under $500". "Smooth and inoffensive." Good balance and soundstage.

Cons — Big-ish. Somewhat "sweet-sounding". "Smooth and inoffensive."

So what do you think? Or did I miss an IEM that's supposed to be amazing? Thanks!

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 9
I didn't heard the westones but I think they would be a better for more genres, the ck100 exceeds with trance and electronic music, but the mids are too forward for rock.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 9
....still laughing.....

Ahem...yes, W4 would be far superior.  Sort of like asking about ER4 versus W4. 

But if you like the CK100 sound the UE900 is probably closer to that type of sound sig (but also better).

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 9
I would have to be in the CK100 camp as well. Whilst I could not agree that it is great for electronic music due to a smaller bass quantity compared to W4, it makes up for it in detail, a well presented midrange for vocals (esp. jazz) and excellent treble presentation.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 9
While the bass is lacking, the mids are truly wonderful and for many tracks I find it does better than many phones.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 9
I have a confession to make. I also use them for electronic music
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back