What are the best headphones on the market today?
Oct 3, 2022 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Phronesis

Headphoneus Supremus
A few years ago, I bought an LCD-3, LCD-i4, Focal Clear, and Sennheiser HD800S. All are still very good. Back then, I compared the LCD-3 and LCD-4 and didn't think the LCD-4 was significantly better. I also compared the Clear and Utopia and slightly preferred the Clear (Utopia was a touch too bright for my ears).

I haven't shopped the headphone market since then, so I have no idea what's on the market these days. If price isn't a consideration, are there any headphones currently on the market which most people would agree are significantly better than the headphones I have?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 51
I've had the hd800s a couple of times, and currently have the Hifiman he6se which I like even more than the Arya which I've got too. The he6se is smooth and detailed, the Arya has forward upper mids like when Adele hits higher notes she sounds too forward and same for other singers in the range.
Maybe going to a CanJam would be a fun way to try the high end stuff in one day to avoid sidegrading.

Oct 4, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 51
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 51
ZMF Atrium when comparing to other TOTL headphones IMHO might be the best in price to performance in the $2K and up bracket.

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 51
Voce estat, Rall CA-1a, Susvara, Final Audio D8000, close out on HEK v2 are at my apex.

Oct 4, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 51
No love for LCD-5?

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #10 of 51
No love for LCD-5?
love the OC LCD-4 - no like the newer version. Haven't heard the 5 myself. Reviews are mixed.

I will toss shade on the Emp however. Too much $ for easy listening.

Oct 4, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 51
They are not "better" per se. Sennheiser HD800s are still better than some crazy expensive TOTL headphones in many ways.
Anyways, Im sure you can find anything that you like more than those that you already owned, just don't expect to get blown away because newer isn't always better.
Nor is more expensive always better. There's really no way to say this is better than that since we all hear things a little (or a lot) differently.

Oct 4, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 51
It's likely only the SR1a qualifies here, and while more technically proficient, it's more that they present things far differently.

You can build a system around the HD800 that can scale with the best still.

Oct 6, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 51
"Best" is very subjective here so I can list a few top performer that are worth reading up on.

Meze Elite
Meze Empyrean
T+A Solitaire P
Audeze CRBN
Raal CA-1A
Abyss 1266TC
Hifiman Susvara
DCA Expanse
ZMF Atrium
Final D8000 Pro
Stax X9000

The market has a lot of high quality options nowadays, depending on your taste. However that doesn't make your current headphones any worse...

Oct 6, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 51
To add to @ThanatosVI list as there's quite a few weird omissions.

I'd remove the Meze Empyrean if we're purely talking sound quality as it's nowhere near the rest of that list for performance and doesn't really belong in that company.

I'd also add a few lower tiered options so you're not looking purely at Summit-Fi.

Focal Utopia 2022
HiFiMan Arya Stealth
HiFiMan HE-1000V2
ZMF Verite Closed
Audeze LCD5
Audeze LCD4
Abyss Diana TC

And on the ultra high end

Warwick Acoustics Bravura
Warwick Acoustics Aperio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back