What are the best closed back headphones for electronic music below $1000 in 2020?
May 30, 2020 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

deafmutelame

100+ Head-Fier
producto27914.jpg

According to a lot of reviews, the Fostex TH900 Mk2 might be what I'm after. But they are way beyond $1000...

So,

I plan to shortlist a few headphones before I audition them in the shop.

I'm looking for tight and physical bass and deep sub-bass —that doesn't shadow most of the spectrum, though— paired with razor sharp trebles —without sibilance— to listen to psytrance, trance, techno, house...

Please list your favorite headphones for electronic music and how would you compare them against other headphones you have owned.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 8
Few options out there:
Audeze LCD-XC (reasonably physical bass with good treble response if you can bear the weight of the headphones-- a bit of a neck workout)
Sony MDR-Z7m2 (to my ears, it's somewhat lacking all-around in technicalities, but they do bass well and decent treble response)
ZMF Blackwood (very good bass slam ... treble is smooth though, not "razor sharp")
I would throw in the Elegia, but you won't get visceral bass without a pad-swap and a solid EQ bump 100Hz and under (it's somewhat polite in stock form)...
I would also second the Aeon Flow Closed (but they're quite amp picky and need aggressive EQing to get more dynamicism-- rather flat sounding stock)
Although, I hear that the AFC 2 is a significant improvement but I haven't heard them myself, so 🤷‍♂️...

May 31, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 8
Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO, Campfire Audio Cascade, Fostex TH-X00.

These are some of the best sub-1,000 headphones for dance music, IMO.

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 8
For edm Kennerton Gjallarhorn is amazing close back

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 8
I prrsonally hat the LCD2 closed back, and they were great for EDM.

However the New Kennerton Gjallahorn have amazing reviews for that kind, I'd try those first

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 8
If you like the BAM!!! effect then the Gjallarhorn is the way to go. The price I paid was $903 usd. I was listening to a track and found my 1266 TC has no BAM and that leaves a lot to be desired. Now I am over powering the Ghorn off WA33 which is 10 watts of dynamic power. But off my Hugo TT2 I'm getting close to the same bass output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back