What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 16, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #7,051 of 14,566
I'm somewhere in between. I fully realize the R2R DACs aren't going to measure as well as D/S DACs (that is objective truth), but I just "like" their sound more, subjectively. Having said that, I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference in a blind comparison. :)

I fall somewhere in the middle too, but for me, it is gear dependent. I lean more toward to objective side when it comes to DACs, as I often cannot hear differences blindly, and if sighted, have a hard time convincing myself what I am hearing is not a result of my expectation bias ($100 more, $100 better sounding :)). For amplifiers though, I definitely fall more toward the subjective side. How can you measure something like sound stage? My modded Bottlehead Crack has THD+N probably around 0.1%, but you aren't going to convince me some portable SS amp with a THD+N of < 0.001% sounds better (just making up numbers here). The specs can help, but for amps, I gotta have a listen.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #7,052 of 14,566
I'm somewhere in between. I fully realize the R2R DACs aren't going to measure as well as D/S DACs (that is objective truth), but I just "like" their sound more, subjectively. Having said that, I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference in a blind comparison. :)

100% agree. I have both a Bimby and a Bifrost Uber. I actually picked up the Bimby first and it is my primary DAC but I needed additional inputs and got the Bifrost Uber cheap. I like the Bimby better, but not sure how I would do comparing the two in a blind test either.

:)

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #7,055 of 14,566
You are smart, enjoying a hopefully pleasant experience. Enjoy the music.

Over the years of collecting Schiit I never bothered looking at the specs with great interest. When I got one of the first Yggy's all I cared about was what a great analog sounding DAC it was. The equal of my VPI Classic 3 setup at a fraction of the cost. Heck, Yggy by itself is less than my cartridge!! Prior to that digital was always coming up short.

It's a dismal situation when people elsewhere start bringing up consumer fraud and promoting full monetary refund in a hobby we use primarily our ears for without (most likely) having used the product to make music.

I hope this ends well. I have my doubts.

I am tuning most of this out now and looking forward to playing music with the new analog boards when Yggy is back Wednesday.:smile_phones:

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #7,056 of 14,566
Right?! Desecrating a Who tie die by wearing it to the opera. Unfathomable! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
+1,000,000 :)

Can you see the real me...can you?

Hmmm...guess I like Opera after all! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #7,057 of 14,566
A quality single malt should never touch an ice cube! Some water is just fine but no ice!!!!
How do you feel about those rocks you put in the freezer?

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #7,059 of 14,566
Marcello had that same problem with his voice ringing in my ears, sibilance, distortion, phantom harmonics, choose your word. Other vocalists were fine. Any idea on the culprit? Has anyone else had this problem? It primarily affects voices and not instruments.

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #7,062 of 14,566
Marcello had that same problem with his voice ringing in my ears, sibilance, distortion, phantom harmonics, choose your word. Other vocalists were fine. Any idea on the culprit? Has anyone else had this problem? It primarily affects voices and not instruments.
What you describe happens to me every day at the end of the day. I cannot listen to music with vocals after working all day. I have been attributing it to my own fatigue. I only listen to nonvocal music at the end of the day.

I think that the singer in question is doing the same to you.

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #7,063 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back