What are the best "WeebPhones"?
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

RedVelvetLuna

Head-Fier
What do you guys think is the best headphones that are amazing for "weeb" music, but also very decent for gaming?

EDIT:

After listening to some advice on this thread and doing my own personal research, I really love the Focal Clear's as of now for 1500$. The Z1R, 9bt, and LCD2 were also recommended.

Now to find where I can even buy a pair of Focal Clear's because I can't find them available anywhere someone please help!! xD

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 91
I love my kpop, jpop, jrock, vocaloid, female vocals, and everything associated with weeb music. I also love gaming, but playing mostly Overwatch I don't believe sound is THAT important but it would be nice for it to sound at least decent. I've been recommended all sorts of things, the HD800 for it's soundstage, HD800S, ATH AD2000x for it's female vocals, ATH ADX5000, HD660S for it's imaging, and so on, and it's all really hard for me to decide on, especially with such a big investment, I really try to do my research.

What do you guys think is the best headphones that are amazing for "weeb" music, but also very decent for gaming?

AKG K701. Huge soundstage and it was on an anime. You're gonna need a fair bit of amp though - a little over 512mW into 62ohms (look into something like the AudioGD NFB-11).
images

What does weeb officially mean?

It's not on the Oxford Dictionary yet so this is as official as it gets.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=weaboo

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 91
What does weeb officially mean?
Just someone who is a big fan of anime and Japanese culture in general, even though I am more into Korean culture. Basically, I watch a lot of Korean dramas, listen to a lot of Korean music, things like that. I try to deny being a "true weeb" but I wouldn't mind living there.. but I will justify it somehow anyways xD

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 91
Mar 29, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 91
Just someone who is a big fan of anime and Japanese culture in general, even though I am more into Korean culture. Basically, I watch a lot of Korean dramas, listen to a lot of Korean music, things like that. I try to deny being a "true weeb" but I wouldn't mind living there.. but I will justify it somehow anyways xD
You mean stuff that sounds like this one? XD This has got to be the most entertaining kpop video I've seen lately. There's something viral about this video.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 91
You mean stuff that sounds like this one? XD This has got to be the most entertaining kpop video I've seen lately. There's something viral about this video.

I mean.. my name literally has Red Velvet in it, it's my favorite group, especially their "Red" songs. Basically, Red Velvet has two personalities, "Red" which is more.. lively and fast, so think "Happiness" "Red Flavor" and "Russian Roulette", then they have Velvet songs like "Would you" and "One of These Nights" which are great too but I prefer the fast and jumpy and happy "Red" songs much more.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 91
I mean dr pepper was in stein's gate, but it still tastes like medicine c:

I happen to like Dr Pepper. But anyway, as for headphones, it's hard to get any more "weeb" than a headphone that was actually used for an anime. It's not like if they used Beats I'd end up recommending it.

I mean.. my name literally has Red Velvet in it, it's my favorite group, especially their "Red" songs. Basically, Red Velvet has two personalities, "Red" which is more.. lively and fast, so think "Happiness" "Red Flavor" and "Russian Roulette", then they have Velvet songs like "Would you" and "One of These Nights" which are great too but I prefer the fast and jumpy and happy "Red" songs much more.

All the stores here are closed for Good Friday and I can't get any ice cream cake right now. Sad.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 91
I happen to like Dr Pepper. But anyway, as for headphones, it's hard to get any more "weeb" than a headphone that was actually used for an anime. It's not like if they used Beats I'd end up recommending it.

All the stores here are closed for Good Friday and I can't get any ice cream cake right now. Sad.
I mean more like.. that would sound good for weeb media consumption. For example, I love female kpop groups, so something like the 2000x seems very appealing to me because of it's apparently incredible midrange and treble to push those female vocals. I just worry a bit about the lack of bass because some groups such as 4minute and blackpink often have more bass in their songs, which is a reason I am hesitant on the 2000x. The X5000 seems like a much improved version of the 2000x, but I also worry about it because it seems much more analytical and often times kpop isn't mixed very well and I don't want those faults to stand out. The HD800 seems like an amazing deal, I have seen 3 go for 600$ this week on here, but it also seems very analytical, difficult to drive and pair with an amp, and seems better suited for classical music which is CERTAINLY not my thing. The 660S seems to have a not so great treble, but it seems much newer and I have trouble finding much information about it.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 91
I mean more like.. that would sound good for weeb media consumption. For example, I love female kpop groups, so something like the 2000x seems very appealing to me because of it's apparently incredible midrange and treble to push those female vocals. I just worry a bit about the lack of bass because some groups such as 4minute and blackpink often have more bass in their songs, which is a reason I am hesitant on the 2000x. The X5000 seems like a much improved version of the 2000x, but I also worry about it because it seems much more analytical and often times kpop isn't mixed very well and I don't want those faults to stand out. The HD800 seems like an amazing deal, I have seen 3 go for 600$ this week on here, but it also seems very analytical, difficult to drive and pair with an amp, and seems better suited for classical music which is CERTAINLY not my thing. The 660S seems to have a not so great treble, but it seems much newer and I have trouble finding much information about it.

HD650/6XX/660S have good treble and midrange, but since you're also going to use it for gaming, these are not necessarily the best out there because they don't image a deep enough soundstage. HD600 is fine for me but most other people need that extra soundstage depth for positional audio. I use angled Brainwavz HM5 pads on mine but the added depth is more of pushing the cymbals closer to the center and slightly to the rear of the vocals than absolute depth, and it also boosts the low end, which can make the HD650/6XX/660S treble even weaker for your perception.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 91
HD650/6XX/660S have good treble and midrange, but since you're also going to use it for gaming, these are not necessarily the best out there because they don't image a deep enough soundstage. HD600 is fine for me but most other people need that extra soundstage depth for positional audio. I use angled Brainwavz HM5 pads on mine but the added depth is more of pushing the cymbals closer to the center and slightly to the rear of the vocals than absolute depth, and it also boosts the low end, which can make the HD650/6XX/660S treble even weaker for your perception.
Yeah but like.. Overwatch, which again isn't a very heavily based sound game, so I'm not too worried. My question here would be would the 660S be worth it when I can find a HD800 for just a little bit more expensive used.

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #14 of 91
Yeah but like.. Overwatch, which again isn't a very heavily based sound game, so I'm not too worried. My question here would be would the 660S be worth it when I can find a HD800 for just a little bit more expensive used.

Practically everyone that used the HD6xx line complains about the size of the soundstage being imaged, Overwatch included. I don't mind it for the games I play since I use it more for immersion than to pinpoint sound sources, but if I've seen that kind of feedback I'd note it. For music you can definitely do much worse - only the soundstage size is the problem but otherwise the location of each instrument is proportional enough to each other.

That said, even if you don't care too much about the soundstage, the problem is that many people find the HD650/6XX/660S too dark. If you specified that you were looking for something warm then no problem. But if you're looking for a good deal of treble your initial impression of them might not be good. The treble curve is relatively smooth, and so is the bass curve, the thing is it's much stronger below 1000hz than above it. So while the treble is smooth the problem is that that imbalance makes people focus too much on how much stronger the bass is and think there's no treble.

My HD600 is EQ-d and using angled earpads that apart from moving the cymbals closer to the center together make for a sound that's closer to the HD650, ie, its 3500hz peak flattened and everything below 50hz brought up a bit more. Since pop music, and particularly K-Pop, can be recorded quite hot (and I'm not talking about T-Ara's dancing), not making the treble any brighter is a good thing. No way to tell if that will be great for you.

That won't be a problem on the HD800 though. If you can get it for the same price as the HD660S, then it might be a good buy. Just note that that won't necessarily be a bargain for long - earpads for the HD800 cost $90 per pair. The HD6xx series' costs $60 but there quality alternatives like the Brainwavz HM5 pads will fit on the mounting bracket of the original Sennheiser pads, and they cost $20 to $25. At least take that into account, especially if the reason for the low price is that they're worn out. Cable replacements aren't cheap either, because unlike the HD6xx and HD25 series that use proprietary Sennheiser plugs, there are at least a lot more of them out there to make the cable prices affordable.

If anything though they'd be a lot less finicky about amplification than the K701. Although personally even at that price I'd be more inclined to get the K702 (HD600 or Massdrop X Sennheiser HD58X if you really don't care about soundstage), although the AKG earpads cost the same.

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #15 of 91
Practically everyone that used the HD6xx line complains about the size of the soundstage being imaged, Overwatch included. I don't mind it for the games I play since I use it more for immersion than to pinpoint sound sources, but if I've seen that kind of feedback I'd note it. For music you can definitely do much worse - only the soundstage size is the problem but otherwise the location of each instrument is proportional enough to each other.

That said, even if you don't care too much about the soundstage, the problem is that many people find the HD650/6XX/660S too dark. If you specified that you were looking for something warm then no problem. But if you're looking for a good deal of treble your initial impression of them might not be good. The treble curve is relatively smooth, and so is the bass curve, the thing is it's much stronger below 1000hz than above it. So while the treble is smooth the problem is that that imbalance makes people focus too much on how much stronger the bass is and think there's no treble.

My HD600 is EQ-d and using angled earpads that apart from moving the cymbals closer to the center together make for a sound that's closer to the HD650, ie, its 3500hz peak flattened and everything below 50hz brought up a bit more. Since pop music, and particularly K-Pop, can be recorded quite hot (and I'm not talking about T-Ara's dancing), not making the treble any brighter is a good thing. No way to tell if that will be great for you.

That won't be a problem on the HD800 though. If you can get it for the same price as the HD660S, then it might be a good buy. Just note that that won't necessarily be a bargain for long - earpads for the HD800 cost $90 per pair. The HD6xx series' costs $60 but there quality alternatives like the Brainwavz HM5 pads will fit on the mounting bracket of the original Sennheiser pads, and they cost $20 to $25. At least take that into account, especially if the reason for the low price is that they're worn out. Cable replacements aren't cheap either, because unlike the HD6xx and HD25 series that use proprietary Sennheiser plugs, there are at least a lot more of them out there to make the cable prices affordable.

If anything though they'd be a lot less finicky about amplification than the K701. Although personally even at that price I'd be more inclined to get the K702 (HD600 or Massdrop X Sennheiser HD58X if you really don't care about soundstage), although the AKG earpads cost the same.
In all honesty, I've been leaning towards the 800S and X5000 along with cheap *short term* amplification like the a30 + d30 with a budget of around 2000$. The other option I have is buying a more mid tier phone like the 1/2000x along with a fancy new monitor, but I think upgrading my audio setup is more important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back