What are great headphones for r&b?
May 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PatriotsFan

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm looking to purchase some headphones for r&b. I've been looking at audio technica m50, beyer dynamics dt770, senheiser hd650, and I think it's called "grado 80". But these headphones are kind if old and I was wondering if any better has came out recently. I used to have the beats by dre pro and they were perfect! I'd like another pair like them but was wondering if there's better quality headphones.

My limit is $500. I want headphones with great bass, great sound, and noise isolation helps but is not needed. They also need to be closed back.

Please give me some suggestions and tell why you have them. Thanks

May 12, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 4
Headphones' tech doesn't evolve as fast as other electronic devices. There are older headphones with an overall better sound than most of the new stuff...
None of those recommendations will suit you because you're looking for really bassy headphones which is not precisely what people here consider as good headphones (I presume portable use). Don't spend that much either.

May 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 4
I actually think your list right there would all work great for R&B minus the Grados and HD650s (the 650s will sound good, but you mentioned you wanted closed).

One thing that I should just let you know off the bat though, is that quantity wise, none of those headphones will supply as much bass as Dre Beats.  However, they are still considered to be bass heavy in comparison to other cans, and the mids/highs will be greatly superior to those of Beats.

The M50s would be your best bet if you want to stay in the reasonable price range without needing any types of amplification.  They might not hit like Beats, but the bass is still very strong on them without drowning everything else out.  The Denon D2000's (which are now discontinued) were my favorite pair of closed headphones and worked fantastically with R&B (the bass on them is very impactful and high quality).  I've also heard great things about Beyer DT770 80 ohms (also lots of bass).  V-Moda M100's are also another great pair of headphones that I demo'ed at the store and was very impressed with.  The majority of my music is R&B and hiphop so I think you might be able to find my experiences helpful.

May 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Hey guys I'm looking to purchase some headphones for r&b. I've been looking at audio technica m50, beyer dynamics dt770, senheiser hd650, and I think it's called "grado 80". But these headphones are kind if old and I was wondering if any better has came out recently. I used to have the beats by dre pro and they were perfect! I'd like another pair like them but was wondering if there's better quality headphones.

My limit is $500. I want headphones with great bass, great sound, and noise isolation helps but is not needed. They also need to be closed back.

ATH-W1000X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back