What are "the HD650's" of the Amp and DAC worlds? Units that are truly clean and neutral and which most faithfully represent the digital audio file they're outputting? The "Reference Monitors" of Amps/DACs?
Jul 4, 2022 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TyTB

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm always hesitant to make a post on Head-Fi, given how controversial so many topics in the Audiophile world are, but this is something I've been wondering for a while, and haven't been able to find answers to.

It's easy to find lists of Amps and DACs that are recommended for the HD600, 650, 6XXs. They include models like the Schitt Fulla, Modi/Magni, the Open Amp / O2 Amp, the Atom, etc. However, the justification given for these model recommendations is typically more about price and impedance than anything else. I keep seeing the same justification of "Uhh you have 300 Ohm headphones at a $400 price, so here's your $200 amp".

What I'm wondering though is more about the prestige and reputation established by the Amp/DAC, not because I care about brands or clout or anything, but rather, because I want to know what stands the test of time the same way the HD650s have.

I mean, I realize it's impossible to make a definitive statement on Head-Fi without angering someone, but I think it's fair to say that the HD650s/600s/6XXs are one of the most well-respected headphones ever made, especially given their price. Are their better headphones out there? Of course, and yet, the HD6es are still consistently recommended for being truly neutral. They don't over-emphasize anything, and represent the digital audio file extremely faithfully. That's what I care about: I want the song to enter my ears as close to the way the artist intended for it to sound, regardless of if I think it could use a little more bass or a little more trebel.

I want to know what the equivalent DAC and Amp are to the HD6es Neutrality, clearness, and resolution. Units that don't impart any flavour or twist on the sound, that represent the music as faithfully and accurately to its digital audio file as possible. Of course, I realize the sky is the limit with this sort of thing, so I'll set a price limit of around $500 USD (for BOTH an Amp and a DAC) for my question.

Based on what I've read on HeadFi a few years ago, I've had my eyes on the Schitt Bifrost and Valhalla. However, Schitt has changed their catalogue and pricing in the years since I first found them, so now, the Bifrost is out of my budget, so I'm thinking the Modius DAC ($229), and the Valhalla 2 Amp ($399).

BUT WAIT you say, "Didn't you just say you wanted neutrality? Then why are you wanting a tube amp?" Well, truthfully, I first came across these products years ago, and was thinking more about how cool the tubes looked at the time, instead of fidelity. That said, I like the idea of being able to change the sound signature by swapping tubes... plus I can put in solid-state caps for greater fidelity and neutrality.

That said, I realize the contradiction, so I'm also open to the Magnius ($199) solid-state Amp.

However, Schitt has also brought out the Jotunheim and Lyr Amp-DAC Combos... and I don't even know how to approach those ones, or why they might be better/worse than two separate units... and then there's still all the other amps and dacs on the market... oh boy.

Any help, discussion, or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 13
HD650's are neutral ?

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 13
Just about everything in that price bracket is gonna sound, within decimal points, roughly the same. Impedance match your cans and get what looks like a deal out of what’s left to work with.

If I were you, personally, I’d try to stretch the budget to around a grand and look at a better quality mid-fi all in one, like a burson or something

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 13
TLDR please.

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 13
Jul 6, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #8 of 13
Bifrost and Gilmore come right to mind.

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 13
I know this isnt what you asked, but calling hd650 neutral is pure cap.
There super mid centric well neglecting both lows and highs (which is fine.... but im really tired of people saying there the ''golden standard'' for neutrality).

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 13
There are those that would say a Valhalla is maybe the perfect amp for hd650s.

If you really want neutral I had an Atom years ago and it was pretty much the definition of neutral to the point of being clinical and sucked all the fun out of music.

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 13
As my reference for neutral I still have my og hd600 and a JD Labs Element 2 headphone amp. I tend to dust them off and use them as a ear/head reset when purchasing new headphones. I don't tend to use the hd600 for 'enjoying music'. I'm in a fortunate position to be able to have headphones for the various moods I'm in for getting lost in music rather than analysing it. The element's other duties at home are as a preamp.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 13
Corda jazz ff prob fits the description.

Dec 12, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 13
After a lot of research I'm going to say the JDS Labs products. The below is basically their company motto.

"Units that are truly clean and neutral and which most faithfully represent the digital audio file they're outputting"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back