What are the best hifi heaphones with the price tag of $2000+??
Jun 10, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm very new to this realm and very curious why some of the headphones have such a high price tags. Perhaps, I can hear from all you experts' thoughts and experiences. Thank you!
With headphones, it's not always price that tells the story. Yes, some of the real expensive ones are awesome. But, there are great headphones at many different price points. I do own the Fostex TH-900 MKII, which go for $1500. I think they are excellent and sound great,but there are others that would debate they are not that great for the price. I'm not rich, I'm still paying off the Fostex. For example; I also own the Audio-Technica ATH-M70x which are only $300. I think they sound great too, and I use them often.

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 8
With headphones, it's not always price that tells the story. Yes, some of the real expensive ones are awesome. But, there are great headphones at many different price points.

This is so true. I much prefer the HiFiMan HE-500 (which was $900 MSRP, $500 before getting discontinued), ZMF Blackwood ($700), and ZMF Ori ($900), to the vast majority of >$1k and >$2k headphones. That probably applies to the HiFiMan Sundara too but I haven't listened to it yet. I'm returning my Audeze LCD-4 ($3,995) because I like my ZMF Blackwood and Ori better, as they sound much more natural due to not having obvious treble recession.

Really the only uber expensive headphones I like more than any of those sub $1k ones I named (but not necessarily all of those) are the HE-6, maybe the HE1000/HE1000v2 (would have to bring one home and A/B test them, though I consider the HE1000 to have essentially flawless sound), and the Stax SR-007/SR-009/SR-009S (safe bet) which I crown.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back