Westone W80
Jan 9, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #1,171 of 1,446
20200109_180825.jpg

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #1,172 of 1,446
Did someone has experienced very (very) good portable DAC/Amp or DAP synergy with the W80?

I tried several combinations and found a wonderful pairing with the Woo WA8 (it sounds open, airy, rich and detailed), but the WA8 is more a transportable than a portable option (and only have about 4 hours of battery life). Honestly, it’s one of the best matchup I’ve ever heard from all the gear I’ve tried so far.

I did some tries with some DAPs like iBasso DX220 with Amp1 mk2, but I find it a bit too veiled and bloomy in the low-mids (especially with male voices). With Amp9, it sounds rich, but way too much congested (and the hiss is horrible).

The A&K SR15 sounds a bit better to my ears with the W80, but again, not the way that my WA8 can bring it to openness, clarity and richness together. Same thing with my tiny Shanling M0, good but not very exciting… Maybe I’m too demanding from a portable standpoint??

I’m wondering if someone tried the W80 with the iFi micro BL? If it's sounding great with the W80, this could be a good option for me since it have more than enough power to drive my other hungry full-sized cans…

Thanks for your recommendations.

Jan 24, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #1,173 of 1,446
Did someone has experienced very (very) good portable DAC/Amp or DAP synergy with the W80?

I tried several combinations and found a wonderful pairing with the Woo WA8 (it sounds open, airy, rich and detailed), but the WA8 is more a transportable than a portable option (and only have about 4 hours of battery life). Honestly, it’s one of the best matchup I’ve ever heard from all the gear I’ve tried so far.

I did some tries with some DAPs like iBasso DX220 with Amp1 mk2, but I find it a bit too veiled and bloomy in the low-mids (especially with male voices). With Amp9, it sounds rich, but way too much congested (and the hiss is horrible).

The A&K SR15 sounds a bit better to my ears with the W80, but again, not the way that my WA8 can bring it to openness, clarity and richness together. Same thing with my tiny Shanling M0, good but not very exciting… Maybe I’m too demanding from a portable standpoint??

I’m wondering if someone tried the W80 with the iFi micro BL? If it's sounding great with the W80, this could be a good option for me since it have more than enough power to drive my other hungry full-sized cans…

Thanks for your recommendations.

I will get back to you with micro BL comments, let me listen and refresh my mind about that pair up. I'm mostly into portable, and use DAPs as a source. But, wanted to ask you a question, what is your budget? And are you looking for a truly portable source or transportable? Android OS, app streaming, or doesn't matter? Also, based on your sound preference, sounds like you want a pair up that will yield a more controlled bass (shorter decay, without spilling into lower mids) and more transparent and neutral mids to give vocals more clarity, right?

Jan 24, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,174 of 1,446
I will get back to you with micro BL comments, let me listen and refresh my mind about that pair up. I'm mostly into portable, and use DAPs as a source. But, wanted to ask you a question, what is your budget? And are you looking for a truly portable source or transportable? Android OS, app streaming, or doesn't matter? Also, based on your sound preference, sounds like you want a pair up that will yield a more controlled bass (shorter decay, without spilling into lower mids) and more transparent and neutral mids to give vocals more clarity, right?

Hi, it will be very helpful to me to know your impressions on the synergy with the iFi micro BL.

I mostly listen to Tidal HiFi, so yes, an Android-based DAP or a portable DAC/Amp which I will be able to pair with my smartphone with could be the best solution for me. And yes, I'm listening mostly vocal-oriented genres (jazz, acoustic, folk), so a well-controlled bass and a clear, clean and transparent midrange is exactly what I'm looking for. The W80 already have enough warmth in the midrange (especially in the low-midrange), so no need to add some from a source.

Money is no object for the moment.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #1,175 of 1,446
Hi, it will be very helpful to me to know your impressions on the synergy with the iFi micro BL.

I mostly listen to Tidal HiFi, so yes, an Android-based DAP or a portable DAC/Amp which I will be able to pair with my smartphone with could be the best solution for me. And yes, I'm listening mostly vocal-oriented genres (jazz, acoustic, folk), so a well-controlled bass and a clear, clean and transparent midrange is exactly what I'm looking for. The W80 already have enough warmth in the midrange (especially in the low-midrange), so no need to add some from a source.

Money is no object for the moment.

Thanks a lot for your help!

So I have been playing and comparing a handful of DAPs and iFi micro iDSD BL with W80. To my ears, I find every pair up I tried to have plenty of clarity and resolution in mids/vocals, but there is a variation where I hear the lower body of the mids to be more neutral in some vs the others.

For example, Plenue R2, DX160, N6ii w/T01 and E01, and Shanling M6 - they all have a slightly fuller body in lower mids. I don't hear it as veiled, but it does sound thicker and more organic in those pair ups. But when you switch to LPGT, it's a very neutral transparent source, you can hear more transparency and less coloring in mids, especially with lower mids being more neutral. Then, when you switch to @iFi audio micro iDSD BL, in addition to more neutral and transparent mids, the bass also has more control with shorter decay, making bass tighter, with an even cleaner separation from lower mids.

So, your gut-feeling about micro iDSD BL was right :wink:

westone_w80-daps.jpg

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #1,176 of 1,446
So I have been playing and comparing a handful of DAPs and iFi micro iDSD BL with W80. To my ears, I find every pair up I tried to have plenty of clarity and resolution in mids/vocals, but there is a variation where I hear the lower body of the mids to be more neutral in some vs the others.

For example, Plenue R2, DX160, N6ii w/T01 and E01, and Shanling M6 - they all have a slightly fuller body in lower mids. I don't hear it as veiled, but it does sound thicker and more organic in those pair ups. But when you switch to LPGT, it's a very neutral transparent source, you can hear more transparency and less coloring in mids, especially with lower mids being more neutral. Then, when you switch to @iFi audio micro iDSD BL, in addition to more neutral and transparent mids, the bass also has more control with shorter decay, making bass tighter, with an even cleaner separation from lower mids.

So, your gut-feeling about micro iDSD BL was right :wink:

Haha, thanks a lot man, it's appreciated!
I will look towards the iFi... :thumbsup:

Jan 24, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,177 of 1,446
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #1,178 of 1,446
As a manufacturer, we really shouldn't say this, but this machine is no joke. Seriously.

As a reviewer, I really should say this, it's time for you to release your own standalone DAP. Seriously.

:wink:

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #1,180 of 1,446
The only problem with the Micro iDSD it isn't really that portable, so I will have to stick with my xDSD which also drives the W80 nicely, good enough for me anyway.

I'm yet to try xDSD. Would be curious how it compares in sound to micro.

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #1,183 of 1,446
Are my Westone W80's defective?

So my W80's arrived and I was very excited to used them. Tried them first with the stock tips and there was little bass. Switched to the longer tips, which is what I have traditionally used with the Westone's and my first impression listening to female vocals was that they sounded veiled.

I then switched the The Eagles Hotel California and the sub bass in the intro that I am used to just wasn't there so I tried Daft Punk and the bass was so overpowering (mid-bass maybe ?) that I couldn't listen to them.

Also, when my set was packed the cable was folded over at the 3.5mm end and is now basically flattened and unstranded for an inch about an inch from the plug. I don't think the cable is broken because both earbuds sound the same.

When I switched back to my Xelento's the sound was much more to what I am used to listening to. Daps used were the Fiio M11pro and SR15.

Any ideas?

Ken.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #1,184 of 1,446
Are my Westone W80's defective?

So my W80's arrived and I was very excited to used them. Tried them first with the stock tips and there was little bass. Switched to the longer tips, which is what I have traditionally used with the Westone's and my first impression listening to female vocals was that they sounded veiled.

I then switched the The Eagles Hotel California and the sub bass in the intro that I am used to just wasn't there so I tried Daft Punk and the bass was so overpowering (mid-bass maybe ?) that I couldn't listen to them.

Also, when my set was packed the cable was folded over at the 3.5mm end and is now basically flattened and unstranded for an inch about an inch from the plug. I don't think the cable is broken because both earbuds sound the same.

When I switched back to my Xelento's the sound was much more to what I am used to listening to. Daps used were the Fiio M11pro and SR15.

Any ideas?

Ken.

Ken, can you please be a little more specific, did you use foam or silicone eartips and which color? Every pair of Westone eartips is color coded, and each color pair has a different diameter and height.

westone_w-series-v2-03.jpg

Typically, Westone iems arrive with a default grey/black pair. The blue one is the taller one, not sure if that's the one you switch to?

Either way, the quantity of the bass will be directly related to how well your earcanal is sealed using these eartips. It's not necessary longer/shorter, but the diameter and expansion in your earcanal. Also, foam eartips can attenuate some treble energy due to sound being absorbed rather than reflected inside your earcanal, and that could be perceived as slightly veiled effect.

If you are lacking bass, I would step up to red or orange eartips, they are bigger in diameter and will seal your earcanal better. Start with silicone tips, and you can also compare it to foamies.

Regarding the cable, can you take a picture to post it here? Did you get W80 1st or 2nd gen? 1st gen comes with 2 sets of cables, and you can always "check" the sound by switching between the cables, to hear if it's consistent.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #1,185 of 1,446
Thanks for the reply.

I originally tried the Grey/Black Silicone tips and didn't find they had enough bass. I then switched to the Red Silicone that are fairly long. With the red tips I was getting too much mid bass. Perhaps because they went so deep in my ear.

Today I went back to the grey/black silicone tips and they seemed to seal fine. While mid bass was too much it wasn't as bad as the red tips.

As for the cable, while unwound and flattened there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I replaced the cable with the one from my Xelento and the sound was the same.

I guess the biggest problem for me is how thick sounding the mids are with female vocals and to a lesser degree male vocals. To me it is almost like the crossover from bass to mid is too high or not sloped steeply enough for my music taste. The vocals just don't sound natural. Acoustic guitar sounds very thick as well. Almost like you don't hear the start and end of the guitar note, just the middle. (Sorry but I just don't know how to describe it.)

I think it is likely that the sound is what is expected but it simply isn't to my taste. I went from IE800 and 3003i to IE800s and N5005 to Xelento and the N5005. I kept the Xelento and sold the N5005 hoping that the W80 would be the final multi driver form me but I don't think that will be the case. Too bad because at half price they were a great deal.

BTW, love your reviews.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back